AGS Kart

Started by SinSin, Sun 22/04/2012 21:33:22

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Yep very cool stuff Ant and everyone else, great tech demos... would love to see how it develops and definitely interesting to see courses with obstacles in action, and such  (nod)

Monsieur OUXX

I was going to snatch the tech-demo's source code and upload it to a SVN or CVS and write: "come on, make it your bitch", and then I suddenly remembered that script files are not externalized and don't work well with versioning tool.

This is SO frustrating!  :-\

DoorKnobHandle

When it comes down to coding I really think a single capable coder with enough time on their hands should do it solo. Sharing a codebase is a pain even without SVN problems.

Hudders

Quote from: dkh on Tue 01/05/2012 16:16:34
When it comes down to coding I really think a single capable coder with enough time on their hands should do it solo. Sharing a codebase is a pain even without SVN problems.

Well, that's the problem really, isn't it? The people who are enthusiastic about this project and who keep throwing ideas around aren't the people with the skills to make it happen.  :(

Monsieur OUXX

I'm sure several people here are refrained from doing anything because they're afraid that after much work someone else will throw in a much better looking demo than theirs and ruin everything they did.
It would be so much simpler to collaborate. Like "you do the track management, I do the physics"

Calin Leafshade

Guys, this is not that difficult.

Kweepa has done the hard work which is translating 2D coords on the track to a pseudo 3D image. Beyond that its just coding the tracks and the driving physics.

You need to separate in your mind the racing elements and the rendering elements. The rendering is more or less done. All you need to do it code a 2D racing simulation and plug the values into kweepas renderer.

Modelling the car in this case is pretty simple since it will always be parallel to the floor. You dont need to worry about torque of the individual wheels, you can essentially just treat the whole thing like a sled with a direction, acceleration and velocity.

for checkpoints just define a sequence of regions on the 2D track and make sure the player goes through them in order.

SinSin

im thinking that there should be a team for this ...  eg

1 person to code the driver physics and game layout
2 or 3 for track designs (myself, snake )
2 for kart drivers unless the selected characters original designers wanna do their own characters
2-3 people to work on themes of circuits   ie Spoonbeak circuit etc
1 musician 
as Calin said its not too difficult although Im thinking that this project is not really fully swarm anymore.
If people want to suggest extras then maybe we could do competitons in the future to get the track ideas across
Currently working on a project!

Snake

It's about time Calin said something. He did a hell of a job on his Mario example thing he did, the physics were great. The feel of it was perfect.

I'll put my hand up for track design, though no scripting is coming from me.

I think the characters and karts should be worked on by more than 2 or 3 people, though.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

selmiak

I'd also like to do something for this as I really like the idea of a kartracer in AGS.
max/default dimensions for the tracks should be defined. And a colorscheme. Like, is it all happy mario primary colors or rather a worn out post apocalyptic track. Or both?
And I get the translation from mario kart to include AGS characters, but creating new racers should also be fun. Like with the whacky wheels all drivers were animals why not have fruits and vegetables. And make them look mean and competitive. For them dimensions and needed views and palette (and theme (like AGS Characters or vegetables or toasters or body parts or whatever)) should also be defined so this could easily be swarmed.

monkey0506

Quote from: Snake on Tue 01/05/2012 23:06:11It's about time Calin said did something.

Fixed that for you. :P

Icey

Deu2000

Monsieur OUXX

I'll give a try at coding during the lunch break today.
I'll start from Kweepa's tech demo.

In the meantime, could the volunteers for graphics complete the "pink girl kart" sprites set withe diagonal views? At the moment there are 4 views (from, back, left, right) but there should be 4 more for the diagonals.

EDIT: I can't find the "multiplayer tech demo" that was released by someone at some stage. All I could find was the old TCP/IP plugin on the one hand, and the newer"AGS IRC chat" module/plugin on the other hand. Does that thing exist or did I dream it?

EDIT2: Khris, could you release the source of your own demo? I'm interested in seeing what proportion of purely vectorial stuff you used.

Khris

I'm not really fond of releasing "just get it to work" source code.
When you say "purely vectorial stuff", are you talking about the vector graphics part? Or the calculations for the mode7 part?

Deu2000

The tech demo is in the modules and plugins forum

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Khris on Wed 02/05/2012 11:37:47
I'm not really fond of releasing "just get it to work" source code.
When you say "purely vectorial stuff", are you talking about the vector graphics part? Or the calculations for the mode7 part?

Nervermind, forget about it. It was just for research's sake, but it's not worth playing Q&A or studying out-of-context bits of code. I'll just continue starting solely from Kweepa's work.

Quote from: Deu2000 on Wed 02/05/2012 11:44:17
The tech demo is in the modules and plugins forum

I still can't find it. Are you talking about the chat client demo? That's not what I was talking about. I recall seeing a multiplayer game demo. Or was it in that multiplayer QfG thing? I can't remember.

DoorKnobHandle

Please, once again, don't even attempt multiplayer for a game like this unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's really not feasible at all. Focus on a good singleplayer, it'll be more than enough to worry about it! :)

Awesome to see this getting started though!

Deu2000

Before starting with the online multiplayer, we should make the 1-computer multiplayer first.

Victor6

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 02/05/2012 12:10:11
I still can't find it. Are you talking about the chat client demo? That's not what I was talking about. I recall seeing a multiplayer game demo. Or was it in that multiplayer QfG thing? I can't remember.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45714.0 (in the critics lounge) maybe? We've got basically the same debate\ideas going on in 3+ threads at the moment.

Edit:- Restored the subject title to the thread title.

Kweepa

I overhauled the physics for the cart last night. It now has a bunch of tweakable parameters, skidding and non-skidding modes, and generally feels less like a hovercraft.
I'll upload the new version tonight.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk