Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

did you know that .mkv is open under  GNU LGPL (there were some problems with AGS and GNU licenses...) and support 1080p videos?! :D
VLC is the player for mediafiles, and I did read that it can convert videos to ogv but somehow it didn't work for me :P

Khris

When I played around with ogv, I was using this: http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/

m0ds

Heh, yeah VLC is a clunky converter, it's really not a quick process. You have to click things a hell of a lot of times just to convert two files into OGV. So it's not ideal. I'd love to find a new decent converter.

selmiak

And now I wonder how .mkv looks on videos in 320x200 compared to ogv in 320x200. HD would look more crispy pixely with less artifacts or maybe it looks just like squished through a ridiculous sharpening filter for the HDPixels. Would be cool to control the way mkv scales up from there :D
Isn't H264 used in both mkv and ogv? Stupid codec jungle...

m0ds

Oh sweet, Pazera seem to have released a free OGV converter (finally! :D) It's like they knew... by the look of it..released three days ago??

Anyway YAY :D Multi ogv conversion will be simple now :)

http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=93390

Edit: Taken it for a spin, it's fantastic! And it even allows me to import some weird video types.. I'm soo happy lol now I can work on this fmv game with ease, haha :'D

Gribbler

I don't know if this is a good place for it but I am in need of help so I ask, as the thread title says. I have a question for English native speakers. What does "ice" stand for? Apart from the obvious frozen water. I know it could also mean metaamphetamine and diamond jewelery. But what else? The sentence is:

"I also really need someone to bring ice. I had a sign-up sheet at the gathering and nobody fucking chose ice. What's the big deal? Come on, somebody. Be a rock star. Own it. (pause) Ice, out."

selmiak

Seems like a nickname for a person who needs a ride...

m0ds

Yeah, also seems to me like someone talking about themselves using "ice" as a name instead of just saying "me."

"I also really need someone to bring me. I had a sign-up sheet at the gathering and nobody fucking chose me. What's the big deal? Come on, somebody. Be a rock star. Own it. (pause) Ice, out."

Alternatively, it is a literal request for ice for a party or something? I can't see it being used in place of any other term, certainly where I'm from ice means ice, the cold stuff.

Gribbler

Thanks guys. I'll see if that fits the context.

Nikolas

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a screen video capture tool. I need to capture power point presentations, which apparently are quite big... :-/

Fraps and camstasia, failed thus far (unless I'm not using them well, but at least from camstasia I know I'm doing the right thing...).

Any ideas? Or how to export a PPT file into a movie file?

selmiak

Stupot

Spreadsheet lovers.  I have a column full of cells containing 'y', 'n' or nothing.  Below that I have a cell in which I want the total instances of 'y' from that column.  I know this is elementary stuff, but I'm not having any luck trying to work it out.

(I'm using OpenOffice Calc, on the off chance that makes a difference)

Cheers :-)

Babar

COUNTIF(firstcell:lastcell; "y")
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Stupot

Thanks Babar. I knew it would be something simple :)

nihilyst

@Nikolas:
Open Broadcaster Software should do the trick. Good quality, small files. (http://obsproject.com/)

Intense Degree

Quote from: Gribbler on Thu 14/11/2013 19:46:37
I don't know if this is a good place for it but I am in need of help so I ask, as the thread title says. I have a question for English native speakers. What does "ice" stand for? Apart from the obvious frozen water. I know it could also mean metaamphetamine and diamond jewelery. But what else? The sentence is:

"I also really need someone to bring ice. I had a sign-up sheet at the gathering and nobody fucking chose ice. What's the big deal? Come on, somebody. Be a rock star. Own it. (pause) Ice, out."

The only other use I can think of for Ice (which doesn't fit the context anyway) is as an acronym for "In Case of Emergency". A few years ago there was a thing about having an emergency contact number on your mobile phone saved as "ICE" so people knew who to phone.

However, in your example above, the guy is clearly wandering around with Ned Stark's sword! :wink:

Snarky

Aren't you guys discounting the straightforward possibility that he's actually talking about ice (frozen water)? In the US, it's relatively common to bring ice (which is sold in bags in supermarkets and gas stations, crushed or in ice cubes) to parties as a way to cool beverages and for refreshment. The only thing that doesn't quite make sense in this reading is the "Ice, out" bit at the end.

Edit: Missed that Mods had edited his post to say the same thing.

TheBitPriest

I would assume that the "Ice, out" is just a misuse of a comma. "Out" means "I'm finished."

Snarky

Right, but that only works if Ice is a name, which makes the rest of the statement read rather caveman-y. Like: "Tarzan need ride to party. No one offer to give Tarzan ride. Why no one help Tarzan out? Tarzan had it with this shit."

TheBitPriest

;-D Ha!  That could be a possibility. 

However, what I meant was that perhaps he should have used an exclamation point rather than a comma. I agreed with your assumption that he was asking for someone to bring a bag of ice.  I took the final "ice" as a one word exclamatory sentence emphasizing his need for ice.  "Ice!  Out."

But without more context, who could know?  It might have been a autocorrect error, and he actually typed "Peace, out."   ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk