WOO - world of our own

Started by Gepard, Wed 04/11/2009 09:29:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Gepard

Yes, having users make their own structures sounds good, but unfortunately my scripting knowledge doesnt go that far. Good idea though. On the other hand I think the game slider might just spoil the game. Everyone would just put it to the fastest speed and see what happens. Dunno. I was also thinking of turning this thingie into a screensaver but dont know how. As for their building capabilities: yes, they only build four floors high but they dont rebuild.

Thanks for your feedback Snake.
Drink up me 'arties! Yo ho!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gepard on Thu 05/11/2009 15:04:49
I also had this idea - If anyone wants to like extend this game, to make it more complex or something like that, I will be happy to send it to you.
Gepard, your game actually gave me inspiration. Can you please send it to me? I wish to check how game mechanic work. Probably I may extend it or make another game based on similar concept/style.

Snake

I've got 5 structures and 7 people right now and there's conciderable slowdown when they are walking around, but not when they are building. I'm guessing it's from constant checking of variables in rep_exec?

Does anyone else experience slowdown? It's not unbearable, but something I have noticed.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snake on Thu 05/11/2009 15:41:03
Does anyone else experience slowdown? It's not unbearable, but something I have noticed.

Yeah, me too.

Wonkyth

Yeah, Sloow.

Also snake, it is possible to make it run while it doesn't have the focus using SetMultitaskingMode().
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

arj0n

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 05/11/2009 15:41:50
Quote from: Snake on Thu 05/11/2009 15:41:03

Yeah, me too.
Yup

Gepard

Well I think its obvious now that it is not just my computer :D It must be the game checking the repeatedly execute. It has quite a lot to check to be honest :D
Drink up me 'arties! Yo ho!

Dualnames

Quote from: Gepard on Fri 06/11/2009 11:57:45
Well I think its obvious now that it is not just my computer :D It must be the game checking the repeatedly execute. It has quite a lot to check to be honest :D

Oh,anyway, besides that I think the idea is totally awesome!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DrWhite

Yes, I also totally like the idea. But as the third guy appeared an built his structure, my Pentium3 / 500 gave up...

OneDollar

Really interesting and inspiring. I never really thought about making an AI controlled 'game' like this before, but now I'm getting loads of ideas. If only I didn't already have a couple of complicated programming projects on the go...

There's probably ways of fixing the slowdown, possibly diving up up your repeatedly_execute code into several sections, and only processing one each frame?

Anyway, nice work!

Crimson Wizard

Sorry for bringing this up. I finally started to study the code of this game, and found there's A LOT of excessive things done in room's repeatedly execute function. For instance, large string arrays are being reinitialized every tick over and over again. There's a room for improvement.

I will try to update the script to AGS 3.2 and enhance it where I can, and see if this speed things up.

Crimson Wizard

I made ALOT of optimization to the original code.
It was both tough and amusing :=

And I think game is running much faster now.
To be honest I am not sure how much game speed was affected by upgrading from AGS 2.72 to AGS 3.2 RC3, but I want to believe it was mainly my work  ;D

Here's what I called WOO 1.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/m5wmftmjyf1/WOO_1_2.zip
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/116916/WOO_1_2.zip

For those who are interested, - please test and tell are there any bugs and if speed is actually better. This is very important to me to know that nothing was screwed up during remaking of the script.

It's a bit unfinished, because music and fonts are missing (Gepard promised he will find them later).
Game process was not changed, there are maybe only few slight differences in characters behavior, which aren't important.
Only new feature I added is "Hurry up" key. By pressing SPACE you'll reset all game timers and that will usually speed up game events, such as new character appearance and rooms building.

Oh, yes, I don't remember Gepard mentioned that, there's 8 characters max, plus a chance to get Cat, Army Robot and Nanobot (last three will appear only if certain rooms are built).

EDIT: I found a bug myself, apparently the guys refuse to go to 3rd floor and thus only 2 levels are built.
Here's fixed version:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/504nj1glzmn/WOO_1_2_1.zip
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/116988/WOO_1_2_1.zip

TheMagician

Crimson, your MediaFire-Link doesn't seem to work. I'd love to have a look at your version.

Crimson Wizard

Whoops, looks like I deleted it occasionally.

But I sent final version to Gepard, and he said he is going to post it on game page soon. It is compiled in AGS 2.72 and yet plays as fast as in AGS 3, so my optimization really worked :)
Meanwhile, you can take it here, I guess Gepard won't mind:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tz1mnmj0zgt/WOO_1_2_3_272.zip

By the way, I wished my code be free, so once again if Gepard won't mind I'd ask him to give download link to project itself later.

ddq

Really interesting! I've got a deranged schizophrenic on top of the elevator tower whose constant insane ramblings have scared the rest of the population to silence, but all in all, very nice.

Edit: Solved the mystery of the tower man. Turns out he's actually all of them. After a while, everyone just followed him up there and never came down, presumably to hide from the little robot.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ddq on Thu 04/03/2010 23:19:43
Really interesting! I've got a deranged schizophrenic on top of the elevator tower whose constant insane ramblings have scared the rest of the population to silence, but all in all, very nice.
In some of the previous versions of my new code there was a bug which allowed character to ride to the floor that wasnt yet built, thus making him stuck in the air on top of elevator shaft (because walkable areas were not enabled yet there)  ;D
But now it should be fixed.

Wyz

Whoa, this is pretty amazing :D I use to have a screen saver that was like Sim-city but it would build a city on its own. This kind of reminds me of that! :D
Well it could work as screen saver, I'll try to make a loader for it!

Update!
http://wyz.agser.me/dl/other/WooScr.zip

I made a screensaver loader. You place it in the same map as Woo, right click on it and choose install. You can click settings to bring up the AGS setup pane.
This loader actually works for all AGS games! You just have to alter the filename to match the game executable.
Have fun!
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk