A room from my game, what do you think?

Started by james_isaac, Sat 28/06/2003 18:24:34

Previous topic - Next topic

james_isaac

I need some feedback - what do you think of this:

(Sorry about the copyrights eveywhere, bu I don't want anyone stealing it.)

Drawn by Rusalka Clarke (a.k.a Yufster)

Scummbuddy

Theres no reason to do the copyrights everywhere, as long as you've posted it here, we're good at catching copyrighters... and anyways....anyone can copy backgrounds once they've got your game with printscreen, hypersnap and such, so you shouldn't have to worry. (which now you've taken care of and removed the majority of them.)

I really like this background, and i can see your characters head in your signature which i really like also.
The psychonauts pic doesnt work well with the pic, if you were to draw over it in another layer in photoshop, for instance, and make it pixely, then I think it would work well, and still keep your idea.
And I dont think that shadows are capapble of curving around walls (from the horse)  ;)

Very nice background.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Meowster

Hoooo boy that is SWEET. I love that artwork. I might just eat my own hands it's so good.

Oh boy, I just wet myself. It's THAT good.

Anyway...

Yeah I just tried the shadow thing, you can't bend shadows around walls. Oh well. As for the psychonauts thing, yeah, that needs changing alright. Also I'm gonna put a few more things around the hall to make it look a bit ...untidier.

Rats, and I was so sure I'd seen shadows turn corners before  ;D

Xadhoom

Looks great, like it a lot! You gotten some great atmosphere into this pic with the lighting. Only thing that throws me off is the painting on the wall...way too photograph-y...but maybe there's a point to it?
.::XADHOOM::.

Meowster

TY :) The painting was something I put there because I'm in love with Doublefine and Psychonauts, I did intend to make it more pixel-y but I never got around to it. I think I'll have to change it completely because the colours stand out way too much anyway :) As for the shadows... well, it seemed logical at the time, but now it just looks silly  ::)

.....Or does it???

I think maybe if the light was at the right angle it could do that, say if it was at an angle facing the horse. On the other hand, the light is clearly coming from a completely different angle. In fact, that entire shadow shouldn't be there, but I don't think anybody will notice....

EDIT: Now I have mentioned it, they will notice  :-\

BOYD1981

that's a really nice picture, i love the way the crack on the wall makes it look as if the horse ran at the wall, it's pretty huge though...
the only thing i don't really like are the lights above the doors, they look strange and the blue trim at the bottom of the walls is distracting as everything else is red, other than that it's fine...
the only other thing that i wanted to say is that using the Psychonaut picture is probably a breach of copyright so you would actually be able to copyright that picture, plus nobody here is going to steal your art, plus you can actually add watermarks and copyrights to pictures in some paint progs, or atleast you can with Paintshop Pro 7...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

prototyp3

Neat room!  Although I don't care for the shading in the stair well leading up.

Meowster

I'm not worried about people stealing it. James just does that. As for the blue and red, there's a reason... The owners of the house are morons. Okay I made that up. But it's a pretty good reason. Maybe they are. We don't know that every time we create a game, an alternate dimension doesn't open spontaneously create a bigger, more complex version of that game. Maybe I painted it a different colour and the Other Dimensional Owners repainted it and I thought I'd painted it that colour because I'm to young to be senile.

Just a thought.  ;D

As for the psychonauts pictures, I'm gonna burn the goddamn thing.

james_isaac

If the only lightsource is from the lights above the doors, then it could look better if you just removed the shadows from the horse, or put them on the horse's right.

Xadhoom

Once and for all, people: Shadows...do...not...go...around...corners.
.::XADHOOM::.

Neole

Verry loverly! And Xadhoom's right about the shadow, though I didnt notice it as odd till till I read his comment.

SLaMgRInDeR

looks great , reminds me of the coridor in DOTT
(   (   ( <( -_-)> )   )  )

Meowster

It's the horse isn't it?  ;D I put those teeth on him to make him look obnoxious as though he'd just charged through the wall, but it just looks like that Weirdass DOTT horse :) :) :)

Squinky

I like the style, but the horse seems way to big in comparision to other things in the room, like the doors...

Gemmalah

sorry to sound stupid but the things above the doors are electric lights? (mentioned in an earlier post) on first glance they look like unlit candles. If they are the only light source shouldn't that area be lighter than with the horse.

love the horse, nice yellow teeth
Dragon Slayers demo finally finishedGet it here!

SLaMgRInDeR

...the clock ticks life away, its so unreal...

anyway,
not just cause of the horse, it just looks like the corridor with the door to the room with the sewing woman.
(   (   ( <( -_-)> )   )   )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk