Raiders of the Lost Ark - Tanis

Started by quo_sp, Mon 06/12/2010 19:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

BaptisteTheFool

I think it's much too dark.  And the back of the brim seems perhaps too big.  But really the shape's not bad.  It's just the color is much too dark.  Looks almost black.

quo_sp

Without the blue can apreciate better the shape, well later, I will work to try to improve the color.

BaptisteTheFool

Quote from: quo_sp on Fri 08/04/2011 22:58:26
Without the blue can apreciate better the shape, well later, I will work to try to improve the color.

I like the shape well enough, but it's still much too dark.  I prefer the shades you used in the earlier revision.

Guybrush Nosehair

I hope I'm not interrupting anything important here, but everything looks like it's shaping up great! Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish and am waiting (impatiently) for a translated demo. When can we expect to see this?

This all looks top notch. I must agree with the previous poster who said that Indy's jacket and hat are too dark. Otherwise, he's looking great.

I really do hope that you follow through with your plans to replicate the entire movie, and don't just stick to Tanis.

BaptisteTheFool

Quote from: grim107 on Fri 08/04/2011 23:14:30
I hope I'm not interrupting anything important here, but everything looks like it's shaping up great! Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish and am waiting (impatiently) for a translated demo. When can we expect to see this?

This all looks top notch. I must agree with the previous poster who said that Indy's jacket and hat are too dark. Otherwise, he's looking great.

I really do hope that you follow through with your plans to replicate the entire movie, and don't just stick to Tanis.

Don't know that I agree with you on your assessment on the jacket, though.  The Raiders jacket is a fickle thing, but it certainly appears very dark in most scenes.  Perhaps Quo's jacket could be a hair lighter, but it's not too bad.  The fedora, on the other hand, is far far far darker than it should be.

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: BaptisteTheFool on Fri 08/04/2011 23:23:52
Don't know that I agree with you on your assessment on the jacket, though.  The Raiders jacket is a fickle thing, but it certainly appears very dark in most scenes.  Perhaps Quo's jacket could be a hair lighter, but it's not too bad.  The fedora, on the other hand, is far far far darker than it should be.

I guess you're right about the jacket. I'm so used to seeing the FoA and LC sprites that I associated the color with "real" Indy. I still think it should be a little lighter.

I know I'm late on this, but I want to say that I love how the gun holster moves in Indy's walking animation.

BaptisteTheFool

I'm confident that if he lightened the hat, the jacket would look better to you.  It's the contrast that does it.

Compare to this sprite:

The jacket is a bit lighter here, but the hat is A LOT lighter.  That contrast makes all the difference.

doctorfargo

Quote from: quo_sp on Thu 07/04/2011 11:44:52
Well, the translate of the sort demo to English hope will be ready for next week, while I’m working in the extended demo.  :)

Looking forward to the English version of the demo!  :)

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: BaptisteTheFool on Sat 09/04/2011 01:06:08
I'm confident that if he lightened the hat, the jacket would look better to you.  It's the contrast that does it.

Compare to this sprite:

The jacket is a bit lighter here, but the hat is A LOT lighter.  That contrast makes all the difference.

Perfect  :).

BaptisteTheFool

Quote from: grim107 on Sun 10/04/2011 16:42:06
Quote from: BaptisteTheFool on Sat 09/04/2011 01:06:08

Compare to this sprite:

Perfect  :).

Yeah, I kinda think Quo should go with that.  As said before, the only thing I changed was to move two of the dark pixels down one on the hat.  But I think it better defines the sweep of the brim.

So how about it, Quo?  :D

quo_sp

Hope next week be ready :)

First I'm going to finish tanis part, after maybe continue with other parts.

Batiste your modifications are good, I will try to light a little the jacket.

Other version of the hat for test.

BaptisteTheFool

Quote from: quo_sp on Sun 10/04/2011 21:45:01

Hope next week be ready :)

First I'm going to finish tanis part, after maybe continue with other parts.

Batiste your modifications are good, I will try to light a little the jacket.

Other version of the hat for test.

Problems I have with that hat...

It appears very droopy and the brim seems to dip dramatically along the back.  Also, the front-pinch appears to have a steep backward incline.  None of these things are characteristic of the Raiders hat.

The raiders hat has a tight, sharp pinch.  It should be high and square like in your earlier drafts.  The brim also pitches downward in the front.  Actually it has a thing called a turn wherein the pinch sits off-center with the brim, but there's no way you'd be able to replicate that in such a tiny scale.  The brim actually should almost scoop back up along the back... almost, but it's so subtle on the film hat that you won't be able to replicate it on such a small figure.  Either way, pitching down is wrong.

The color is a lot better, though!  I prefer the shape of the earlier hat.

See above for comparison.

quo_sp

Thank you Batiste, good apreciations :)

So, finally I think that the original FOA hat is the better.

So, returning to the original, I have modified it a little.
In the center the original hat, and in left and right two different modifications.

Mad

Just had to have a go at this!

I just fiddled about with the colours and shading a bit. I tried to simplify the sprite and give it some clearer lines and therefore make it easier to read.

Keep up the superb work!!!

BaptisteTheFool

Quote from: quo_sp on Mon 11/04/2011 09:09:32
Thank you Batiste, good apreciations :)

So, finally I think that the original FOA hat is the better.

So, returning to the original, I have modified it a little.
In the center the original hat, and in left and right two different modifications.

I'm all for the center.

Spectacular work, Quo.  Keep at it, man!  I'll tell ya, I check this site first thing when I wake up in the hopes of new updates on your project.  Very exciting! :)

quo_sp

Thank you Mad, it is more detailed version  ;)

hansolo1970

Dear quo_sp
Your work is very committed and enthusiastic.
Congratulations for a very well done job so far.
Your detail in your artwork is really impressive my friend.
I hope you soon finish the English demo translation so we all
can enjoy your demo.
Keep up the good work and keep as posted…

quo_sp

Thank you hansolo1970, the English demo will be ready for download very soon.  ;)

cianty

Quote from: quo_sp on Sat 23/04/2011 21:21:48
Thank you hansolo1970, the English demo will be ready for download very soon.  ;)

Yay!!
ca. 70% completed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk