Feature request: room names on tabs!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Tue 19/03/2024 21:03:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Hi powers that be. I was wondering if it was possible to have the room name included on the room tabs the same way dialogs are? For example:

As you can see, the dialog tab says "Dialog: dLocker" while the room tab just says "room26".

And as you can see here, the room has a name associated with it called "Jump room".

What I'm hoping for is that the tab could say "Room: Jump room" instead of "room26." I often have a lot of room tabs open and it's hard to tell which is the one I need. :)

Dave Gilbert

eri0o

Made a PR in here https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/pull/2360

Build for testing: https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6383809940160512

I went for the "number: description" approach. The issue also instead used "(number) description". The "Room: description" would also be a possibility. I don't know which is better.

Crimson Wizard

I wish there were a way to distinguish Room tabs from other kind of tabs, and Room and Room Script tabs between each other.
Judging by the screenshots, right now there's no way to tell whether this is a room or its script.

I'd propose something that mentions "room" word in a tab.

For a quick idea (not final):
- Room N: Description - for a room tab
- RoomN.asc: Description - for a room script tab.

Later we may also add tab icons for a quicker identification (this is a second suggestion from the original ticket).

Dave Gilbert

But while you can have infinite room script tabs open at once, only one room tab can be opened at a time, right? So it's less of an issue.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 20/03/2024 20:05:58But while you can have infinite room script tabs open at once, only one room tab can be opened at a time, right? So it's less of an issue.

Less or not, but it's still an issue.

Besides, there have been a feature suggestion to be able to open multiple rooms in the Editor too (maybe that's already almost possible in AGS 4).

eri0o

Erh, turns out we already set ALL icons correctly but we just don't turn on actually showing them...

I simply added this.mainContainer.ShowDocumentIcon = true; in the frmMain but it should be possible to put a setting in preferences too.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 20/03/2024 20:03:41- Room N: Description - for a room tab
- RoomN.asc: Description - for a room script tab.

I can do that too, but just wanted to show that icons are very easy to set in case they are sufficient. Anyway, here's a print of the looks (but with icons)

Spoiler
[close]

And here without icons

Spoiler
[close]

And a gif with a Preferences option for the icons

Crimson Wizard

eri0o

I am thankful for whoever went through the trouble of setting the correct icons for everything and just forgot to turn it on.  (laugh)

I think the icons will look nicer in ags4 with it's different pane tabs.

Dave Gilbert

Oh neat! I'm probably going to stick with 3.6 for Old Skies, but it's nice to know this is waiting for me on my next project. :)

eri0o

This is in and should be in the 3.6.2 release - it should be a small release with some important refactors on the back. I think it's probably time to mark 3.6.1 as the new stable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk