MAGS March "Size Matters" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/03/2017 00:00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game for MAGS March?

The Snaplock by Blondbraid
4 (40%)
The Smallest Points by Mandle
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Mon 17/04/2017 01:25:22

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

Well done Mandle. Victory is yours! You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for May.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Click on the game title to download.

Topic: Size Matters
This month's guidelines were set by Selmiak, Emont and Creamy.

Size matters. And where it gets interesting is the difference in size.

So the theme for this months MAGS is:
Have the difference in size be a key element in the game.

No matter if in story or gameplay. From uneven twins to people looking in telescopes and microscopes and discovering or entering different sized worlds, the huge oppressive government against the small group of rebels that also grows in size or just the usual tiny aliens conquering a huge plant, everything goes.

Ending:  March 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Mandle

Ohhhhhh, a nice theme with so many possibilities... Tempting...

DBoyWheeler

This gives me the vibes of the Giant World in Super Mario 3.

Ponch

Finally! A chance to make that hentai game I've always wanted to make! :=

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 01/03/2017 02:17:15

I'd buy that for a dollar!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 01/03/2017 02:17:15
Naughty Ponch!  Tsk tsk!  (laugh)

Mandle

I'm in for this MAGS with a rather simple idea at the moment... but we will see where it leads...

It's a game about how the smallest points in a story can have a big impact on its meaning...

Riaise

That sounds like it could be really good, Mandle!

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Sat 04/03/2017 14:00:02
That sounds like it could be really good, Mandle!

Much work has been done today on my entry...

Erm... That didn't sound quite as dodgey while I was typing it...

Riaise

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 04/03/2017 14:52:42
Erm... That didn't sound quite as dodgey while I was typing it...

(laugh)

Mandle

I've done quite a bit on the game today and it's kinda coming together, despite being bugged, but in an informative way...

Erm... Is anyone else entering this round?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 08/03/2017 13:51:10
I've done quite a bit on the game today and it's kinda coming together, despite being bugged, but in an informative way...

Erm... Is anyone else entering this round?
Well, I've had this idea of a game where the climax is a young, scrawny resistance fighter armed with only an old musket is chased
by a large and heavily armored soldier across a snowy landscape
Spoiler
until the resistance fighter is caught running across a frozen lake, with no choice but to surrender. He throws away his gun to the soldier, only to send him crashing through the ice due to the extra weight...
[close]
I have been toying with the idea of making a game about Snapphanar.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 08/03/2017 16:18:12
Well, I've had this idea of a game where the climax is a young, scrawny resistance fighter armed with only an old musket is chased
by a large and heavily armored soldier across a snowy landscape
Spoiler
until the resistance fighter is caught running across a frozen lake, with no choice but to surrender. He throws away his gun to the soldier, only to send him crashing through the ice due to the extra weight...
[close]
Sounds similar to a story relating to my grandfather. No joke.
You should make it! (nod)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 09/03/2017 11:20:27
Sounds similar to a story relating to my grandfather. No joke.
You should make it! (nod)
Really? Now I'm curious about your grandfather's story.  8-0

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 09/03/2017 11:31:01
Really? Now I'm curious about your grandfather's story.  8-0
Well you asked, so I'll give you the gist of it.

Polish aristocrat who went to war in WW2.
He got caught several times, going to prisoner of war camps, and escaped every time, but also got caught every time. The first time he was caught was because he followed a train line, and the second time was because someone ratted him out.
The last concentration camp he went to was Siberia I think. He waited until the lake was just about to melt, and he made a run for it. Because he was a thin and lanky guy (and malnourished) and the ice was really thin, the soldiers couldn't chase him. Because just as soon as they started chasing after him, the ice began to break around them.
The reason he was able to make a run for it so easily, is because no one thought anyone would be dumb enough to ever try it, and as such the place wasn't as heavily guarded as the other camps he had been to.
He then fought in the war some more, went to Britain, got married and had kids, and then died several years later from tuberculosis.

Now I think I've derailed this thread enough. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Wow, that's an amazing story, Danvzare.
Have you thought about making a game about your grandfather?

Actually, I toyed with which setting to set my idea in, and at first I thought about having it set in
WW2, but then both my latest two games i worked on as well as the current one I'm making is
set in that period so I thought about having the story take place in a different time period for a change.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 09/03/2017 12:31:04
Wow, that's an amazing story, Danvzare.
Have you thought about making a game about your grandfather?
Not really, probably because my forte is more comical adventures. It would definitely make an awesome game though.
Who knows, maybe I might make it into a game one day. :)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 09/03/2017 12:31:04
Actually, I toyed with which setting to set my idea in, and at first I thought about having it set in
WW2, but then both my latest two games i worked on as well as the current one I'm making is
set in that period so I thought about having the story take place in a different time period for a change.
Ah, that makes sense. Great idea.
I hope you finish it, because I can't wait to see it. :-D

Stupot

Halfway there. How are the games coming along?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 15/03/2017 00:25:02

Mine is pretty much done, except for a lot of slog-work I don't have time for just now. But it will be finished probably next week or so, and then maybe I'll release it or maybe polish it up until the deadline...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 15/03/2017 03:13:08
Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 15/03/2017 00:25:02

Mine is pretty much done, except for a lot of slog-work I don't have time for just now. But it will be finished probably next week or so, and then maybe I'll release it or maybe polish it up until the deadline...
I was just planning on getting started today...

Blondbraid

I have started on my entry, a game about Snapphanar,
which were guerrilla fighters on the Danish side in the Scanian war, which was fought between Denmark and Sweden in the 1670s.
The Swedish forces however, made no difference between danish guerrilla fighters and highwaymen, and severely punished anyone caught.
They made a movie about them in 1941 if anyone is curious!:)

I have made some animations for the protagonist, and I'm trying to make it stylized
so that it looks like an old woodcut while also reminding of Swedish allmoge-art.

Danvzare

Awesome, is that the idle animation?
If so, this is going to be one beautiful looking game.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 18/03/2017 11:08:06
Awesome, is that the idle animation?
If so, this is going to be one beautiful looking game.
Thanks! I'm going for rather stylized backgrounds,
hoping to make it look like a traditional tapestry.
A screenshot from my game:

Some examples of the type of art I've used as inspiration:

Riaise

That looks fantastic, Blondbraid! I can absolutely see the inspiration, but it still retains your own style. ;-D

Blondbraid

Quote from: Riaise on Sun 19/03/2017 13:11:33
That looks fantastic, Blondbraid! I can absolutely see the inspiration, but it still retains your own style. ;-D
Thank you Riaise!
Here is a screenshot for the intro of my game:

The borders of Denmark and Sweden was a bit different back then, so I thought it might be a good idea to include a map for players unfamiliar with Scandinavian history.

Anyway, I'm working on my entry, and I think Mandle mentioned making one too, is there anyone else working on something this month?

Mandle

My entry is still paused where it was. I have been busy in every spare moment with working on the upcoming commercial release of Chronicle Of Innsmouth.

But I do have about a week off from work starting on Tuesday so I should be able to get that wrapped up and finish my MAGS entry as well I'd say.

Mandle

Any chance of 2 day extension over the weekend?

I've just been too busy working on Chronicles Of Innsmouth, an amazing Lovecraftian AGS game that is in crunch time for its commercial release, to find the time for the last slog-work on the coding for my entry...

But an extra two days would do it, and also I would have to do it because I asked for the extension... Double-punch!

Creamy

QuoteDouble-punch!
Speaking of which, where is the promised hentai game  :=

Mandle

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 30/03/2017 10:58:10
QuoteDouble-punch!
Speaking of which, where is the promised hentai game  :=

Well, Chronicles Of Innsmouth has a tentacle monster that I am animating as we speak... Does that count?

Stupot

two day extension suits me.
I'll still start April contest as normal but the deadline for March is 23:59 BST Sunday Night

Slasher

Quotea tentacled monster 8-0
Squidly Diddly (laugh)

Mandle

Cheers Stu!

(And congratulations again in case you missed it in FB)

Blondbraid

I'm suprised Slasher haven't made anything this time around, though it's still time left... :-D
Anyways, my entry is basically done and can be played from start to finish, but I just want to
look everything through a bit more in case I've missed something. Hopefully I'll have it out tomorrow.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 31/03/2017 12:47:09
I'm suprised Slasher haven't made anything this time around, though it's still time left... :-D
Well he's certainly quick enough to be able to make a brilliant game within the time that's left.

Slasher

QuoteWell he's certainly quick enough to be able to make a brilliant game within the time that's left.
I could but I am reserving and revitalizing my energy with 3 other games on the go.. Maybe the next one (laugh)

Mandle

I got a ton of work done on the game tonight, including about 3 hours of just slogging over and over to get basic game mechanics in place. I'm sure there was an easier way, but I had already built the mechanics so I didn't want to throw the whole project into reverse at this point.

Tomorrow I will attempt to pull the whole thing together into a workable game, but no promises...

And no screenshots sorry.

What "The Smallest Points" actually is shall remain a mystery for now...

Blondbraid

Sounds interesting, best of luck to you Mandle!
My game is complete, but I'm currently having trouble adding it to the database. :(

Cassiebsg

You can just add the link and a screenshot here, and update the link to the db later once you managed to add it.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 01/04/2017 23:12:57
You can just add the link and a screenshot here, and update the link to the db later once you managed to add it.  (nod)
Since I still can't upload the game to the db for some reason, here is a link to download the game:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pyuypf1zg4p8o9u/The+Snaplock.zip

Slasher

Just played Snaplock
Spoiler

Fun game and I just had to laugh at the runs cycles (laugh)
Nice art style and story (ending choice 'cracked' me up (laugh))
Good MAG entry even though the game is short..
[close]
slasher

Mandle

THE  SMALLEST  POINTS

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME

The destiny of a towering future literary figure is at stake when Gloria writes a love letter to her sweetheart, John.
Can the smallest points save her from a mediocre life of drudgery married to this sop, and save her great writing talent for all the ages to enjoy?!

Mandle

Yeah...I also spent like 15 minutes filling out the Add Game form but it failed to be accepted :-\

But there's my entry in the post above. I hope it's enjoyable. It turned out to be a real rush to get it finished, and there may be bugs as I couldn't test it very much.

But I believe it's playable from start to finish, and maybe tells a cute little story about Dear John letters...

Cassiebsg

Maybe there's a bug on the site? Worth reporting it, and let AGA take a look at it.

Blondbraid

Glad you liked my game slasher!

I liked Mandle's game, it was fun, clever and on point.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 02/04/2017 17:43:29
Maybe there's a bug on the site? Worth reporting it, and let AGA take a look at it.
Yeah, that might be a good idea. At first I thought it was some problem with my internet connection,
but if Mandle also have trouble adding the game... ???

Stupot

Two games are better than one.

Thanks for the entries, folks.

Mandle

I played The Snaplock today:

Spoiler

It was an interesting history lesson, and also an amazing artistic work, really bringing that kind of woodblock printing to life!

I felt that what it made up for in its good-looks and charm, it slightly lacked in gameplay. It felt a bit like interactive fiction, rather than a game, but I still really enjoyed it. I played it with a 4-year-old student and she had a great time screaming while I ran away from the bad guy. I only played once so I'm not sure if the escaping through the woods sequence is actually a maze puzzle or if it just ends after a certain number of screens. I just followed the bear tracks. So maybe there was more gameplay than I experienced.

As I had already read the story of the game in the author's post at the start of this thread, I guess I probably didn't feel the same thrill from the ending that I would have if I hadn't known. But the animation was still very satisfying to watch!

A great game, very pleasing on the eye, and with a nice twist at the end for those not in the know!

Needless to say, I voted for it ;)
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 03/04/2017 12:39:20
I played The Snaplock today:
Thanks, how fun that you liked it!
I was trying to create a maze puzzle, but since I didn't have much time to work on the game it became a
rather short maze and I never had time to test it on players other than myself.

It is a fixed maze, nothing randomized. I even drew a crude map while making it:
Spoiler
[close]

Cassiebsg

My experience/feelings/gameplay is about the same as Mandle's (minus the screaming 4 year old)....  :-D

I'm still playing Mandle's, so will have to wait on the voting.

Mandle

Stu... I've changed the link to go to the AGS page now that the Add Game function is fixed.

The new link is: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2141/

Could you please change the link in your post to this?

Cheers!

Stupot

Riaise

Well done to both Mandle and Blondbraid! This is a difficult vote, because both of the games are so different. I love the story and the artwork in The Snaplock, and the concept and moral behind The Smallest Points is really well done. Argh, I can't decide!

Slasher

The Smallest Points

Spoiler

The idea for this game (I once saw this on a Columbo episode) is quite well executed and I again brave Mandle for his attempt to go outside the normal. Whilst the game itself is quite moorish I would have liked a bit more info about completing it. The dot moving to position was fun and I had many attempts to complete the game.. Not yet I'm sad to say :(

The typewriter buttons could have been more visual, particularly the ones that did something (load, save etc).

All in all a fun little game that could be expanded as an intro to a full length game or within a full length game.
[close]
slasher

Stupot

Five more days to vote? We need more.
Where are all the lovely French voters?
;-)

Mandle

Stupot

Voting has finished and the winner is:

Well done Mandle. Victory is yours! You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for May.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Riaise

Congratulations, Mandle! And well done to Blondbraid, that was a close contest! ;-D

Blondbraid

Thanks, Riaise!
Also, congrats Mandle, you made a very fun and creative game!

Mandle

10 votes total?! Come on AGSers! That's a piss-poor showing of votes when there were only two games to even play!

Well, it hardly seems like a fair majority win on a 4-6 split...

I'm thinking to collaborate with Blondbraid on the next theme as it was basically a 50/50 split with the votes.

I'll PM you soon Blondbraid and we can discuss ideas!

Cassiebsg

I think you two should also join hands sometimes and do a MAGS together, as I think you would complement each other rather well.  ;)

Congrats Mandle and Blondbraid!  (nod)

Slasher

Well done Mandle (nod)

Yes, shame about lack of entries and voters (nod)

Oh well...

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 17/04/2017 16:21:10
10 votes total?! Come on AGSers! That's a piss-poor showing of votes when there were only two games to even play!
Unfortunately, that's about average. Since I've been hosting it had even been as low as 7.
I thought having the poll at the top might encourage a few more people but the only notable thing that seems to draw the extra voters is when there is a big collaborative French entry...

Peder 🚀

I think to increase voting we need to increase the interest in MAGS, and I don't think keeping it tied to the forum is the best case for this.

It's definitely something we should consider trying to do something about especially if AGS4 becomes anything (so far there seems to be multiple opportunities for it to be).
It'd be nice to see MAGS attract even more people to try AGS.

Stupot

Quote from: Peder on Sun 30/04/2017 20:28:32
I think to increase voting we need to increase the interest in MAGS, and I don't think keeping it tied to the forum is the best case for this.
I agree we need a boost of interest, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Do you mean like hosting it on Gamejolt or something?

Peder 🚀

Hosting on Gamejolt, not exactly, but making it much easier to enter/upload and vote, without having to be forced to have an account on the forums.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk