Death and Transfiguration

Started by Sluggo, Thu 17/06/2004 19:09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I *could* also learn Latin. Also, I *could* learn french and play Illusion. What is your point?

Supposedly, one shouldn't go out of his way to fully enjoy a game just because he's not at home in the game's chosen theme. Like Gabriel Knight 1, which is practically a lesson in Voodoo, allowing you to fully enjoy all the game's many nooks and crannies.

If the author of any given game, however, should decide to force the player to go out of his way and learn a bit of Latin, that's HIS choice - but I'd like to know about it. And I don't know which is which in this case. That's why I requested a translation. Should he answer no, I'll know where I stand, and THEN I'll go consult a dictionary.

EDIT - I just re-read Sluggo's second post, which I'd somehow missed. So, Sluggo, you think translating it would make them lose some of their effect. Ok, I understand. In which case, allow me a suggestion - what about toggleable subtitles?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

earlwood

This is awesome Sluggo, It has great atmosphere and is really creepy. I supposed it would help if I knew latin, but I'm just going to wing it.

Sluggo

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

And redruM, you just committed suicide, would you really expect hell to have subtitles?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I just commited suicide??? Why didn't anybody warn me???

Anyway, point taken. I'll dig out a dictionary, then. If I have any. I certainly won't go and buy one specifically, but I may have one lying around, you never know...

Kneel. Now.

Barbarian

Hey redruM, a couple of Latin to English Dictionary links that might help ya (the 2nd link can also do English to Latin as well):

http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

http://www.24hourlatin.com/language/ldict.htm

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

Mblackwell

I speak a slight bit of french so I was able to pick up a tiny bit of the text, but the smal bit of speaking is lost on me, could you either post the text to it or post a translation?

Sluggo

Well, it's practically gibberish. I think all I really did was read the inscription next to the man with slurred speech.

wyr3x

Quote from: Sluggo on Mon 05/07/2004 07:35:38
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

And redruM, you just committed suicide, would you really expect hell to have subtitles?
Hey!, she committed suicide?, i don't think so.
some of us, the internet-users-with-no-sound-machine would like to know something like this, but if you still think this ....  :P
waiting for the AG of the century .....

Sluggo

wyr3x: I'm not sure I totally understand you, but the text doesn't say anything about suicide. It's all in the intro. Perhaps it's a little vague, but see the picture with the severed head?

Athirwen

Ok, this may seem a REALLY silly question... But how do I actually get into the game? It loads up, I get the pictures fade in and out, then the black screen with "death and transfiguration" in the top right hand corner, the fire underneath and the tombstone looking object to the left. All I can click on is the tombstone, and it just repeats the whole process. ??? Help.

Sluggo

Yeah, sorry, each word actually goes to different stuff. If you keep clicking on the top one (which is the replay intro button), it'll just go in circles. I think the second one down is the play button ('peragra' I think is the latin I used). 'exi' should exit the game also.

Athirwen

Thanks. I feel kinda silly asking, but it stopped me from enjoying all your hard work  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk