feedback for new interface

Started by lsd_puppy, Sat 19/04/2003 22:17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

lsd_puppy

This is my first game and the only work I've done before is web development so it probably shows in my new interface.  I created the graphics in PSP.  I'm unsure about how to improve it - I think it's a little awkward.  There is only a blank room to show the interface and it can be found at:

http://wind.prohosting.com/~echicken/index.htm

Be harsh if you want, I won't cry.

Evil

well, i hate it to be honest. it will most likely be anoying and people will not want to play your game... sry...

Scummbuddy

wow, evil.  you want to tell why it'd be annoying so perhaps they could change it.....
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Duzz

it wasn't THAT bad! I thought it was pretty cool, The ball thing should be smaller when minimised though...
  It is a bit awkward, but better than that damn verb coin imo.

The only problem with a non-fixed gui is that if it gets in the way of  stuff in the actuall game, continuously moving it out of the way will become annoying.

also make it so ANY click on an inventory item (apart from look maybe) will select the item.  it's annoying having to scroll through to the 'use' icon to select an inventory item
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

lsd_puppy

I already have a ball minimised sprite, so I'll script that in.

I'll try to keep most of the action in the lower two thirds of the screen, so the GUI only needs to be moved if the user wants to.

And I think the inventory is handled in the game engine but i'll change it to run in script.

Thanks for the help,  8)

Hollister Man

I liked it a lot.  You need to soften the edges a little, or maybe on a darker background it will work.  The hand icon brings out the microphone, though.  I agree you should make the ball smaller when closed, since it is actually possible to work a game fine without any GUI at all.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

Timosity

This is very innovative, probably one of the more original interface ideas i've seen for a while.

I can see how it could be annoying if it was in the way, but I don't think it would be a problem if designed right.

well done

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk