Adventure Island

Started by Michael2968, Mon 27/05/2013 15:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

Quote from: inkman on Thu 27/06/2013 13:16:04
in the room with the lemmings. The hotspot will remain after, the bridge has been blown up. Click on it again, and Annie will do a little dance and the game will freeze.
Thank you for reporting these bugs.  This first one is one that slipped through the net.  Thank you for noticing it.  It will be fixed in the next version.
In the mysterium. The book and picture puzzel will not work, if you go and get the orb, from the room second to the last on the left side of the tower, and come back to it.
I'm not sure I understand the problem.  Getting the blue globe from the book in the tower room is the goal of that section.  Why would you want to operate the book in the library once you have the globe?
In the pirateshop. I would like to buy the seeds, I have the coins, but the hotspot on the clark has gone, and all I did was talk to him.
This bug has been fixed in version 1.5.  There is also a patch to update version 1.4 to version 1.5.  Unfortunately you will need to replay that section after using the patch.  The patch can be downloaded from: https://www.box.com/s/j096fb33cuvxd6f86h2i
Question: I the maze: I have found 2 x hourglass. See a number in a crystalball. What am I missing?

By the way, nice game
Splat44 has already answered this question.  What I will add is that if you don't succeed in doing it the first time, keep trying (but don't reload a saved game). Patience will be rewarded.
I'm glad you like my game.

splat44

In control room ...
Spoiler
this area I am dying often after few clicks which is confusion as to what to next. I see a control at far left and what I need doing there?
[close]

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Fri 28/06/2013 20:20:59
In control room ...
Spoiler
this area I am dying often after few clicks which is confusion as to what to next. I see a control at far left and what I need doing there?
[close]
There are four things Annie can do in the control room...
Spoiler
1. Free the scientists from the containment area.  2. Return the scientists to the island using the Actualiser.  3. Destroy the Totems with the Digital Cannon.  4. Set the Self Destruct mechanism to blow up the facility.
[close]

axxesfun

First of all, elentgirl, thank you very much for this great game. Congratulations for creating such a complex game in this quite perfect form. It contains everything a nice adventure game should have!  (nod)

However, it seems finally I really need a small hint please...
Spoiler

I still cant figure out how to deal with the runes. Even if I had any translation, I dont see how to enter this into the given machine. It is the very last thing I am missing in this area (to get the last crystal, I guess) and for getting the last marble.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: axxesfun on Sun 30/06/2013 16:00:31
... Congratulations for creating such a complex game in this quite perfect form. It contains everything a nice adventure game should have!  (nod)

I agree! I really enjoyed the game as well. It's very well designed and planned.
Spoiler

I still cant figure out how to deal with the runes. Even if I had any translation, I dont see how to enter this into the given machine. It is the very last thing I am missing in this area (to get the last crystal, I guess) and for getting the last marble.
[close]

Answer:

Spoiler
You are looking at the names of the seven dwarves from Snow White. Use that to work out the symbols corresponding to letters from the English alphabet. THEN, go back to the first room where the different artifacts are displayed and use the key you've created to decipher the instructions on opening the vault.
[close]

Come back if you get stuck! Good luck

SHADOW

axxesfun

Thanks Shadow! But even the hint of Uziel did not work well for me. Maybe I am just a bit too blind on those runes.

Spoiler
...based on the numbers of runes, I sussed that the 3 letter one was Doc, given the runes matched up for Dopey... Still I dunno how he figured out the 3 letter word means "DOC" and "DOPEY" is the 5 letter word? Then I shall continue by just only GUESSING all the rest? really? First dwarf name I get "XXeepy"... and it does not ring any bell in my head for any common english name I know of. Seems very difficult and -at least for me- nearly impossible to solve it this way!
[close]

elentgirl

Quote from: axxesfun on Mon 01/07/2013 00:13:00
Thanks Shadow! But even the hint of Uziel did not work well for me. Maybe I am just a bit too blind on those runes.

Spoiler
...based on the numbers of runes, I sussed that the 3 letter one was Doc, given the runes matched up for Dopey... Still I dunno how he figured out the 3 letter word means "DOC" and "DOPEY" is the 5 letter word? Then I shall continue by just only GUESSING all the rest? really? First dwarf name I get "XXeepy"... and it does not ring any bell in my head for any common english name I know of. Seems very difficult and -at least for me- nearly impossible to solve it this way!
[close]
Translating the runes...
Spoiler
The names of the seven dwarves are those in the story of Snow White, and in case any players are not familiar with these I have put a Fairy History in the schoolroom which gives enough of the dwarf names for the rune alphabet to be cracked.
[close]
I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty with this.

axxesfun

Quote from: elentgirl on Mon 01/07/2013 10:31:24
Quote from: axxesfun on Mon 01/07/2013 00:13:00

Spoiler
[close]
Translating the runes...
Spoiler
The names of the seven dwarves are those in the story of Snow White, and in case any players are not familiar with these I have put a Fairy History in the schoolroom which gives enough of the dwarf names for the rune alphabet to be cracked.
[close]
I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty with this.

Thanks elentgirl - well, got it finally! The riddle was quite some challenge...
Spoiler
Who would have thought of the need to re-read an old story in a different place. Beside this one, I would also rate the website and the games wall solution very well hidden.

But since you cant return back in time at the "game wall", the player is forced to load a saved game or -if unavailable- restart the game. Now that I am trying to solve the endgame, I really think another 30sec. or better an addionation 1 minute extra time would have been better. Also for destroying the totems, using the pc mouse for this situation is bit of a hassle, cause you really need to point & hit into a quite small gfx frame. Unfortuantely "arrow-keys + space-key" are not an option here.
[close]

In case the game would not contain these 3 tiny issues, I would have rated it 100/100 points... (roll)
Again, Thank you for 3 days of great adventure game fun. To me, it seems like you worked a 100 times longer doing it...

elentgirl

Quote from: axxesfun on Mon 01/07/2013 23:39:35
Spoiler
Who would have thought of the need to re-read an old story in a different place. Beside this one, I would also rate the website and the games wall solution very well hidden.

But since you cant return back in time at the "game wall", the player is forced to load a saved game or -if unavailable- restart the game. Now that I am trying to solve the endgame, I really think another 30sec. or better an addionation 1 minute extra time would have been better. Also for destroying the totems, using the pc mouse for this situation is bit of a hassle, cause you really need to point & hit into a quite small gfx frame. Unfortuantely "arrow-keys + space-key" are not an option here.
[close]

In case the game would not contain these 3 tiny issues, I would have rated it 100/100 points... (roll)
Again, Thank you for 3 days of great adventure game fun. To me, it seems like you worked a 100 times longer doing it...

Thank you for your generous rating of my game (I hope you will rate it on the games page!) I hope the small 'niggles' did not spoil your enjoyment too much.
Regarding your comments:
You are not alone in complaining about having to go back to collect information once you get into the tower.  I plead guilty to making a game for players who - like me - tend to work through a game with a pencil and paper at their side, making notes of anything that looks significant.  I did ensure that the player could not get stuck on the final section needing an item he had missed picking up.  I assumed that most player would have previously saved games they could nip back to for a look at something they'd seen earlier but not noted down.
The Retro Digital Cannon..
Spoiler
I did consider making the keyboard available for this part, but I really did want the game to be keyboard controlled only (having to switch to the keyboard part way through a mouse controlled game is a personal bugbear. Sorry!) Besides, destroying all the totems is not critical to completing the game - you can even get an 'Excellent' rating without destroying all of them.  It is possible to get 100% score using the mouse - I have done it a couple of times and I'm no great shakes on this type of game!
[close]
The timing on the whole end section may be a little tight.  A number of players have raised this criticism and I intend to address it in version 2 of the game, which I am currently working on.  This will include a number of additions and modification made in response to comments from players such as yourself.  Thank you for your feedback.

StormyFae

Loving the game so far.

Had a couple of problems but finally worked them out. Never would have figured out the middle Earth code without this thread!

Stuck near the end.

Spoiler
I'm stuck at the control room. I am missing one silver battery thing. I don't remember where all I found them. Is there a list of locations for them so I don't have to go do the whole game again looking for them?
[close]

Thanks for a great game!
Stormy

elentgirl

Quote from: StormyFae on Tue 16/07/2013 22:58:04
Stuck near the end.

Spoiler
I'm stuck at the control room. I am missing one silver battery thing. I don't remember where all I found them. Is there a list of locations for them so I don't have to go do the whole game again looking for them?
[close]

Collecting the last object..
Spoiler
If you return to the anteroom where you had to put the globes into the 'dial', there is a map of the island with six lights showing the approximate locations of the silver objects.  When Annie picks each one up that light goes out, so look for the glowing red light.  That will tell you which area you need to search for the last object.
[close]
If you still can't find it, let me know which section it is in and I'll give you the precise location.
Good luck,
Elen

StormyFae

Oh got it. Was wondering what those things signified.

Finally finished. Very excellent game overall. I absolutely loved loved loved the Middle Earth part. I love runes.
And if I'm not mistaken:
Spoiler
They are the actual runes used by Tolkien in The Hobbit aren't they?
[close]
I loved that part almost as much as I hated the shooter in the end. But once I realized that
Spoiler
You don't hzve to shoot them all
[close]
it was OK.

Very enjoyable game. Hope to see more from you!

elentgirl

Quote from: StormyFae on Thu 18/07/2013 01:11:56
Finally finished. Very excellent game overall.
I'm really glad you enjoyed the game, and sorry you didn't like the Space Invader clone - I've tried to include something for everyone!  I was wondering whether you would consider rating my game on the AGS games page as a guide for other potential players, and maybe even add a brief comment?
Quote from: StormyFae on Thu 18/07/2013 01:11:56
I absolutely loved loved loved the Middle Earth part. I love runes.
And if I'm not mistaken:
Spoiler
They are the actual runes used by Tolkien in The Hobbit aren't they?
[close]
The runes used for the Dwarf Vault were actually adapted from a book I have of runes and other old signs (very useful for this type of game!)  Maybe Tolkien used a similar source for his.  What you may have noticed is that I used the runes from around the entrance to the Mines of Moria on the top of the stargate leading to Middle Earth.  The game is full of such allusions.
Elen

sthomannch

Beautiful game! Congratulations.
With a bit of persistence, I finally got to the control room. Needed help from this thread for
Spoiler

door to control room (sounds) and spell book. It was not so obvious to me how to cast spells
[close]
But now, I am stuck at the end
Spoiler

In the control room, what do I do with the monitor left of the cannon? I know how to start the destruction mechanism, played space invaders (100%) and I think that I solved the puzzle to the far left. At least, after opening a way from left to right, the hand cursor vanishes.
[close]
Ooo, perhaps these "lamp posts" at the forks with the www link on them...

That was it, now for the tight timing...

elentgirl

Quote from: sthomannch on Fri 19/07/2013 22:29:28
But now, I am stuck at the end
Spoiler

In the control room, what do I do with the monitor left of the cannon? I know how to start the destruction mechanism, played space invaders (100%) and I think that I solved the puzzle to the far left. At least, after opening a way from left to right, the hand cursor vanishes.
[close]
Ooo, perhaps these "lamp posts" at the forks with the www link on them...
You are on the right track...
Spoiler
the colours at top and bottom of the Actualiser control panel tell you which number goes where.  When you completed the cell door puzzle, Annie should have gone to the phone and directed the scientists to the Transfer Bay.
[close]

SolemnGong

Hello. I'm having some trouble with the hedge maze. First-person adventure games really aren't my thing at all, and I'm not too fond of mazes, but I've loved everything else in the game so far, and I'd really like to finish it.

Spoiler
I found both hourglasses, and I know that I need to turn the hourglass at the start of the maze and then run to the second hourglass. The problem is that I can never make it to the second hourglass in time. It always takes me at least 45 seconds to get to the second hourglass when I should be getting there in less than 30 seconds. What is the best way to get to the second hourglass? Here is the path I've been taking: after going around the tree and past Jack's note, I go left, straight, right, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, right, straight, left, straight, left, straight.
[close]

elentgirl

Quote from: SolemnGong on Sat 20/07/2013 05:41:32
Hello. I'm having some trouble with the hedge maze. First-person adventure games really aren't my thing at all, and I'm not too fond of mazes, but I've loved everything else in the game so far, and I'd really like to finish it.

Spoiler
I found both hourglasses, and I know that I need to turn the hourglass at the start of the maze and then run to the second hourglass. The problem is that I can never make it to the second hourglass in time. It always takes me at least 45 seconds to get to the second hourglass when I should be getting there in less than 30 seconds. What is the best way to get to the second hourglass? Here is the path I've been taking: after going around the tree and past Jack's note, I go left, straight, right, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, right, straight, left, straight, left, straight.
[close]
You have found the shortest path...
Spoiler
I realised when making the game that timed sections such as my maze can cause problems, so I built in a safety net.  That is what the text on the stone at the centre of the maze refers to: Robert the Bruce and the spider - try, try and try again.  If you make three attempts, the last attempt will work regardless of whether you do it in the allotted time, but you must not reload the game to do it, otherwise the program sees each attempt as the first one.
[close]
Good luck
Elen

SolemnGong

Hi Elen,

Thanks for the tip, but I'm still having trouble with this part.

Spoiler
I tried going from the first hourglass to the second hourglass four times without reloading, but I was still unable to click the second hourglass. Do I need to find the stone at the center of the maze first? I do not believe I have found the stone yet.
[close]

PpC

Quote from: splat44 on Sat 08/06/2013 16:02:41
Church area:
Spoiler
I know where I can the wooden key but thirst is never ending of that guy
[close]
Any hint of the above? I know I'm lots but due to difficulties of this game, I must!
Spoiler
Maybe you can make him drink something else ?
[close]

PpC

First of all: Thanks for the game !!!!
I am stuck in a couple of places where some help would be very good:
Spoiler
In the black dog mansion, I escaped from the attic and came back, there is a "hand" icon on the typewritter but when I click it nothing happens.
[close]
Spoiler
Entry code. Can't figure out what is VIC. I tried 2581, 2034, 2035 and 40. The plus sign means actually adding or appending ?
(found it in another posting  :-) )
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk