One reason why I hate this country...

Started by esper, Fri 02/02/2007 02:42:51

Previous topic - Next topic

esper

Jamestown, the first successful colony, was founded in 1607. That's exactly 400 years. America existed as a body ruled by the colonials but under the crown until the war in 1775, and we adopted the declaration of independence upon our completion of said conflict in 1776. The Constitution was ratified in 1789. Just because we weren't independent from Britain until 1776 doesn't mean we weren't a country in 1607. We didn't magically appear here in 1776, having won the revolution and grown into a fully self-supporting country.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

DGMacphee

Quote from: rharpe on Tue 06/02/2007 06:44:49
Quote from: DGMacphee
You're right! America is still a young country! And you'd think after 500 or so years it'd graduate from diapers to big boy pants, but they just haven't potty trained it enough yet.
Not 500 years. Try (2007 - 1776 = 231 years.)

See other posters above.

By the way, I love your knack for adding something patriotic to a conversation, even though 90 per cent of the time it has no relevance to what anyone is talking about and/or is complete gibberish.
Yes, even though my country appears to look evil to the rest of the world, it actually is made up of a lot of good citizens. I am not ashamed. I am very proud to be an American!

Once again, something patriotic that has absolutely nothing to do with the whole Boston bomb scare. I'm guessing if this conversation was about puppies you'd write something like "GOD BLESS THE USA FOR PUPPIES!!1!"

And you do realise no matter how much you tell me you're proud to be an American, I'm still not going to raise my care-factor above "I don't give a crap".
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Tuomas

I just couldn't stop thinking, maybe this was their marketing plan. I mean, hey, can't say most people in the country who follow the news wouldn't know about the cartoon now. A way cunning.

anyway, if somewhere people are a fraid of a purse that someone left in a subway, something's terribly wrong. Either in the people who are scared, or those who make bombs to keep people scared. I can say if I found a bag, I'd open it immediately, see if there's a phone or a wallet and take it back, not call the police and spent rest of the year crying and running around in my house. This as in to point out how different it can all be in other countries.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Warning:  off-topic.

QuoteJamestown, the first successful colony

You mentioned the important word here, Esper: colony.  That's all America was until that fateful moment when the colonists declared their sovereignty from England.  You can't really say America as a country existed when it was still a colony, unless you speak in the broadest of terms (America as a continent).

rharpe

See other posters above.
Cop-out. The Declaration of Independence defined us as a country, not the "white" immigrants that just decided to settle here.

Once again, something patriotic that has absolutely nothing to do with the whole Boston bomb scare. I'm guessing if this conversation was about puppies you'd write something like "GOD BLESS THE USA FOR PUPPIES!!1!"
Esper shows his disgust for a country that I am proud to be apart of. How is this not relevant?

And you do realise no matter how much you tell me you're proud to be an American, I'm still not going to raise my care-factor above "I don't give a crap".
Quote"Respect other people. This goes for old timers and newcomers. People need to earn respect before their opinion can be taken seriously and also should respect many of the people who made the games that built this community. Old timers to the AGS forums also need to respect the opinions new people when they've gained some trust. However, this trust between old people and new people can be taken away if new people abuse the trust of the older folk. Also, we regularly cover topics from the very serious to the very silly, but whatever the issue, if you disagree with someone, calmly explain why you think differently. Name-calling and swearing at people will not be tolerated."[/b]
Key word here, respect.
"Hail to the king, baby!"

DGMacphee

Quote from: rharpe on Tue 06/02/2007 15:37:46
See other posters above.
Cop-out. The Declaration of Independence defined us as a country, not the "white" immigrants that just decided to settle here.

Okay, so ignore all history that lead to creation the Declaration of Independence. Obviously none of the stuff that happened between 1493 to 1776 had any relevance in shaping that particular document. Gotcha.

Esper shows his disgust for a country that I am proud to be apart of. How is this not relevant?

Esper is disgusted for an actual reason. Yours is something that didn't actually have anything to do with what he said. I mean, do you actually read threads like these, or do you just write "GOD BLESS USA" where ever there's some loose connection.

QuoteKey word here, respect.

I respect people and their beliefs. If you think America is awesome, good for you. I got nothing against America and I know a lot of fine people there. But when someone writes gibberish such as "America is still a young country and we must be learning from all of Europe's mistakes. (They're not free first.)" then I calls it like I sees it. Yeah, looks like gibberish. Smells like gibberish. *munch munch* Whoa, it even tastes like gibberish.

nulluser

-

Hammerite

i agree.
we even give them free stuff too!
:o
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

esper

I just heard the semi-end result of this on Attack of the Show... Apparently, Turner paid 2 million dollars - one to recoup the 3/4 million dollars Boston shelled out for reasons unknown and another million for all the trouble it caused the city (even though the people who were really troubled by this, such as the people who sat in stopped in traffic all day and couldn't make it to work or the hospital will never see a cent of it). And, the two guys responsible for the Boston thing are still being held pending judgment.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

rharpe

Okay, so ignore all history that lead to creation the Declaration of Independence. Obviously none of the stuff that happened between 1493 to 1776 had any relevance in shaping that particular document. Gotcha.
You must get off this site sometime: Read up my friend.

Quote from: DGMacpheeEsper is disgusted for an actual reason. Yours is something that didn't actually have anything to do with what he said. I mean, do you actually read threads like these, or do you just write "GOD BLESS USA" where ever there's some loose connection.
Like you, I read what I like and respond how I feel about it. That's what the General Discussion area is all about, right?

I respect people and their beliefs. If you think America is awesome, good for you. I got nothing against America and I know a lot of fine people there. But when someone writes gibberish such as "America is still a young country and we must be learning from all of Europe's mistakes. (They're not free first.)" then I calls it like I sees it. Yeah, looks like gibberish. Smells like gibberish. *munch munch* Whoa, it even tastes like gibberish.
I'm sorry if the truth hurts you so much. We ARE a young nation, is this not a true statement? And other European countries HAVE been around much longer, have they not? Yet another true statement.

I sense tension in your gibberish as well! But this is good, because it shows you love your country as much as I love my country. (The way it should be.)  ;)

DGMacphee

Quote from: rharpe on Wed 07/02/2007 03:13:35
You must get off this site sometime: Read up my friend.

You know what's crazy? I DID get off this site and visited that exact page before typing my reply. I also checked this page, especially the part entitled English Colonial America (1493-1776). But according to you, we should ignore this part because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the formation of the Declaration of Independence.

QuoteLike you, I read what I like and respond how I feel about it. That's what the General Discussion area is all about, right?

Great, respond how you feel. Just read the thread first instead of typing your usual "USA A-OK" nonsense. Then respond.

QuoteI'm sorry if the truth hurts you so much.

That's like the most stupidest thing you've said. "The truth hurts so much". What is this? A Few Good Men?

QuoteWe ARE a young nation, is this not a true statement? And other European countries HAVE been around much longer, have they not? Yet another true statement.

I sense tension in your gibberish as well! But this is good, because it shows you love your country as much as I love my country. (The way it should be.)  ;)

Great, but this has nothing, nil, zippo, zilch, nada, and sweet buckleys to do with the Boston Bomb Scare.

Anyway, I've made my point. I'm out of this thread.

rharpe

Quote from: DGMacpheeYou know what's crazy? I DID get off this site and visited that exact page before typing my reply. I also checked this page, especially the part entitled English Colonial America (1493-1776). But according to you, we should ignore this part because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the formation of the Declaration of Independence.
The country was not the USA until they declared their independence... that's all I'm trying to say.

Great, respond how you feel. Just read the thread first instead of typing your usual "USA A-OK" nonsense. Then respond.
I suppose the response was more to the title than the contents. And more directed at Esper.

That's like the most stupidest thing you've said. "The truth hurts so much". What is this? A Few Good Men?
That's an American movie!  ;D

Great, but this has nothing, nil, zippo, zilch, nada, and sweet buckleys to do with the Boston Bomb Scare.

Anyway, I've made my point. I'm out of this thread.
Thanks for the discussion, it sure helps me refresh on history. I shall leave now too.

Blackthorne

Hey, I love my country.  I know it's not perfect, and we can be a boorish society, but it's home - and I like the fact, that despite it being HARDER these days, you can make a difference - at least in your own life.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Alynn

Ok rharpe, you are going to make me bite.

First off, you are displaying the exact behavior of Americans that I have been fighting for years. As of today I've lived 4 years of my life in Europe (3 in Germany and 1 in the UK, although, to be fair, Brits don't think they are a part of Europe :P). I already have 2 strikes against me with many people I meet out in the local economy (military term, when overseas we mean the area outside the base, since on base we still use the USD) just because I'm an American, and worse yet, a soldier. It's one thing to be a patriot and be proud of the country you live in, it's another to push that belief on others, not unlike religion (which we all know you are keen on doing as well).

You don't see me running around spouting America is das Great, All Hail! Because there is no reason to do so.

Right now our country is under a state of paranoia, and deeper than that, a state of non-self blame. Nobody wants to be responsible for anything. The Boston goverment didn't want to say, "Oops, ok, we over-reacted." They say, TURNER BROADCASTING YOU OWE US MONEY. It's your fault we made this mistake. And you two kids that put those LED posters up, well you will go to jail!

Don't try to deny the fact that we are a finger pointing society. Just look at all the parents that blame videogames, and violent television for their childrens problems, yet they never look at themselves for letting their kids HAVE those games, and watch those television shows.

But in the end, ATHF got what they were looking for, even if it may not be the way the origionally thought. They got some publicity, and some people are probably watching the show now that weren't previously. Some people that don't watch Cartoon Network, or surf the internet, but do watch the local news.

Oh, and rharpe, before you try to tell me how I'm a bad American, I'd like to ask you this. How many years have you been serving the US? Willing to lay your life on the line so that other people like you can have their opinions and state them freely, while you yourself cannot fully express your views.

I've been doing that for a decade, I have pride and patriotism, but I also call a spade a spade.

SSH

Quote from: Alynn on Wed 07/02/2007 08:54:45
First off, you are displaying the exact behavior of Americans that I have been fighting for years.

And this from a guy who had an army posting in Iraq? No wonder they're having so much trouble out there if the soldiers are fighting the Americans instead of the insurgents... ;)

rharpe

Quote from: Alynn
Ok rharpe, you are going to make me bite.
Now what did I say?

First off, you are displaying the exact behavior of Americans that I have been fighting for years.
...It's one thing to be a patriot and be proud of the country you live in, it's another to push that belief on others, not unlike religion (which we all know you are keen on doing as well).
Sorry, I don't mean to push anything on anyone. Just like my patriotism. I feel everyone should be proud of their own country. Am I wrong for saying this?

Quote from: AlynnYou don't see me running around spouting America is das Great, All Hail! Because there is no reason to do so.
I suppose you're right, that is a bit silly.

Don't try to deny the fact that we are a finger pointing society. Just look at all the parents that blame videogames, and violent television for their childrens problems, yet they never look at themselves for letting their kids HAVE those games, and watch those television shows.
I agree that our society is getting worse when it comes to self responsibility.

Oh, and rharpe, before you try to tell me how I'm a bad American, I'd like to ask you this. How many years have you been serving the US? Willing to lay your life on the line so that other people like you can have their opinions and state them freely, while you yourself cannot fully express your views.
No , I'm not in the service. And I never have been. When my dad came back from Vietnam, I pretty much knew this wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. My dad was not in combat, but sent letters home to the families of the fallen sons and daughters. Not an easy job. I have the utmost respect of those that provide what freedom we have left today. Many times I must hold back from hugging every man and woman in uniform... because that's what I want to do. I agree, without them, freedom would be an unused english word in todays day and age. 

I've been doing that for a decade, I have pride and patriotism, but I also call a spade a spade.
Again, thank you for your sacrifice.

Helm

Okay, it's extremely difficult for me not to write this, so I will:

explain to me how the US military has after its participation in world war II, ensured the freedom and wellbeing of americans with their military action outside of america (which is where it occurs)

honest question, I'd really like to get an answer
WINTERKILL

SSH

Well, I'd suggest that the naval blockade of Cuba probably was one example. Also: Berlin airlift, evacuation of US citizens from Dominican Republic, Cambodia, Egypt (during Suez crisis), Cyprus, etc.

Miez

Quote from: TheVintageDemon on Tue 06/02/2007 17:51:41
One reason why I hate the so-called 'Great' Britannia, because they let anyone in. Even vicious bombers.

Ehm - could be me, but weren't the 20 (alleged) Twin Towers terrraaarrrists American citizens?

Nacho

This is a boring spiral... It's a bit annoying to see the same old stuff in every thread with the world "USA" in it, no matter if the topic really is about taxes, vaccines, MTV or bright advertisements. Please, do stop.

Why don' t we make a sticky topic? It could start with "The classical 20 anti american arguments" ("America is the capitalist-zionist-imperialist entity, blah, blah...").

Then might come the 20 sentences that the "God bless USA" guys use to reply with (Something quite fscist, like "We saved your ass in Normandie, fucking retarded Europeans!") or something in that direction...

Then a bit that the "Cool americans" use to mention ("We are not Bush, my dad fought against the invassion of Vietnam blah, blah...")

Then the classical reply the most anti-americans die hard people use to say ("But you choose Bush, therefore you all are idiots")

Then we close the topic, and we go on with something NEW.

Thanks.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk