King's Quest III+ (call for testers)

Started by Radiant, Wed 28/07/2004 17:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxmaster

Quote from: dreammaster on Sun 15/08/2004 23:49:37
According to the symbols of the spell, after heating the mixture . . .

Oh, so the symbols tell you to heat the mixture?Ã,  Well, I hadn't figured out that part yet, nor do I have any charcoal to heat the mixture, so I'll have to look further to find those things.

I hope that in àŸ5 the Save Game feature will be fixed so that the last saved game doesn't keep getting deleted without notification.Ã,  I'm a Scrooge when it comes to saved games, gut I can't go back to the point I want to because the saved games keep getting deleted.
The Fluxmaster

dreammaster

Fluxmaster, Just remember that Radiant previously stated that although charcoal should be obtainable in Beta 4, it can't due to a bug preventing you. So unless you stuff your pockets, don't expect to get it. See my previous posting for all the other ingredients that can't be gotten in beta 4.

Hey Radiant, not to put any pressure on you, but how's beta 5 coming along?Ã,  ;D

Edwin Xie

What game is this? A story game or just free roaming?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

fluxmaster

It's a real game.  You can download the beta from a link on the first post of the first page of this thread.
The Fluxmaster

dreammaster

Better to download the latest beta at http://www.liacs.nl/~psimoons/kq3b4.zip rather than the original beta.

fluxmaster

Using "stuff pockets" to get the cookbook, I'm starting to figure out the meaning of the symbols.  There don't appear to be enough pages in the cookbook to decipher all the symbols, so I assume that the spells puzzles are not soluble as of yet.  Decoding the symbols is an interesting puzzle, though, and not too difficult.

BTW, Radiant updates the link to the beta download on the first page of this thread to point to the latest beta.  I think that it's easier to direct someone to the beginning of the thread to get to the download link, since it's always in the same place.
The Fluxmaster

Edwin Xie

Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

dreammaster

Edwinxie, the wizard will mostly zap you for having on your person any item which he considers to be dangerous to him, or that shows you've been disobeying him. This means pretty much anything expect the basic tools you find in the kitchen. One of the game's first puzzles, therefore, is to find a place to hide your contraband where the wizard won't find them.

Fluxmaster, the cookbook and the Principala Mathamatica give you all the information you need to be able to cast the spells. I didn't notice any extra symbols in the spellbook that weren't in the two of them.

Edwin Xie

The only things I have before I got zapped were anything I could grab in the kitchen and a scroll in the wastebasket of his private study.

Edwin Xie

dreammaster

The message from the bin is a contraband. It contains a key to casting magic, so naturally Manannan gets angry at you if he finds it on you.

Radiant

Fluxmaster -> is that the savegame deletion bug you mentioned earlier? Because I think I've got that fixed (in B5 that is).

Dreammaster -> there is actually one symbol in the spellbook [the last one] that isn't found anywhere else, but that shuold be easy to figure out :)  Oh and yes, the easter egg spells from other games will be back, only I figured there were too many of them and it confused players.

Currently moving to a new apartment, after that I'll have a beta-5 of sorts.

fluxmaster

Yes, the saved game deletion bug is the same one that I mentioned earlier; I simply repeated it because it is becoming more and more annoying.

Looking at the Principia Mathematica, if I make the assumption that the symbols there represent the first five natural numbers, then the equations are soluble, and all the symbols have been decoded.Ã,  But it still doesn't make complete sense because, looking at the "Brew a Mighty Storm" spell, I would have to heat the ocean water twice, then add five spoonfuls of mud.Ã,  I don't know what it would mean to heat something twice (is that like making refried beans?), and I only have one spoonful of mud to add.Ã,  Besides, even if I had five spoonfuls of mud, after I add the first spoonful the music stops, and the game tells me that something is wrong.
The Fluxmaster

dreammaster

fluxmaster, about the spells..

Spoiler
you're misinterpreting the signs. First of all, you're right in that the Principla Mathamatica can be solved using the first five natural numbers 1..5. However, when in a spell, they specify a particular ingredient number rather than the number of times to do something, and are used in conjunction with the standard symbols as specified in the cookbook.

So, for example, the Brewing a Storm spell reads:
Using Ingredient 3, add a pinch, add another pinch, using ingredient 1, add it all, heat, using ingredient 2, add a pinch, blow on it, stir it, stir it again, wave the wand.

Of course, as I said earlier, the spell fails when you try to add the mud, but this is how the spell reads visually, at least. I'm not sure where you got 5 from in your message; you may have mis-solved the Mathamatica document. It's fairly easy to solve once if you start off with the basis that all the values must be between 1 to 5.. the second equation x/y=y, or x=2y, only works with whole numbers when x=4 and y=2. Then it's easy to work out the other values.
[close]

fovmester

you can still hide text simply by writing [hide) bla bla [/hide). But exchange the ) for an ]. Like this:

Spoiler
bla bla
[close]

dreammaster

Fovmester, thanks for the heads up. I've gone back and updated my previous reply

fluxmaster

Of course, you're right; there's no 5 in that spell.  I was just in a hurry when I typed the message.  But I did misinterpret the symbols as you've said.
The Fluxmaster

Edwin Xie

how do you do the debugging features?

dreammaster

If you read the dialogs that appear when you start the game, you'll see a list of Ctrl combinations you can use for debugging.

the_dude

:=

Where'd you get the sprites? I was interested in using them for a game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk