MAGS May "Forgotten History" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/05/2020 09:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS May?

We'll Meet Again
2 (28.6%)
Day of the Dimetrodon
0 (0%)
Pride & Relatives
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Tue 16/06/2020 17:08:44

Slasher

Aww  Blondbraid.....  If anyone can you can ;)

Looking forward to something from you  (nod)

Stupot

@Blondbraid - if you need a couple of days extension that could be arranged. :-)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 29/05/2020 10:04:48
@Blondbraid - if you need a couple of days extension that could be arranged. :-)
Thanks, though I'm worried extra time would just make me work slower.  I feel like my relation to working with deadlines is a lot like that animal in Harry Potter that magically changed size to fit any space, and putting it in a bigger room didn't give it more room to move because it just expanded until it had filled up the whole room anyway. :-\

Anyways, I found a pretty fun image while doing some research for my entry!

Slasher

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 29/05/2020 10:17:37
Quote from: Stupot on Fri 29/05/2020 10:04:48
Thanks, though I'm worried extra time would just make me work slower.  I feel like my relation to working with deadlines is a lot like that animal in Harry Potter that magically changed size to fit any space, and putting it in a bigger room didn't give it more room to move because it just expanded until it had filled up the whole room anyway. :-\
5c/s1280x1920/41e0d017bc756b15715caa4a27043f91d2f7ecb5.jpg[/img]
You're right, with a time limit you have to adjust your time management...and I mean, you can't change the rules just because they don't suit you, and it is supposed to be a within a month competition after all..

I understand some can't spend as much time as they would like due to real life... I myself work quite slow but I work twice as hard as most..

It's not all about winning, nice as it is, it's about competing and producing a playable game with other like minded people.

I love your graphical idea Blondbraid and I hope you pull though with a game ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 30/05/2020 07:02:36
I love your graphical idea Blondbraid and I hope you pull though with a game ;)
Aw, thanks a lot!  :)
I've just released my entry, Day of the Dimetrodon, a short little game about a day in the life of a Dimetrodon who's been out searching for food,
and while it's not anything ambitious, I hope somebody could learn at least something from it.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2450-day-of-the-dimetrodon/

Let me know your thoughts!

Slasher

Blondbraid.... That was a cute little game...short, but cute..

Nice graphics and story..

I found inventory window/icons a bit small, but that's just me...and the font size small, but that's just me... played full screen..

Fine game and before time's up and that's a thumb's up from me (nod)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 30/05/2020 17:10:39
Blondbraid.... That was a cute little game...short, but cute..

Nice graphics and story..

I found inventory window/icons a bit small, but that's just me...and the font size small, but that's just me... played full screen..

Fine game and before time's up and that's a thumb's up from me (nod)
Thanks, I'm so glad that you liked it!
And yeah, sorry for the icons being a bit small, I didn't want to make an entire new GUI and all so I stuck with the defaults, which were obviously not ment for a project with this big resulution.

Intense Degree

OK, I think I just made it inside the deadline.

The following is largely untested with half finished backgrounds probably loads of typos and missing interactions... but it is at least here!

Pride & Relatives

It is a truth universally acknowledged that, as a young lady, Jane Austen wrote Pride & Prejudice based on her own observations of polite society.

What is forgotten about this novel is how close it came to never being written at all...

Step up our forgotten Hero William [noLastNameYet]. Can he restore a young Jane's faith in humanity, including the humanity of her own siblings? Will the book Pride & Prejudice ever be written at all? This game is guaranteed to nearly answer some of those questions!

Get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zp3yptu9u9whyrg/Pride_%26_Relatives.7z/file]https://www.mediafire.com/file/zp3yptu9u9whyrg/Pride_%26_Relatives.7z/file
EDIT:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8hc5gt7auim19ah/Pride_%26_Relatives_1.1.7z/file for a bugfixed version.

OK, bedtime for me, but looking forward to playing your games Slasher & Blondbraid.

Stupot

Thanks to all the participants.

Time to Vote
Please vote using the poll above.

We'll Meet Again
by Slasher
Day of the Dimetrodon
by Blondbraid
Pride and Relatives
by IntenseDegree

As always. Please let me know if I've missed anything or made any mistakes.

Happy voting.

Intense Degree

Just to say I have uploaded a version with a couple of bugfixes - After the deadline. Post above updated and it's also here:https://www.mediafire.com/file/8hc5gt7auim19ah/Pride_%26_Relatives_1.1.7z/file

Thanks to Blur for finding those little 'Easter Eggs'. ;)

I should say one of them was to do with saving games. I think I have solved that problem, but if anyone has any errors saving please let me know.

Stupot

Blondbraid

Aw man, I missed the end of the vote by half an hour and my entry got zero votes!  :(

But congratulations to IntenseDegree at any rate, it was a nice game.

Stupot

The votes have been counted (which didn’t take long :tongue: ) and the winner is Pride and Relatives

Well done IntenseDegree. That’s two out of two wins. I’ll be in touch soon about choosing a topic for July.

Slasher

Well done Pride and Relatives by IntenseDegree  (nod)

See you in the next round  (laugh)

JackPutter

OH NO! I MISSED IT! I had a lot of unforeseen stuff come up in the last two weeks, I'm only now sitting down to vote and I see I've missed the deadline! Drat! Well, for what little good it does now, I'll leave my thoughts about each game here and maybe the game creators might get something out of it.

We'll Meet Again by Slasher
Spoiler
A lovely take on the theme! I really enjoyed the fact that it is a war setting but the game is more about the people fighting than the actual fighting itself. There was great atmosphere in the trench, I particularly liked the soldiers who were moving to and fro, going about their business. I was rooting for the boys to not have to go over the top! The puzzles weren't too difficult, and I got through to the end without getting stuck. The graphical style is pure Slasher, which I think has a lovely charm to it! The story comes to a nice conclusion, and overall I really enjoyed this game. I have two minor pieces of criticism. The first is that it was a little repetitive (I think more than half of the soldiers had a girlfriend who said they'd wait for him) and the second is that it seemed like the Major character was a bit out of place... All the other characters are dealing with the horrors of war, missing their families, we even see one soldier blown to pieces... then the major starts talking about pajamas with pink elephants? I understand that the higher-ups are not taking it seriously and that the grunts are the ones actually fighting, but to make the higher-up such a clown felt a little off to me. This was minor though, and didn't spoil anything for me. Well done!
[close]

Day of the Dimetrodon by Blondbraid
Spoiler
A wonderful piece of edutainment! This is the first game I've played since Jurassic Park: The Lost World on the PS1 where I got to play as a dinosaur, and I had a great big had a goofy smile on my face the whole way through playing this one! I think it definitely matches the theme well, this is an era of (pre)history that is often forgotten for sure! I thought the character designs were adorable, just from looking alone I wanted to make sure that little dino made it home. It was a lovely reveal at the end to see that I was helping her bring food home for her babies! The graphics were delightful, and I loved the subtle little touches like the trees in the foreground scrolling appropriately as the camera moved. The puzzles weren't difficult, but I had to actually think like a dinosaur to solve the first one which I thought was really neat! I also liked learning a little something at the end, it was nice reward after the adventure. The only real criticism I have is that it is lacking a little in content, I would have loved to experience more of a journey and have a little more polish throughout. Overall this was a really fun, short, cute game, and if I had been on time to vote I would have given my vote to this one. It just made me feel happy!
[close]

Pride and Relatives by Intense Degree
Spoiler
This was a very well done piece, I had a great time talking to all of the characters and finding out so much about the family. It handled the theme really well, I definitely felt like I was getting a glimpse behind the scenes of a historical figure. I liked the way new conversation topics opened up as I explored the house and gardens. I thought the graphics were great, I really like the character style and the environments. The puzzles were pretty self explanatory but I enjoyed the way they unraveled. I would have loved to explore more of the house, perhaps visit the siblings' rooms and so forth, but I understand that time was tight and you already managed to cram a lot in! It was very dialogue heavy but each conversation revealed something new and progressed things forwards, so I never felt like I was reading filler content. Overall I thought this was a solid entry, maybe just missing a few little extra elements to make it really feel like a fully rounded game. (I would have loved an end screen featuring Jane at the high society event!)
[close]

So there are my mini-reviews for what it's worth. Well done to everyone who took part this month, even though there was only 3 entries I think the standard was really high! And congratulations to Intense Degree on the win, too!

Intense Degree

Hey, well done all and thanks to all those who played and voted. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk