London Riots - OR - What's your favourite thing about Hitler?

Started by Ali, Mon 08/08/2011 18:20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

So in the very sense all of the children in the US were also responsible of dropping the bomb and all the people in Germany who hated the Nazis (yes, believe me, there were some), were all responsible of the genosides?
The Nazis were responsible for the dropping of bombs on Germany ...

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org
...The Blitz (from German, "lightning") was the sustained strategic bombing of Britain by Nazi Germany between 7 September 1940 and 10 May 1941, during the Second World War. The city of London was bombed by the Luftwaffe for 76 consecutive nights and many towns and cities across the country followed. More than one million London houses were destroyed or damaged, and more than 40,000 civilians were killed, half of them in London...

...The first V-1 was launched at London on 13 June 1944, one week after (and prompted by) the successful Allied landing in Europe. At its peak, more than one hundred V-1s a day were fired at southeast England, 9,521 in total, decreasing in number as sites were overrun until October 1944, when the last V-1 site in range of Britain was overrun by Allied forces. This caused the remaining V-1s to be directed at the port of Antwerp and other targets in Belgium, with 2,448 V-1s being launched. The attacks stopped when the last site was overrun on 29 March 1945. In total, the V-1 attacks caused 22,892 casualties (almost entirely civilians)...

...Over 3,000 V-2s were launched as military rockets by the German Wehrmacht against Allied targets during the war, mostly London and later Antwerp. The attacks resulted in the death of an estimated 7,250 military personnel and civilians, while 12,000 forced laborers were killed producing the weapons...

NsMn

So, the Nazis caused the bombings (which is way too simplified), but the German commoners had to pay for it?

Tuomas

and in Japan it was the children that caused the bombings?

Atelier

My favourite thing about Hitler is that he drastically reduced unemployment in Germany, established Volkswagen, his paintings revealed talent, and he was a gifted orator. Also Mein Kampf is an extraordinarily interesting book.

It's a shame his passion and charisma were misguided from the onset, as he could have done great things. He turned Germany into a phoenix which rose from the ashes of WWI. Anyway the symbols of Nazi Germany are still somewhat sinister, (rightfully or not, as endless pages have discussed prior), but no they won't always be. The World Wars will never be forgotten but yes over time their relevance to the modern (or future as the case may be) world will be increasingly less. Perspective: 1066 is still a famous date in England but no grudges are held. I only dislike the French because they don't know how to form queues. I cannot WAIT to party at Pevensey on the 1000th anniversary lol.

It's difficult to compare an isolated invasion to a whole world war, but that's the point, we don't have any reference points, WWII being the most cataclysmic war in human history. In 1000 years, will the symbols of Nazis be taboo? Or the things they did? I don't think so. Right now though it's acceptable for them to be - it's still modern history and scars still remain, in memory, culture, and the Cold War was spawned off Nazi Germany's defeat, which is more evidence the echoes of WWII are still very much present. A phantom of the war in the Pacific is that Japanese babies are still being born deformed today. Seriously WHAM you're a funny person who's made a couple of awesome games but you could afford to be a bit more tactful - not many people would think of anything other than Nazism when you use the terms Sieg Heil or 'final solution'. And btw the latter term is actually an official Nazi term, coined by the Nazis:

Quote from: Wikipedia
the German Nazi leader Adolf Hitler termed it "the final solution of the Jewish question" (German: die Endlösung der Judenfrage).

So. Hitler takes a lot of the wrap but cannot be entirely blamed for WWII (obviously he was ultimately instrumental in it occurring). Don't forget the Nazi party existed and held anti-Semitic views long before Hitler came into the scene (and Jews weren't the only ones persecuted - black people, homosexuals, gypsies, spastics). Nope, it wasn't solely Hitler's fault. It was Himmler, Goebbels, Heydrich, von Schirach (an interesting one highlighting indoctrination), etc... etc... etc... right down to the person pouring Zyklon B into the hatch, right down to the common Kraut with the gun. The women and children too? They definitely didn't pull a trigger. Oh wait... the boys probably did on Hitler Youth camps. The children were too young to know any different - or just parroted their parents' views. My point is, anybody who says that a baby in a cot is responsible solely because their father is fighting must be joking! Sure, they would have grown up to fight just like their father, or been brought up to be a good house-wife just like their mother, either way believing it is for the good of the Father land. But in no way are they responsible for decisions that had been made before they were born. Let's extend that shall we? In no way should anybody feel personally ashamed of the war, wherever their parents/grandparents allegiance lay.

Calin Leafshade

The blitz was a strategic bombing campaign again military centres.

The bombing of dresden was an obliteration of a largely cultural city with little to no strategic value.

Atelier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

Wasn't there also a carnival on in Dresden at the time? Which makes it more... tragic, if the word fits.

Tuomas

I must say, that ateliers beautiful, even cheesy words are the best this thread has come up with in a long while. :-*

Deloria

The bombing of Dresden was pointless and tragic. I'm so glad most of the stunning architecture could be rebuilt using original plans. Though things like the Zwinger look impressive and amazing and glorious (and yes, heartbreaking) as ruins as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk