Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Certainly looks like a review site.

Monsieur OUXX

- Does anyone still have that font (below) in any format (WFN, TTF, SCI...)?
OR
- Does anyone still have the very old Scumm template where it used to be included?

m0ds

Monsieur OUXX

Slasher

Hi,

do we say:

1: Find 'RESONATE' objects

2: Find 'RESONANT' objects

which to use in terms of 'GET' and 'HAVE'...

cheers

Crimson Wizard

It is "resonant" which is adjective, and "resonate" is a verb (to resonate).

And "Resonance" which is the AGS game :=

m0ds

Spoiler
I have an art/ags question, did not want to start a tech thread about it really.

I found a nice animated GIF of some birds that will suit my game.

The actual version, when imported into AGS, is ok for the first frame, but then all other frames have the previous frame drawn, creating this:

So I tried to use a thing called animation shop to create a new version of the gif, with higher/lower color settings etc, and the next few times it comes out like this when imported in AGS using "import GIF animation":

If I take a single frame of the anim in animation shop and export it to gif format, then import via AGS using "single frame" import rather than a gif file, it goes fine. So my questions are:

1) Is there a program that can load a gif and export all the individual frames? sadly my animation shop (old thing from paint shop pro) does not seem to have an export all frames option, just one by one, and hell am I doing that for 300 frames :P

2) Is there a step I'm missing or any tips on how to get ags to import it nicely without these artifacts? "Import GIF animation" doesn't give you the option to locate the transparent area of the image or such?

This is standard gif, standard transparency and animated, never actually had this problem occur with any other animated gifs, so not sure why it would happen. Obviously changing the color settings a bit created a different "effect" when imported. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Many thanks
[close]

^ solved for now thanks to selmiak :)

selmiak

import into Photoshop
set all frames of the animation to 0 secs
file>export>render video>imagesequence

m0ds

Thanks selmiak but peh, I don't have photoshop (guess I should catch up and get it sometime ;)), would you be willing to do that for me if I email you the gif?

selmiak

sure, send me a pm, email or link the image here.

Ghost

Has anyone here ever bothered to set up an actual rendered video for an AGS game? I tackled a small animation in truespace, which is... a bit oldfashioned, and I am baffled by all the compressing/converting/exporting stuff. There are probably better programs out there, it's just that I know truespace quite well. The rendering/animation is *not* the problem- but what format/compression/whatever can be imported into AGS? 16bit game, 320x240 as per usual.

selmiak

I don't know 16bit colordepth is a problem contrary to 32bit colordepth but .ogv video plays good in AGS. I had problems with a black border on top and thus missing part of the video on the bottom though. But after counting the pixels of the black border and adding them to the bottom it aligned like intended. So even more fiddeling, but once you get it running it works. XVID in an avi container also works but cannot be compiled into the exe and has to be delivered seperately from the gamefiles and thus could spoil the game for too interested players. But please do it :)

Ghost

Right... okay, my truespace version doesn't export to ogv, but I bet there are converters... well, knee deep into the experimentations...

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 04/11/2013 18:34:20
and thus could spoil the game for too interested players. But please do it :)
;-D

selmiak

or stupid players could delete or move the video around and with this break the game. But afaik AGS just shows an ugly 'Videofile xy.avi not found' in the very basic message native to AGS and continues from there on. But using videos not compiled into the exe could also allow for some small 'mods' to the game, of course these could be fun or worse than anything you can imagine atm ;)

Using programs on my PC to convert video to ogv didn't work that good, but using http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg did the trick for me. If you manage to convert to ogv that ags accepts with something else please let me know :)

Ghost

Will do. The "stupid user deletes file" scenario makes me feel uncomfortable with using an external file- there is always one...

Babar

I'm trying to remember a song I heard  ~1999-early 2000s, it featured on MTV back then for a bit, and while it wasn't a marvel of songmaking or anything, me not being able to find it is driving me crazy.
The video featured a bunch of cars racing about, skidding, drifting in some huge, empty flat area (desert? beach?), with overhead shots of the cars, intercut with close-ups of the singer (some white guy with dark hair and a closely trimmed goatee/beard thing singing?). Lyrics I remember are along the lines of "Some of the best things in life....aren't for free. Some of the best things in life....aren't for me" "Get a new life get a new life now, 'cause I'm going nowhere. Get a new life get a new life, yeah, don't know, can't see, I don't care" and so on.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Renal Shutdown

"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

m0ds

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 04/11/2013 19:34:14
Will do. The "stupid user deletes file" scenario makes me feel uncomfortable with using an external file- there is always one...

From experience, it's all about ogv now. External videos are not a good idea. They also run into issues on some people's machines who do have certain codecs and don't have others etc. I for one can't play several of my older games cos they feature an external video file that no longer plays for some reason. No problem with ogv games yet.

I'm using VLC player to convert from AVI or what not to OGV. OGV size should match the size of AGS res setting otherwise you'll get artifacts in the video image and sometimes it won't stretch to full screen fully. Don't be fooled into thinking OGV is necessarily going to save you file size in anyway, it won't. A high res 30mb OGV file will still add 30mb to your exe size etc. But it is nice that they go into the exe and don't need to be distributed in the compiled folder like avis and wmvs.

Ghost

Thanks, mods! A frined already suggested VLC to me, I already downloaded it. It's all new ground for this old dog.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk