Music CDs loudness insanity

Started by strazer, Wed 26/05/2004 01:34:34

Previous topic - Next topic

modgeulator

I didn't realize I'd confused you. I never said clipping and compression where the same thing at all. Distortion in a guitar amp and digital clipping are two completely different things as well, I'm sure you realize.

shbaz

Quote from: modgeulator on Wed 26/05/2004 23:20:19
I didn't realize I'd confused you. I never said clipping and compression where the same thing at all. Distortion in a guitar amp and digital clipping are two completely different things as well, I'm sure you realize.

Not really, some digital apps will by default compress instead of clipping. Otherwise the only difference is the perfection that is only possible in digital form. A digitally clipped wave will have a perfectly sharp edge and flat top, while analog clips will be a little rounded, depending on the circuitry. The imperfection that tubes produce is what makes them so desirable in guitar amps. In any case except for auto-compression, the clipping is still the same in concept, though the means to implement it perfectly aren't available in analog circuitry.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

modgeulator

Whatever. It sounds completely different, so nothing else really matters.

Timosity

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Wed 26/05/2004 22:34:32
The reason they make the song's volume so loud and compressed is simply because of this: they want their song the loudest song in comparison with others played on the radio or in a restaurant, and that way it will stand out the most. It is simply just LOUDER. In order to get their songs that loud, they resort to compression.

They also do this with TV comercials, "apparently" the dB is the same but it just seems louder. Have you noticed when watching tv with the sound fairly low, whenever the ads come on the volume seems to increase dramatically. They say it's not louder, just more compressed. which still doesn't mean shit cause it's still friggin louder.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk