Cartoony Goblin/Orc Character

Started by thesporkman, Wed 19/03/2008 11:43:04

Previous topic - Next topic

thesporkman

This isn't necessarily something for a game. I'm still experimenting and trying to develop some sort of style. But here's a cartoony nervous, awkward goblin/orc/thingy.

Feel free to offer any criticism or redraw if you like.

miguel

Wow! Really funny!
I would go with that cartoon with no fear in any game, but because you asked I think of two things you could improve:  the shield could be bigger and a bit more perfect and also the sword, you could use bended lines in paint to give it that sharp blade look, also put some bright colours on the blade to make it shine!!!
Other than that I think it's really cool! :)
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Layabout

It looks ok, but is definately rough around the edges. You need to put a bit more work in to it. The belly just looks odd.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Afflict

He reminds me of Shrek, which is never a bad thing. :)

Animation is gona be hard if you going to shade him this detailed. If you look at disney and other cartoons you'll notice they barely shaded at all.

About the character:

-The arms need to be consistent in terms of width, they look thinner in some spots than others.
-It seems your trying to get a realistic metal look on the sword and shield, this clashes with the cartoon feel.
-Eliminate the double pixels, look at some Anti Alias tutorials. (note this might take away from the vivid cartoon feel & r it might just actually enhance it.)
One I googled I didn't read it though :P http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/aa.html
- I'll be more concerned about the jaggy edges, try and smooth them out.
- The highlight color used is to close to the overall green and is lost, it makes visually little difference if any. You might want to change it to a lighter green or mess with the colors a bit.
-Stomach looks like a rock under his shirt, it needs to be like jelly rather. meaning wobbly and soft, no hard edges like the top left. Keep it rounded.

There is a sticky somewhere in the forum I think its in the C&C thread that have some nice tutorial links. :)

Goodluck I look forward to seeing the update!

Ps: If I find some time i will look into fixing some of the issues I think there are. Don't count on it though i barely have time to write these comments out atm.

~Afflict

ManicMatt

Basically I thought the nose should be higher like this:

(But I'm no expert)

thesporkman

I went back and cleaned up a lot of the double pixels and such around the edges. I tried to tweak the highlight colors on the face a bit. Most noticeably I redrew the stomach. I had a lot of trouble getting it to look right. I decided to give him some flabby man-breasts to add to the overall sense of fatness. I tried to give the arms more uniform thickness, but everything I did made it look worse, so I left them the way they were.

Afflict

Nah it's really getting there, I really like art style. You're doing great just keep going at it, the more you mess around with pixels the better you get, and it's sometimes experimenting that gets you the best results.

Fee

not bad, the only thing i really sont like is the shield, it seems more like a rock or somthing :P

miguel

I just redone the shield, It wasn't working right!
hope you like it,
you will want to add some more detail I'm sure
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Fee

thesporkman

Oh, yeah. I really like what you did with the shield. Here it is shaded like the rest of him:

Andail

I think there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to his posture and expression. Right now it's hard to tell whether he's being hostile, scared or just non-chalant. It's like a really bad actor who's told to model for a painting without any instructions whatsoever.

Dualnames

I think his reactions is" I'm too old for this shit."
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Zufub

it may be...

He bring me back to memories this big black spellcaster from "Smurfs" (I don't know how he's called in English, but in Polish it was Gargamel) who all time hunting on Smurfs xD.
If you like any game makers, writ in your browser those tags:
RPG maker
Game Maker
Adventure Maker
Of course there are many more programmes to making games, but i prefer them + AGS ;) First is to making RPG games, next to ANY games and last is able to make Adventure Games (many is type: Escape the Room).

ZuFub ;

Erwin_Br

Mazoliin

Smurfs?! Gargamel!! :o Aaaahhh, this takes me back...

Yea, Critics Lounge:

*As already mentioned, make his arme thicker
*I find his chin rather pointy and sharp - move those two pixels that makes it pointy up one pixel and you have a perfect chin

Edit

Zufub

If you want an orc he must be more strong-looking. To be an orc he need more muscles. Add him something barbarian style - metalish belt like from Diablo II from barbarian ;P You got normal metal belt and some down is going a part of this belt ;P (like trousers from rap style).

Offtopic:

When I saw Gargamel again, I get an idea to make an adventure game where Gargamel is our character xD And we hunting for smurfs xD (I'm bit crazy ;P).
If you like any game makers, writ in your browser those tags:
RPG maker
Game Maker
Adventure Maker
Of course there are many more programmes to making games, but i prefer them + AGS ;) First is to making RPG games, next to ANY games and last is able to make Adventure Games (many is type: Escape the Room).

ZuFub ;

ThreeOhFour

However, if you want a Goblin, weak looking is very nice. I feel this looks like a goblin more than an Orc, agree with Andail that there is room for improvement with regards to facial expression and pose, and agree with a number of other people that the sprite looks very nice.

Afflict

Sorry I don't agree Zufub, maybe hes an orc/gobling mix breed.

Not all humans are bulky and strong some are thin some are fat etc, so why will every orc be perfectly muscle shaped and ripped?

Most of your adventure game heroes were the most unlikely "heroes" (back in the day anyway) Roger Wilco, Larry, Guybrush Threepwood. etc. etc. 

I like the look of this character, agreed there is room for improvement, but the character already looks like he has an interesting "destiny" laying ahead of him.

thesporkman

Wow. I really like the edit, Mazoliin. You've managed to fix the problem with the arms, and I like the rounding off of the chin.

I'm not really sure what to do about the posture and expression. I didn't really have much of anything in mind when I first drew it. The only reason he's holding the sword and shield is because I drew the arms last and didn't really know what I wanted them to be doing. I probably would have drawn the arms down at his sides, but I didn't want to obscure the detail on his clothes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk