This pisses me off

Started by PsychicHeart, Wed 09/08/2006 09:51:18

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychicHeart

So i was conversing with a friend of a friend the other day, and the subject soon turned to music.

Them: What kind of music do you like?
Me: Um, Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, basically any kind of metal or rock.
Them: Oh, so you're like a goth.

Now this pisses me off to insane extent. If someone were to tell you that they enjoyed listening to RnB, you wouldn't instantly assume that they carry a large boombox, breakdance and wear parachute pants.
Needless to say, I abruptly told her that i was not, in fact, gothic, and that she was a stereotyping bitch.
Anyone got any comments?
Cheers,
Fluke.

Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Obi

I think you need to calm down abit. Calling her a stereotyping bitch is abit harsh and that's no way to get into her goodbooks! Perhaps you should instead kindly explain why you like the genre of music and why it is not linked to people of the gothic movement. Or you could just talk about Films, because films are good and you are not.

CaptainBinky

A Lemmy & Binky Production

BOYD1981

yeh man, perhaps she was just joking.
you shouldn't be so goth about it.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

PsychicHeart

Quote from: CaptainBinky on Wed 09/08/2006 09:59:08
Quote from: Flukeblake on Wed 09/08/2006 09:51:18Anyone got any comments?

Oh, so you're a goth?
How did what i say imply that?
And BOYD, i know for a fact she WASN'T joking.
And btw, i did explain to her that rock music and gothic/emo lifestyles are different, but it annoys me all the same.

Oz

This pissed you off enough to call her a "stereotyping bitch"? Considered therapy? ;)
Diversity is divine!

SSH

Just one question: what colour clothes were you wearing at the time, Fluke?

Helm

Start a blog and/or a myspace page.
WINTERKILL

Alynn

You forgot the part where after the altercation you went home to cut yourself to ease the pain.

I've never actually had anyone consider me goth because I listen to much of the same thing you do. Then again I don't constantly wear black, dye my hair, wear 3000 chains all over my clothes, and eyeliner. To me this is more the goth lifestyle than the music you listen to.

PsychicHeart

Quote from: SSH on Wed 09/08/2006 10:30:09
Just one question: what colour clothes were you wearing at the time, Fluke?
My school uniform. Navy, light blue, and grey. Not a dark black in sight.

SSH

Ishmael

She was a bit stereotypical then.

I dare call someone goth when they've painted their face white and eyelines black or something, in addition to black clothes, black hair and a ton of chains hainging on the belt. Because that's what, to my understanding, a goth person actually is... I only have the black clothes and chains parts :P
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

PsychicHeart

Quote from: Ishmael on Wed 09/08/2006 10:57:01
I dare call someone goth when they've painted their face white and eyelines black or something, in addition to black clothes, black hair and a ton of chains hainging on the belt. Because that's what, to my understanding, a goth person actually is... I only have the black clothes and chains parts :P
Well said.  :)

Renal Shutdown

Does she know what a goth is?  Does she know what any fashion movement is?  If she's around the same age as you, I doubt she understands it very well.  Instead of insulting her, you should have simply said:

"No, I'm not, because..".

Also, 'Blake.  There's a difference between being Gothic and being a Goth.  Before getting on your high horse, you should research the various styles.

That way, you'll look intelligent.  Instead of looking like a mean-spirited, self-obsessed dick.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

ManicMatt

Like they said, there's two kinds of goth.

Someone who dresses like a "goth". (Although this in itself is a rather contradictive statement, as a goth in the seventies/eighties was someone who refused to dress up like the majority, however the goth look is now commonplace thus losing it's meaning of independence.)

Someone who listens to gothic music. This isn't the bands you mentioned. Gothic music is things like The sisters of mercy, Paradise Lost, Mortiis, HIM, Cradle of filth and Nightwish. I listen to some of these artists but that doesn't make me a goth, and besides, I listen to Keane too. (For example)

modgeulator

Them: So what kind of music do you like?
Me: Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death.
Them: Oh right, thank god you're not some Megadeth loving goth type. I hate those goth peoples.
Me: I concur.

MarkPhantom

I love Nightwish, and I am rarely called a goth. I am referred to as rather sadistic and disturbing though.

'Hallow's End: Everyone goes there eventually'  http://www.freewebs.com/codpiecestudios

Haddas

Does this thread makes you wonder WHAT you are?

I like Tiny Tim as much as I like Immortal, Korpiklaani, La Bouche or Lazy Town.

MarkPhantom

Oh, I always wonder what I am.

My parents call me deeply odd.

'Hallow's End: Everyone goes there eventually'  http://www.freewebs.com/codpiecestudios

cjhrules

I know the feeling ;) I told a friend I liked Star Wars, he then replied, "Star Wars, hmmm, is that the movie with Samuel Jacksson"... that pissed me of for some reason  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk