Games minimizing on Windows 8.1

Started by RetroJay, Fri 02/05/2014 23:35:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroJay

Hi all good peeps.

My Brothers Windows 8.1 machine seems to have developed another strange and un-explained oddity.
For the last two days now, games that were running fine now keep minimizing to the Taskbar.
He clicks the game in the Taskbar and it opens up full screen again.

Searching the Web hasn't helped, or shed any light on the problem.
He hasn't installed any new programs lately, his wallpaper is static and all drivers are up to date.

I said to him that I would ask the, knowledgeable, people here to see if anyone can help.

Here is a chance for one or many of you to shine.:)

Yours.
Jay.     

LimpingFish

Sticky Windows key?

It sounds as if something keeps stealing focus from his games, but unless he can pinpoint the process that would be doing that...or it could be a resolution/refresh glitch of some sort? Does it happen if he runs his games in a window?

Or it could be something specific to Windows 8.1...the possibilities are endless, really.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

RetroJay

Hi LimpingFish.

Yeah.
I know what you mean, it could be one of a hundred things.

As far as I can tell, it's not a sticky Windows key.

I have taken a look at his Machine, gone through as many things as I could think of.
As far as I can see there is nothing that should be causing the problem... However.
I haven't tried running his games in a window, yet.

I'm sure that he said it started happening after he installed 'Reckoning - Kingdoms of Amalur'.
I can't be sure of this, though, until I speak with him again.

Thanks for your help.

Jay.

P.s
I do know that Microsoft are supposedly bringing out another update for Windows 8.1 in September (8.1.2), which is meant to correct more issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk