Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesbot

Hello AGS community! I am Wesley. I remember trying out an older version of AGS, first the DOS version 2.3 and later the UI version 2.7. That feels like forever ago. I never released anything I made in AGS, or joined the forums (shame on me!)

I have no active adventure game project on-the-go, but I am busy with a work of interactive fiction (writing in Inform 6), and think I may perhaps adapt that into a visual game, one day.

What else? I am terrible at drawing (traditional and digital) but have enrolled in online art courses and hope to improve. I also love playing old games in DOSBox, when I get time, especially DOOM I and II. I keep a file of personal best UV Max speed runs. And I submitted a very short adventure game to Ludum Dare 33 2015, which is hosted on my website and named "Shape shift escape".

JonayaRiley

Hey there, AGS community - I'm Jonaya, a professional software dev and part-time director/game dev/writer living in NYC! I've been into adventure games (tbh just games in general) for a long - used to play the old classic Lucasarts and Sierra games as a little girl and I'm old enough to remember playing the early King's Quest games on the awe-inspiringly powerful 286 Compaq "portable" computer I inherited from my mom, lol

I've known about AGS for a long time (I played the old "X Days a Y" games years back) but I've only recently started exploring using it as an engine.

I'm the creative director for a new indie studio based in NY called Studio June Games. We're currently in active development on a RenPy game that I'm the director and lead writer for (Friendsim 2, a high-production community-made sequel to Hiveswap: Friendsim), and we published a couple of Unity game jam games (I did writing and some development on them, along with some UI art).

The next project we've got in pre-production for the studio is a currently-unannounced 2d retro survival horror/adventure game in the style of the original SNES Clocktower game, so I've been playing around with different engine options and concepts for how I want to approach the gameplay. I was working in Unity but think I might go in a more old-school direction and lean into the Clocktower vibes, hence AGS as a possibility.

Lupussy

This is my hello to the community!

I just started to fiddle around with AGS and think I finally found a new hobby that combines my profession with the fun of being creative. For quite a while now I've been thinking of creating a little game for a friend. Back in the early 90's we programmed a couple of little text adventures and shared them with friends but we always had in mind to do something visually more advanced. Back then it had been quite a challenge and I never got far.

Now I started a new approach with the AGS, finished the graphics of the first sequence (a couple of rooms), started one first dialog, and I hope I will be able to finish the game I have in mind until this year's christmas time to spread it to the folks around me. Well ... we'll see. It won't be a very extensive game but hopefully a nice little pastime. Because of my background the game design will be made in the late 80's and early 90's style and in 320x240 pixels resolution. Starting this project is very much fun and hopefully there will be some people who'll enjoy the product in the end!

More from me (and perhaps about the game) later.

Cheers!
Lupussy

CaptainD

Greetings to all our new members!  ;-D

Petike

Hello, AGS community.

My username here is Petike, but you can all call me Pete.

I've known about AGS for well over a decade, but it's only been this year that I started looking into it more deeply and gradually learning how things can be done.

I do actually have a project in mind for the future, based on a certain fictional setting I've created, but as I'm still a learner, I'm not announcing anything yet. I want to learn AGS at least to the point where I could make the planned mechanics or features in my project work properly (or well enough), and it's only then that I'll start making non-testing art assets and actual writing for the project. I have quite a bit of fiction to base it on, so it's mainly about figuring out all the technical needs of the project first and how I could make them work within the context of AGS.

Either way, though I might not engage in discussion here on the forums all that often, and most of my discussions will likely be technical questions (at least those that I can't locate in a FAQ on the forums or outside of them), I'll keep in touch and no doubt post semi-regularly.

Well, I certainly hope I can be a reasonably creative, productive and respectful member of this community. Thank you for having me here. I'll try not to disappoint. :)

Circus_and_Circuits

Hello everyone. I hope I'm doing this correctly.

My name is Aesop, I'm from PA USA, I am 22, and I am currently starting my fourth year of university with a focus on game design and character design.

I joined AGS community in May this year; right after my third year of college ended and I was considering dropping out, as I didn't know what to do with my major (I had changed it several times since starting). I'm from a family which has been in maths and sciences for generations, so I had a bit of pressure to become something like a Chemist, Doctor, or Engineer. My parents saved lives by developing medicine and vaccines. My grandmother can do any math equation in her head like a human calculator. My uncles and cousins work on rockets and even things like roller coasters and architecture. Though these subjects fascinate me, sadly, I am the runt in that particular way, struggling with maths and gravitated towards drawing, writing poetry, and sewing from a young age. I have been carried away through life and excessively created/designed over 300 characters (186 that I still kept today) and written 10 storylines/universes (about 6 of which I still continue today), though my low confidence and struggles with personal issues and staying on-task (as well as my declining eyesight in the past five years) have limited me in actually doing anything useful or particularly "distributable" with these creations. I was fearful of being the "runt" for my whole life, and decided to search a way that I may be able to tell my stories.

Though I'm excited to have found this game creator, and though my skills do not lie in computers or coding (beyond simple bbcode) and I can't even figure out how to post videos to the internet or use popular social media apps, I have some hope that I'll be able to start learning how to draft my first video game. Most everyone here seems friendly and willing to help, and I hope I can contribute to the positive community in the near future.

I have created a brand-new story, based on a series of re-occurring dreams I have had, and it is my first tale with a beginning, middle, and end, as well as a cast of characters and environments. I have a document with some brainstorming, concept art, and lists of what I imagine the sound design, maps, and music to be like. I would be willing to present any parts of this story for anyone to critique.

Things I seem to struggle with are dialogue, timing, scenes, and build-up, as well as a few actual development and coding issues.

Now, to end this, I have a confession to make. I can count the number of videogames I've played in my life on my hands. I never understood disappointment when a game is more story-driven, and I feel like if I make a game that is leaning towards "interactive story" material, that it will be boring. But I guess we'll figure that out as I go.

Thank you for reading this post, and I hope I can go on to talk to some of you and maybe get some feedback on my scribblings and buggy code. I am on the Discord as well, as Circus+Circuits.

LimpingFish

Welcome, new members, and happy posting! ;-D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

bitmuchmate

Hi. I am Goldie - part of a weird little online collective called Bitmuchmate. I started learning AGS around Christmas 2022, and made a jokey demo of a Fate of Atlantis type thing, based on my friend Indy.

Anyway, I decided to press on with it and released a fully finished part 1 of a potential "saga" (in the least epic way possible) called Hey Der, Undy!

It's been exciting to put it out there and join the community and discord, and try out some of the amazing stuff that's been released on this site!

So...hello.

I'm making part 2 at the moment, and still considering refinements for the first part (we're at v1.2 so far).
Hey der!

ntgm8

Greetings to y'all. I'm Isaac, aka NtGm.
I make music and videos (mainly on YouTube, and I plan on making a game featuring my character that I created years ago (his name's Enty).
I started using AGS earlier this year, and I thought I'd join this forum.
8-) :cool: 8-) :cool:
NtGm 889 / Isaac L.
YouTube chanel

RootBound

Welcome! This forum is a great resource for solving all kinds of issues, and searching the past topics has saved me so much time and so many headaches.  (nod)  Most of my questions had been answered in past posts because the people here are very helpful.  :)  Good luck with your game!
They/them. Here are some of my games:

24twelve

Hello, AGS community!

I am Vitaliy. I live by by developing boring commerical software (mainly .NET stack). Since my childhood, I have always wanted to create games.
When I was at school (about 15 years from now), I've spent countless nights playing adevnture games (most of them were made with AGS engine). I was thrilled to see AGS community, but I was very shy so I did not participate then.

Now I am older and a barely have any free time. Right now, I have, like, 15 minutes of free time per day I can spend on creating my first adventure. I was thrilled to see that AGS community is alive and kicking so it was only natural to choose AGS for my first game.

Starting today, I will try to spend these 15 minutes to eventually create my first adventure and see whether game development is my cup of tea. I wonder, how many days this will take...

Creamy

Welcome Vitaliy,

15 minutes isn't much but soon you'll be so engrossed in your project that you'll stretch them to the wee hours (laugh)

Kastchey

Good to have you here, Vitaliy! Best of luck with your pet project. 15 minutes per day may not seem like much, but slow paced progress is still progress.

Alexei101mercurio

Hello everyone! My name is Alexei, I am completely new to all of this. I am using AGS since last year and am trying my best to express my thoughts in my future game.

I am very glad to see that the forum's alive and kicking! Don't judge me too hard if I ever misstep. But I am trying not to ask silliy questions.

adultsqualman

Hello everyone.

I was an active AGS member back around 2002 as the possibly now forgotten famously annoying Squalman. I got my start with AGS and now I work in the industry currently at a AAA game publisher with 3 AAA credits under my belt.

What brought me back here was between my professional work and the small indie game dev studio I helped form, we were having conversations of how we got into gaming and I always came back to AGS as my start. I looked up and just happened to find the actual first project I released here as a kid: A cup of coffee is worth a thousand bathroom breaks. It still exists, that blew me away. I can still find my old posts on the forum. It's a little time capsule that is dear to me.

I'm all grown up now, I have my own kids half way to how old I was then. I'm a software engineering manager and architect. So much of that started here.

heltenjon

Well, welcome back! Time machines really do exist, they just work differently than in the movies.  (laugh) And while I have you here - I guess you don't have your old games anymore? Warrior of Might is on the list of "lost games" that our archivists are looking for, and possibly others, too.

adultsqualman

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 18/11/2023 02:25:44Well, welcome back! Time machines really do exist, they just work differently than in the movies.  (laugh) And while I have you here - I guess you don't have your old games anymore? Warrior of Might is on the list of "lost games" that our archivists are looking for, and possibly others, too.

I honestly can't even verify if a game actually ever existed by any metric. I remember "A cup of coffee is worth 1000 bathroom trips" but I only barely remember Warrior of Might. I don't remember what it looked like or what I did at all. I don't really have anything from that time period left, I mean 22 years I've had a dozen computers since then, flash drives were only like 128MB and I was using a 20gb hard drive in my PC. Dropbox wasn't a thing yet.

I think the only reason I left AGS is because I started playing in the Hammer editor and got involved in some mod projects for the Source engine.

I wish somebody had a copy of Warriors of Might because I'd love to remember what it even was (if anything at all).

PAsystem

Hi!

I'm PA, I'm a land-use/environmental planner. I've been playing adventure games for years, and I'm looking forward to trying to make one. :)

nina14

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm Nina and I'm 29 years old. I live in France. I'm learning video game creation and I use Adventure Game Studio.
I often play video games and now I play to the last Zelda on Switch.
Have a nice day!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk