Raiders of the Lost Ark - Tanis

Started by quo_sp, Mon 06/12/2010 19:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Personally I think it adds character to the sand.  It makes it look like it's heaped over some rock formation that's crumbling underneath, which is supported by all the surrounding pillars.  Once he gets the background sand and the mountains adjusted the result will probably look much more convincing.

quo_sp

Thank you very much Babar and ProgZmax, I will try to improve it with your tips.

By the way in order to advance,  I have started a new background.

Those are the first steps:

Chicky

You seem to be doing a great job of mixing your hand pixel work with the film stills. As ProgZ mentioned, tweak the colour of the photo to match your sand.

With the latest image i would suggest trying to add some of the hard shadows cast in the photo to your image, it will help determine the walkable areas when you add the map.

quo_sp

Chicky, about the lastes image, shades will be applied later, after finish the background.

A little more work of smothing.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

You want to be careful matching the scale of the scene since your Indy is considerably shorter than Indy is in the photo.  You might want to reduce the scale of the city as a result.

quo_sp

I know ProgZmax, but I think in this case it dosen't matter, by the way I have this same background from another angle that appear in the film too. So this backgroung can be view from two diferents angles.

I don't have show the other angle background in order not reveal too much, but I think is too late  :).
I showed a little part of this background, this:

Is the same background from other angle.

About the current backgroung I have advanced in the pictures in the wall, and only for test and not definitive I have added a few shades and light to see how will look when be finished.

markbilly

When you have drawn the city, you may want to reduce the saturation/contrast of the walls and ceiling, so the city remains the focus. The walls and ceiling contain much more complex textures than the city (judging by your preview of the other angle) and so if you are not careful this will force them to become the focus of the scene - which obviously isn't the aim.

I love what you are doing with this, by the way! :)

Mati256

Really impressive quo! And the speed you are drawing this is also impressive!
Which software are you using?
My Blog! (En Español)

quo_sp

markbilly thank you I will have in mind when I improve it.

Mati256, as I try to simulate FOA way I have thinked that the best is to use the same tools that was used for FOA, so now I am using Deluxe paint II. Yes, it is an old program but I thin that still works for this kind of backgrounds. By the way for improve sure I will use another software, especialy for shades.

subspark

QuoteYou want to be careful matching the scale of the scene since your Indy is considerably shorter than Indy is in the photo
I agree care is required. Quo has it pretty much spot on, by making sure the center of the sunbeam goes right over the head of the staff, which in this case, it does.

Also Quo,
Agreeing with markbilly, when you've finished laying down the city and all the details that come with this room, you may want to consider applying some of those shade/blending techniques we spoke about a page back.
This space can look superb and inevitably will, I'm certain.

Top pixel work man. 1up! :)

Sparky.

Mad

Just a minor nitpick from me.
If the wall paintings are not on plaster, but directly painted on the blocks of stone, one should still be able to see the seams.

I did this very cheaply by applying lines with low opacity...

Otherwise great work, keep it up!

Joseph DiPerla

Quote from: quo_sp on Sat 01/01/2011 18:17:56
markbilly thank you I will have in mind when I improve it.

Mati256, as I try to simulate FOA way I have thinked that the best is to use the same tools that was used for FOA, so now I am using Deluxe paint II. Yes, it is an old program but I thin that still works for this kind of backgrounds. By the way for improve sure I will use another software, especialy for shades.

Nothing wrong with DP2. It is still legendary.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

BaptisteTheFool

Look At: Ark

"I don't think that will work!"

;)

Remarkable work here!  The attention to detail is splendid.  Hopefully you'll be able to finish this and it doesn't go the way of the last ROLA fan project.

Cheers to you!

EDIT:

I don't know if you're considering making a full-length game based on this or if you're just doing a Tanis short game (your first post is a little unclear to me in that regard), but if you do drag this full length, here are some ideas I'd love to see:

1. A cooperative puzzle for the Flying Wing.  In some FOA puzzles you had to switch between Sophia and Indy to finish the puzzle; I could see something similar for the wing.  Marion would have a puzzle with the controls of the wing while Indy has to either outwit or fight the mechanic.

2. I could picture something like the car chase from FOA for the truck chase sequence.

3. Last Crusade just does the prologue as the unplayable opening credits; I hope you don't go that route here-- I'd really enjoy playing the Peru stage.

Cheers again!

EDIT 2:

One small thing on the Indy sprite (which I love); the sleeves aren't rolled.  Not a big deal, but Indy has his sleeves rolled in Cairo in the film, it might make for a neat detail in the game as well.

Again, very impressed with what you've done so far!

quo_sp

Thank you Mad and subspark for your usefull tips.  ;)

Joseph DiPerla really nothing wrong is a great software, I love it.  :)

BaptisteTheFool thank you very much.

I don’t know the last ROTLA project, what happened with it?

This is the part of Tanis, so initially will be a short game. This first part cover only the room map in the Tanis chapter. After finish this part I will continue with the Well of Souls in the Tanis chapter too, after this, would be the flying Wind or truck chasse. Each part will be added to the previous so the proyect will grow. When all Tanis Chapter be finished I can consider to starting with other chapters like by example, Cairo or Nepal.

So the idea is to finish complete playable parts and not embark on a complete project from the beginning because it's hard to finish. All parts finished will be joining with the others, so with the last exe you can play all finished parts.

Your idea for Flying Wing and truck chase are very good, thank you. For Peru stage I always wanted to play it, so when the time comes my idea is to make it playable.  :)

BaptisteTheFool

Hi quo_sp.

The last Raiders fan game was given a Cease & Desist letter by LucasArts.  The game was being made by a team called LucasFan Games.  They also released Maniac Mansion Deluxe.

quo_sp

Quote from: BaptisteTheFool on Wed 05/01/2011 08:46:16
Hi quo_sp.

The last Raiders fan game was given a Cease & Desist letter by LucasArts.  The game was being made by a team called LucasFan Games.  They also released Maniac Mansion Deluxe.

Hi BaptisteTheFool.

Even for a fan game LucasArts forced to cancel it?, ups, I don't like advance more in the game and be forced to cancel it. Do you think it is possible?

BaptisteTheFool

Quote from: quo_sp on Wed 05/01/2011 10:01:14
Quote from: BaptisteTheFool on Wed 05/01/2011 08:46:16
Hi quo_sp.

Hi BaptisteTheFool.

Even for a fan game LucasArts forced to cancel it?, ups, I don't like advance more in the game and be forced to cancel it. Do you think it is possible?

I wouldn't worry about it.  Honestly I don't think anyone really knows why they got the C&D letter.  And I've read some reports that suggest that they may never have really gotten one and may have stopped making the game for other reasons.

There are lots of other Indy fan games and similar projects and all have gone about with no legal interference.  The rule of thumb is that as long as you aren't profiting from it and it's clearly marked as a fan game, you should be fine.

On another note-- I'd love to lend support in any way I might on this project.  Can't assist with anything technical; I've no skills in programming or drawing.  But I could certainly assist with proofreading an English translation.

quo_sp

I think that the difference between other fan games of Indy and this is that the script or the history is not original and is based completely in film even the backgrounds.

But I thinked that no would have legal's problems becouse this is a fan game and a non-profit project.

For translations thank you your offer BaptisteTheFool  ;) sure I will need help.

BaptisteTheFool

Well again, just proof-reading.  I only know a few phrases in Spanish so I don't know how much use I'll be in the initial translation phase. :)

Very excited for this project.  There have been a number of other Indy fan games, but none so perfectly capture the tone of FOA as yours seems to.  Your artwork would look right at home in Fate of Atlantis.

quo_sp

Thanks BaptisteTheFool, but I'm still learning I am a begginer, a lot of credit goes to Deluxe Paint, it is a good program.  :)

Well, with the holidays I have had not much time to advance, only the stones on the left and some animation that you can see in part in the capture.

I have removed the shades and lights of test, will be added at the end, after finish all the details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk