AGS Editor Valentine's Edition

Started by alkis21, Tue 13/02/2007 23:24:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Disco

Quote from: thewalrus on Wed 14/02/2007 16:59:14
     Perhaps those that don't want to see it should take the day off from using the editor on the days that it is goin' to iritate them..... (just a thought)  :-\

I don't think you quite get the point :P. It isn't the splash screen that bothers, it just that every holiday where one is shown, someone starts a thread entitled "OMG have you opened the AGS Editor today!?", as if out of a community of thousands they were the only one to do so.

Wait, that's actually not as far-fetched as it sounds  ::)

Ashen

Ha! You got me, Ashen. That's the best April Fool's joke ever...

While I'll still take the awesome, I didn't mean that the editor did something on April 1st - just that there's another regularly occuring thread that I'd like to see stop. As I said though, banning less-than-a-year members from posting wouldn't much effect that, since it's usually Chris and the oldbies that're responsible for starting them and keeping them running.
It's not so much the joke itself I'm against, as the fact it takes too long to die as people from around the world log in and fall for it at different times (like the 'AGS to go commercial' thread that was still fooling people years later). Sure, just not reading the threads is the sensible answer, but these are the internets - Who cares about sensible?

I'd still like a way to switch them off, mind.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

LimpingFish

Disparagers should aim their vitriol at the proper parties.

The holiday messages are innocent jokey fun.

The messages take, at most, a mouse click to banish. Plus they only appear on a handful of days per year (Cinema 4D greeted me with a christmas tree for two whole weeks of late December/early January. But do I mind and/or care?).

The "OMFG-did you see?-haha-aren't I great for noticing it?" threads are the real villains here. Can't you people just be satisfied with a wry smile, and the knowledge that everybody else is seeing the message as well? No, you must take it upon yourselves to notify the world of your astounding find!

Please stop wasting valuble bandwidth, and making me waste bandwidth in replying to you. (Yes I do see the irony, moderators.)

Now excuse me, I have to start a thread about why having the explosive runs is better than a hobnail-booted kick to the genitals.

EDIT: Just to point out, I am actually against the persecution of "n00bs" based solely on the date of their registration. It's a horrible form of elitism that, thankfully, doesn't play much of a roll in these forums. But the eagerness to create these kind of threads needs to be curtailed. Yes, you'll get the attention you crave, but you risk the stigma of being labelled, well...an idiot. It's just not worth it.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Domino

How cute.

Now I am craving onion rings. Yummy.

SmootH

Oh, AGS Board, I Wuv U

Happy Valentine's day!
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

esper

Quote from: Domino on Thu 15/02/2007 01:54:10
How cute.

Now I am craving onion rings. Yummy.

Oh, so that's what that was... I'm glad it passes by in a tenth of a second, then.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

SSH

Shame CJ didn't make a "Please enter registratuin code" box when starting the editor  on April 1st...

Akatosh

How about adding a message like "Yes, we KNOW about what happened when you started AGS this morning, and we DO NOT want to hear about it AGAIN!" to the top pane on all these days?

Haddas

So is it okay if i post this picture here?

e. fixed

esper

This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk