Adventure Island

Started by Michael2968, Mon 27/05/2013 15:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Wed 12/06/2013 10:58:47

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it another try shortly. I jumped into another section, and worked out the runic alphabet (yay) and the kings, getting both crystals in the process. But I can't work out the singing table. I know if all the crystals are pointed in a direction they "sing", but not sure which combo to use or where the clues are (as the board in the first room doesn't tell you much).

Well done for solving those two puzzles - I always thought they were the more difficult ones.  The singing table seems easier, to me at least.
HINT
Spoiler
There are two properties to the crystals on the table, one of which is the direction they are pointing.
[close]
FURTHER HINT if you still can't get it..
Spoiler
The other property is colour.  Try marrying the two.
[close]

splat44

Quote from: elentgirl on Wed 12/06/2013 13:56:22
Quote from: Uziel on Wed 12/06/2013 10:58:47

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it another try shortly. I jumped into another section, and worked out the runic alphabet (yay) and the kings, getting both crystals in the process. But I can't work out the singing table. I know if all the crystals are pointed in a direction they "sing", but not sure which combo to use or where the clues are (as the board in the first room doesn't tell you much).

Well done for solving those two puzzles - I always thought they were the more difficult ones.  The singing table seems easier, to me at least.
HINT
Spoiler
There are two properties to the crystals on the table, one of which is the direction they are pointing.
[close]
FURTHER HINT if you still can't get it..
Spoiler
The other property is colour.  Try marrying the two.
[close]

Same here I will try those weight later.

By the way Uziel, how you able work out runic alphabet (yay) and the kings?
I know runic alphabet has something to do with locked mechanism and Kings has something to with placement (but I cannot figure it by reading remain pieces of table. Even if I look at wall in kings area and comparing with missing pieces, the story hardly fits.

About crystals table:
Spoiler
I'm not sure about directions(pointers) and colors. What do you mean by marrying the two? I also notice that when looking at table first time, top crystal properties are "pointing down" and "red", when changing all other crystals properties then when turn top crystal completely as it was before, it doesn't land on same color as it was. This is confusing. I first though color settings on crystals it might something to with colors on table's circular, if it is then I can't see connection. Any hint
[close]

Uziel

Quote from: splat44 on Wed 12/06/2013 19:26:28
By the way Uziel, how you able work out runic alphabet (yay) and the kings? I know runic alphabet has something to do with locked mechanism and Kings has something to with placement (but I cannot figure it by reading remain pieces of table. Even if I look at wall in kings area and comparing with missing pieces, the story hardly fits.

The way I worked out the Kings:
Spoiler
I remembered the tablet describing some of the kings in the first office, so wrote down the names of the kings in order, then mapped out the ones listed in the tablet which were obvious.
[close]

Answer: (if you really want it):
Spoiler
The tablets tell you that Thirgold was the last of the kings (thus it must have been Thirgold II who was the ninth), and that Aberarch was his grandfather, thus being the seventh king. We also learn in the tablets that there was only one king who was a man of learning known as the Peacemaker, who never faced a war. It made sense instantly that the only statue without a sword and holding a book was this man, thus Siegweldt was the Peacemaker, and we also learnt that Thirgold was his father. Lastly we learnt that Barrodir was the father of the Bold, and I honestly guessed on who the Bold was (since it could only be Fangred I, II or III at this point - as with all those clues, only Fangred IV could logically slot in as the 8th king), and went with the bloke with the large sword & no shield (showing he was bold in having no obvious defense) - Fangred II. With that settled, I slotted in the Fangreds' and Barrodir in the only sequence that made sense, since Aberarch, Fangred IV and Thirgold II were in fixed positions now. This resulted in the order of: Fangred I, Barrodir, Fangred II, Thirgold I, Siegweldt, Fangred III, Aberarch, Fangred IV, Thirgold II.
[close]

The way I worked out the runic alphabet:
Spoiler
I realised straight away that the tablet referencing the seven dwarfs was instantly a clue to the letters. Then based on the numbers of runes, I sussed that the 3 letter one was Doc, given the runes matched up for Dopey. Then on translating those, I had over half of the runic alphabet. Then on translating the tablet back in the first office, you could fill in the blanks to map out the entire alphabet (except for Q), which also subsequently gave you the instructions to open the vault.
[close]

elentgirl: Funny isn't it. I nailed both those puzzles in a matter of minutes... yet struggled with the singing table. We all have our strengths! This really is a fabulously detailed game. I'm so glad I re-downloaded the latest version to get through that earlier glitch. This is the best AGS game I've ever played.

elentgirl

About crystals table:
Spoiler
I'm not sure about directions(pointers) and colors. What do you mean by marrying the two? I also notice that when looking at table first time, top crystal properties are "pointing down" and "red", when changing all other crystals properties then when turn top crystal completely as it was before, it doesn't land on same color as it was. This is confusing. I first though color settings on crystals it might something to with colors on table's circular, if it is then I can't see connection. Any hint
[close]

HINT/SPOILER
Spoiler
What I mean about marrying direction and colour is: the crystal sing when they all point in one direction, so maybe all being the same is important.  What happens if they are all the same colour (nothing if they are pointing in all different directions).  But suppose they are all pointing the same way AND all the same colour?
As you turn each crystal the colour changes.  On most, the colours cycle through a selection that means they can be any colour in any direction, but one key crystal always has the same colour when pointing in each direction
[close]

Quote from: Uziel on Thu 13/06/2013 10:04:45
This really is a fabulously detailed game. I'm so glad I re-downloaded the latest version to get through that earlier glitch. This is the best AGS game I've ever played.

Thank you for your comments.  I'm really pleased you are enjoying the game.  I hope that when you have completed it you will rate it on the AGS Games page and maybe write a nice comment to encourage others to try it (unless you have changed your mind about it by then!)

splat44

Quote from: elentgirl on Thu 13/06/2013 11:24:57
About crystals table:
Spoiler
[close]

HINT/SPOILER
Spoiler
What I mean about marrying direction and colour is: the crystal sing when they all point in one direction, so maybe all being the same is important.  What happens if they are all the same colour (nothing if they are pointing in all different directions).  But suppose they are all pointing the same way AND all the same colour?
As you turn each crystal the colour changes.  On most, the colours cycle through a selection that means they can be any colour in any direction, but one key crystal always has the same colour when pointing in each direction
[close]

Quote from: Uziel on Thu 13/06/2013 10:04:45
This really is a fabulously detailed game. I'm so glad I re-downloaded the latest version to get through that earlier glitch. This is the best AGS game I've ever played.

Thank you for your comments.  I'm really pleased you are enjoying the game.  I hope that when you have completed it you will rate it on the AGS Games page and maybe write a nice comment to encourage others to try it (unless you have changed your mind about it by then!)

Thanks Uziel and Elentgirl, I finally completed this area!

Crystal table:
Spoiler
ya! the trick is having all the same direction including same color. I did managed having all crystals green!
I think we need to refer color on table circular to figure the next color of next crystal. See below for example:
Start top crystal, point crystal downward, note the color. If color is green then the would be yellor or blue on next crystal.
Is this correct elentgirl? If not then I'm sure Uziel would certainly like a spoiler at this point
[close]

Based on following image, the bridge area is impossible solving, can you post an image indicating the number of moves here:?
Spoiler
[close]

Shadow1000

Not impossible...

SHADOW

Uziel

splat44: In regards to your crystal table theory, I didn't find there was too much order/structure in the way the colors appeared. It seemed fairly random to me.. I just kept turning crystals till they were in the right colour and gave me the gem. Nice to complete the area nonetheless, and move onto another one. :)

splat44

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 14/06/2013 04:15:07
Not impossible...

SHADOW

I know I need turning bridge vertical based on screenshot I previously provided, any hint where I should start?

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Thu 13/06/2013 23:12:06
Crystal table:
Spoiler
ya! the trick is having all the same direction including same color. I did managed having all crystals green!
I think we need to refer color on table circular to figure the next color of next crystal. See below for example:
Start top crystal, point crystal downward, note the color. If color is green then the would be yellor or blue on next crystal.
Is this correct elentgirl? If not then I'm sure Uziel would certainly like a spoiler at this point
[close]

Your assumptions above are partly correct...
SPOILER
Spoiler
All the crystals need to be pointing the same way in the same colour.  Each crystal has a sequence of five colours that it cycles through as you turn it, so that it presents a different colour for each direction in a repeating cycle.  As there are six colours used altogether, there are some crystals that do not ever present one of the six possible colours.  The key to the puzzle is the centre crystal which has a sequence of only four colours, so that it always shows the same colour for the same direction.  There is only one colour that appears on every crystal, and the centre crystal gives you the needed direction for that colour.
[close]
It's a puzzle you have to solve by trial and error until you get it right.

Quote from: splat44 on Fri 14/06/2013 08:18:56
I know I need turning bridge vertical based on screenshot I previously provided, any hint where I should start?

HINT/SPOILER
Spoiler

This is a difficult puzzle, I admit, but not impossible to crack.  I know that a few player have got past it without a spoiler.  If you really can't work it our, I have posted a screenshot on line with the numbers 1-6 on the buttons(https://www.box.com/s/rid0c70yv3r0uulm49co).  If you press those buttons in that order you should end up with the correct pattern.  You then press the red button to turn the bridge
[close]
I hope that helps.

splat44

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 12:45:28
Quote from: splat44 on Thu 13/06/2013 23:12:06
Crystal table:
Spoiler
[close]

Your assumptions above are partly correct...
SPOILER
Spoiler
All the crystals need to be pointing the same way in the same colour.  Each crystal has a sequence of five colours that it cycles through as you turn it, so that it presents a different colour for each direction in a repeating cycle.  As there are six colours used altogether, there are some crystals that do not ever present one of the six possible colours.  The key to the puzzle is the centre crystal which has a sequence of only four colours, so that it always shows the same colour for the same direction.  There is only one colour that appears on every crystal, and the centre crystal gives you the needed direction for that colour.
[close]
It's a puzzle you have to solve by trial and error until you get it right.

Quote from: splat44 on Fri 14/06/2013 08:18:56

HINT/SPOILER
Spoiler

This is a difficult puzzle, I admit, but not impossible to crack.  I know that a few player have got past it without a spoiler.  If you really can't work it our, I have posted a screenshot on line with the numbers 1-6 on the buttons(https://www.box.com/s/rid0c70yv3r0uulm49co).  If you press those buttons in that order you should end up with the correct pattern.  You then press the red button to turn the bridge
[close]
I hope that helps.

I appreciate you provided the bridge answer.
Regarding screenshot I submitted seems miss leading, we see some areas where are darken, I assumed those darken area were the ones that needed being highlighted. I suggest being careful.

shapes changing area:
Spoiler
I came across a clue showing series of shapes, I first though it has something to do in getting blue sphere (building with many door).
I came across area where we can replace shapes except first colum, I first thought we need replacing shapes according to buttons placement (see below)
Since first shape is "square" and the next one would be "circle" but it appears this isn't the answer. Based on clue I found after turning the bridge, what pattern I need following?
[close]

Weight area (atlantis)
Spoiler
I am trying all possible combinations but still without success.
I also though this isn't based on weight but based on images shown on weight.
If we exit this room, we see an image(top of entrance) which resemble one of the weight including images shown just before entering (elevator and blue phone booth) rooms.
So I tried using weight based on those images and still no success. I know we don't need using all weights as you previously said.
So what the pattern I need using?
I know there a clue with blue phone but I can't have access to it yet. If we're supposed using artifact scan before solving weight then bug still happen as I previously reported.
[close]

Uziel

Weight area (atlantis) (spoiler)
Spoiler
Don't use the larger/heaviest weight. I found by writing down the weights and then estimating their comparative weights based on a bit of testing, it was pretty easy work out which was heavier than which, and which combination would result in a balanced scale. Couldn't believe I was even stumped on this!
[close]

splat44

Quote from: Uziel on Sat 15/06/2013 05:43:38
Weight area (atlantis) (spoiler)
Spoiler
Don't use the larger/heaviest weight. I found by writing down the weights and then estimating their comparative weights based on a bit of testing, it was pretty easy work out which was heavier than which, and which combination would result in a balanced scale. Couldn't believe I was even stumped on this!
[close]

Four globes down, another four (I think) to go. :)
Still stuck on Mysterium right now!

Shape-changing area:
Spoiler
I suspect we need to find all four shape clues. I've found two so far, and I think a third. The first was on the window when crossing back over the bridge. The second was on the wall when the second lift was lowered. The third (I think it's linked to this) is depicted on the lower frame of the painting in the entry area of the Mysterium. I thought the fourth might be in the book of symbols... but none of the circle ones in there work....
[close]

Very much appreciate towards the weight area! I though I didn't used the larger/heaviest before! Thanks goodness this is solved!

I will double check the shapes though! So you're stuck in Mysterium? Let me know how I can help!

Uziel

Quote from: splat44 on Sat 15/06/2013 06:55:05I will double check the shapes though! So you're stuck in Mysterium? Let me know how I can help!

Ha! Just found the last Mysterium shape clue. Ingenious place to place it Elen! :)
Mysterium is all done.

Three places I'm still stuck:
1. In Fantasia. Struggling to work out how to start the Chromatron. I've read the book, realise that I need to do the sigil... but can't work out where. Do I draw it by hand, with the wand or something else?

2. Hedge Maze: Found the strange silver object (5 now?), and made it to the second hourglass. is there a time limit to reach here in time so the sands haven't run out? Can't work out what else to do.

3. Black Dog Manor: I've escaped the attic, and have the note. Nothing else though. The area feels done.. but no coloured globe? I've searched everywhere for hotspots... and nada. Even went back to the office (central part of the island), and nothing there either...

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Sat 15/06/2013 08:17:57
1. In Fantasia. Struggling to work out how to start the Chromatron. I've read the book, realise that I need to do the sigil... but can't work out where. Do I draw it by hand, with the wand or something else?
Spoiler
You don't need to draw the sigil, it already exists in the book. All you need to do is charge it with your wand.
[close]
2. Hedge Maze: Found the strange silver object (5 now?), and made it to the second hourglass. is there a time limit to reach here in time so the sands haven't run out? Can't work out what else to do.
Spoiler
Yes, that's what the the hourglasses are for.  But don't worry if you find it too hard - just keep trying.  Your patience will be rewarded.
[close]
3. Black Dog Manor: I've escaped the attic, and have the note. Nothing else though. The area feels done.. but no coloured globe? I've searched everywhere for hotspots... and nada. Even went back to the office (central part of the island), and nothing there either...
Spoiler
There is something more in the office. This part of the game is based upon the detective genre, so think detective looking for a secret hiding place.
[close]
I hope one of these hints will get you moving again.

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Sat 15/06/2013 12:15:25
Spoiler
There is something more in the office. This part of the game is based upon the detective genre, so think detective looking for a secret hiding place.
[close]

Hmm... I thought I was clever finding the
Spoiler
part of the amulet
[close]
in it's hiding place. Didn't think there'd be something else hidden away. Should've known to check more thoroughly!

splat44

Quote from: splat44 on Sat 15/06/2013 06:55:05I will double check the shapes though! So you're stuck in Mysterium? Let me know how I can help!

Ha! Just found the last Mysterium shape clue. Ingenious place to place it Elen! :)
Mysterium is all done.

Did managed with changing shapes? I'm still stuck at it!
Were only 3 clues you provided help with shapes changing?
If so, I don't the order including throw switches on left side!

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Sat 15/06/2013 18:06:42
Did managed with changing shapes? I'm still stuck at it!

Uziel told you where he found three of the clues...
Quote from: Uziel on Sat 15/06/2013 05:43:38
Shape-changing area:
Spoiler
I suspect we need to find all four shape clues. I've found two so far, and I think a third. The first was on the window when crossing back over the bridge. The second was on the wall when the second lift was lowered. The third (I think it's linked to this) is depicted on the lower frame of the painting in the entry area of the Mysterium. I thought the fourth might be in the book of symbols... but none of the circle ones in there work....
[close]
I thought the last one was the easiest to find..
Spoiler
The writing on the wall in the hut tells you to look behind.  What is the most obvious thing there to look behind?
[close]

Uziel

Apologise elen! I hate asking for so many hints!
Thanks for your hints on Fantasia too and the maze too. All completed. :)

Black Dog - Office: I've searched high and low, and other than where I found the second half of the amulet, I can't find anywhere else for the globe. Help?

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Sat 15/06/2013 22:18:41
Apologise elen! I hate asking for so many hints!
Thanks for your hints on Fantasia too and the maze too. All completed. :)

Black Dog - Office: I've searched high and low, and other than where I found the second half of the amulet, I can't find anywhere else for the globe. Help?

Please don't apologise - I enjoy following your progress and helping a little where I can. You are also helping me find out which puzzles are the hardest for people.  I might issue version 2 of the game with extra hints included for these.

In the Black Dog office..
HINT
Spoiler
there is a nice picture of the manor house that a close examination of might bring a reward
[close]
SPOILER
Spoiler
about a third of the way up the left hand side of the picture frame you will find a small hotspot for a hidden catch
[close]

Uziel

lol, I can't believe I missed that. I scoured the office looking for hotspots, and went over that 10 times.

One last question (possibly?) on the globes:
Spoiler
Firsty I assumed (thinking I was clever), that the colours correlated to the order of the colours at the base of the three number signposts around the island. Does the map in the globe room hint as to the order of the globes? I've mapped out the globes in the "map" order, and no dice. Also tried to do the colors outside, only realising that not all colours are shown, some of duplicated. Then thought about the pillars outside the room, but the colours don't seem to be in an obvious pattern.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk