Ask something - We can help.

Started by Stupot, Fri 19/12/2008 20:06:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

First of all thanks for your replies, on my little powerpoint issue. Unfortunately I've not been able to produce any decent results. The second link (Open Broadcasting) has problems on my computer, but I've still got to check it to other computers I have... and I simply do not have Powerpoint 2010 (office) and I won't get into torrent stuff... :-/

Still thank you for all your help! You are always lovely!

Ghost

Funfact: There's also Resonantium, a rare element that is exclusively used to make trophies NO-ONE can carry. (laugh)

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

InCreator

Why does emboss filter exist in graphics software?

I kind of understand what it does and where does it get its name, but "it makes stuff look like it's embossed into metal" doesn't sound either practical at any level or situation, nor does it look good enough to be one of must-have vanilla filters.

...or is it just "Hello World!" of shader/filter programming? Pixel processing logic seems simple enough...?
What am I missing?

Anian

Quote from: InCreator on Thu 28/11/2013 11:13:36

I kind of understand what it does and where does it get its name, but "it makes stuff look like it's embossed into metal" doesn't sound either practical at any level or situation, nor does it look good enough to be one of must-have vanilla filters.

...or is it just "Hello World!" of shader/filter programming? Pixel processing logic seems simple enough...?
What am I missing?
A couple of weeks ago I discovered the power of High pass filter through some tutorials...I no longer doubt there's a brilliant use of any filter in PS.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Eric

Quote from: InCreator on Thu 28/11/2013 11:13:36

Instead of using it on images, use it on text. Some neat effects to be gained.

I also used it to create a stamped-foil look on this cover mockup:

InCreator

That, indeed, look like an awesome cover mockup.
Thanks

Nikolas

I'm looking for political/social/economic serious poetry, to set on contemporary classical music...

Where on earth to look, that doesn't involve "check the library" kind of reply? I've been looking in poetry forums, but in all honesty the sheer huge amount of poetry, plus the unwillingness of the forum members to help out makes it really difficult...

Babar

Hmmmm....Robert Graves wrote many poems about his experiences in the First World War. Not sure how much more serious you can get than that.

I guess that would be one way to search out stuff you're interested in. Google things like '"World War two" poet' or '"Cold war" poet', specific to the subject.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

jwalt

@ Nikolas

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but, while doing unrelated research, I came across a poem in the New York Times. Edna St. Vincent Millay had sent it as a letter to the editor. The link has the poem.

http://www.arlindo-correia.com/060800.html

Nikolas

Crimson Wizard

I lack English words. Or rather not sure which of the numerous variants I know would fit for this particular case. Might be there's a strictly-defined scientific term for this?

I am looking for names for two math functions.
1) One calculates the "positive difference" between X and Y where X is supposed to be larger, that is:
- if X is larger than Y, the result is X - Y.
- otherwise result is 0.
So it is not simply "Difference" (because difference can be negative). So far I came with "Surplus", but not sure.
2) The opposite, "positive difference" between X and Y where X is supposed to be smaller:
- if X is smaller than Y, the result is Y - X.
- otherwise result is 0.
What can it be... "Lack"? "Deficit"? Hmm...

Duh, I don't need second function. :)

bicilotti

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 02/01/2014 00:28:10
I am looking for names for two math functions.
1) One calculates the "positive difference" between X and Y where X is supposed to be larger, that is:
- if X is larger than Y, the result is X - Y.
- otherwise result is 0.
So it is not simply "Difference" (because difference can be negative). So far I came with "Surplus", but not sure.

I have seen it called "bounded subtraction", see for example this Coq library.

Stupot

Last year my Advent laptop died suddenly. I have since been using (or seem to have inherited) my dad's HP Compaq laptop.

The Compaq badly suffers from really bad slowdowns and freezing. In all the palaver of trying to get Broken Sword 5 to work on this machine the conclusion seems to be a lack of RAM.  So I decided to buy some new RAM and see if that does the trick (even if BS5 still doesn't work, I should see some improved performance).

But before I fork out the money I haven't got, it suddenly occurred to me that I might be able to use the stick of 1GB RAM from my old Advent laptop.  From what I can tell, they are very similar RAM modules.  The question is: are they similar enough?

Code: text

Brand:          Advent                        Compaq
Form Factor:	DIMM 200-pin                  DIMM 200-pin
MPN:	        555283-AD-1024                702914-HP-1024
Model:	        8117                          Presario Notebook C765EM
Type:	        DDR2 SDRAM                    DDR2 SDRAM
Bus Speed:	PC2-4200 (DDR2-533)           PC2-5300 (DDR2-667)

So, based on these numbers, do you think it is possible to try sticking the Advent's RAM into the spare slot on my Compaq, or is this simply not possible? If not, what would be likely to happen? Would it just not work or could it damage my machine? Is it worth trying or should I be shot for even considering it?

I just thought I'd run this past you clever people before I go doing something potentially stupid.

Stee

Would be fine stu. Worst case scenario laptop wont boot until you remove offending memory
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Khris

It should work absolutely fine, the only downside is that the Advent's stick is slower (533MHz instead of 667MHz), which will bring down the overall speed to its level. It's probably barely noticeable though, and an increase by 1GB should more than compensate for a slight loss of speed.
(As far as hardware compatibility, the only thing that matters is that both are of the same type, in this case DDR2.)

Stupot

Okay. Thanks guys. I'll give it a go later today :-)

Weston_Kaunk

So, I probably missed it. But is there a thread for just art crap. Project I'm working on is going to have a metric ton of art and I was wondering if there was a place for me to let loose my children for public ridicule? .. and suggestions/hints art and tips, those too.
tldr: I say too much
http://westonkaunk.itch.io/

Stupot

@Weston - If you want to post your artwork to be critiqued, you'll be wanting The Critic's Lounge :-)

Adeel

Stupot+, you forgot to tell us whether the RAMs worked together or not. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk