The Night Falls - A Community Roleplaying Game

Started by WHAM, Mon 22/08/2022 20:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

> Ask her excitedly what kind of safe it is, a bit more calmly what riches she expects to find, and business-like what alarm systems this place is supposed to have.

You smile, unable to hide the growing sense of excitement as the thrill so familiar from your past surges in your heart. It was what you'd agreed to, after all, and also what you planned for and even equipped yourself so that you could travel light, move in the dark and get through locks and other mechanical obstacles. You inquire as to the nature of the safe and its potential contents, as well as the security inside. Shoshana flashes a grin in return, clearly sharing your enthusiasm.

"As long as we find the safe, there's no need to worry about that. See, the mayor had his issues, a few enemies, and I have some connections." She pulls out a slip of folded card. "The combination is right here. From what I gather the safe is probably somewhat hidden, maybe behind a painting, like in the movies. We should find plenty of cash and some nice jewelry that shouldn't be too difficult to hand off. Maybe some bonus surprises, too. I hear the guy was super weird so maybe he has like rare collectables or something, too!"

You nod and look around yourself. It doesn't seem as if the rain will let up, but at least having a familiar face with you seems to make the cold and dark less unpleasant.

"Oh, and the security: that should be all dealt with. There's a big ol' breaker box back there..." She gestures somewhere off to your right, behind the corner of the building, then to the toolbox beside her foot. "...and I took the liberty of disconnecting phone and power to the place so we can look around in peace. Though I don't think there really is an alarm system or anything. I don't think a ton of people know this place, since it's kind of isolated and... well, the guy didn't get a lot of visitors, apparently."

She pockets the folded piece of card again, then seems to pick up on your moment of hesitation.

"I know, I know. This feels kind of familiar to me, too, but it's not like back then. I'm not a dumb, noisy kid like that anymore! And sure, I know this all seems too good to be true, but I'm telling you, sis; I took all the precautions and did all the checks! Nobody will be here for days, maybe weeks! It's no different to going into a theme park haunted house or something, except we'll come out with enough cash to make up for all the time you lost!"

Shoshana, at least, seems incredibly excited and confident about all this.

> Check inventory

You absent-mindedly pat your pockets. You are carrying your multitool, a ballpoint pen, your keys, wallet and a map of the area. You are holding Shoshana's tire iron in your hand and wearing a headlamp on your head.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Utterly untrustworthy. Pending removal to memory hole.

Ian Aloser

> Examine door and lock
> Check contents of sister's toolbox
> Pick lock if it looks safe

heltenjon

:-D "Super weird"...I bet cutting the power has let loose some "collectibles" already!  ;)

Quote from: Ian Aloser on Fri 02/12/2022 16:16:08> Examine door and lock

+1

>ask sister about mayor's "super weirdness". Did he collect venomous snakes or anything like that?

Ian Aloser

"Super weird"...I bet cutting the power has let loose some "collectibles" already!
Or the corpses in the freezer slowly defrosting...
I guess we've seen too many horror movies :-)

mkennedy

+1 (see if it has anything your multitool lacks.)

>Ask her if she brought any rubber gloves so we don't end up leaving our fingerprints allover the place. After all we wouldn't want to go back to prison

WHAM

You crouch down to inspect the contents of your sister's toolbox.

"It's all the usual stuff I carry, pretty basic stuff. Surprisingly useful, though! I fixed up my car on the way since it had some issues!" She sounds pretty proud with herself.

The toolbox seems like a pretty standard fare, save for some smudges and oil stains. Wrenches, screwdrivers, a hefty hammer, some pliers. It's not as sleek as your multitool, but it'll deal with bigger problems. Your hands smell a bit of motor oil now that you've handled the toolbox.

> Examine door and lock

You step over to the door. The lock looks positively ancient to you, like it's from the 50's or 60's, scratched and weatherworn. It looks like easy pickings.

With a shrug you pull out your multitool and get to work. A bit of tension. A simple rake. In less than a minute the mechanism clicks open, and the door opens for you. It feels easy and natural, like old times, but better.

"Nice! See, this is why you're here. I'd have gotten the hammer out by now!" -Shoshana chimes over your shoulder before picking up her tools. "Let's head in. I wanna see what this place is like on the inside. Like, you noticed it's a tower and all, right? How cool is that!?"
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Utterly untrustworthy. Pending removal to memory hole.

lorenzo

> Turn on the headlamp, slightly open the door and shine some light in the room to see what's inside before entering.

Ian Aloser

>Ask her if she brought any rubber gloves so we don't end up leaving our fingerprints allover the place. After all we wouldn't want to go back to prison
+1
> Turn on the headlamp, slightly open the door (without leaving fingerprints) and shine some light in the room to see what's inside before entering.
+1

heltenjon

Quote from: Ian Aloser on Fri 09/12/2022 12:57:02>Ask her if she brought any rubber gloves so we don't end up leaving our fingerprints allover the place. After all we wouldn't want to go back to prison
+1
> Turn on the headlamp, slightly open the door (without leaving fingerprints) and shine some light in the room to see what's inside before entering.
+1
+1

>Say "Lead the way, sis."

Mandle

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 08/12/2022 15:14:19You step over to the door. The lock looks positively ancient to you, like it's from the 50's or 60's, scratched and weatherworn. It looks like easy pickings.

NICE ONE!!!  (laugh)

WHAM

> Ask her if she brought any rubber gloves so we don't end up leaving our fingerprints allover the place. After all we wouldn't want to go back to prison

You present your query, but gain only a slightly confused look from your sister. She glances at her toolbox and shrugs.

"Uhm- I got some gloves, but they're pretty oily now. Probably not great. Let's just not, you know, touch everything all the time. Besides, neither of us REALLY a full-blown local, and if this goes well we might be waaay far away before anyone even knows something is amiss!"

You shrug in turn and pocket your multitool, which you already used to pop the door slightly ajar. With a bump of your elbow you open the door further and peer inside, clicking on your headlamp. The inside looks rather dull and mundane. You see a rack with some shoes, something that looks like a big black ghost with a creepy top hat, but you're pretty sure it's just a coat rack and a fancy hat. There appear to be a pair of doors leading somewhere further inside.

"Well, we going in or do you want to stand here a bit more and listen to the rain?" -Shoshana asks, seemingly eager to get started with burglary.

You feel a kind of simple clarity in what's ahead. You will be committing a crime, sure. But just like back then, it's a relatively harmless crime. One your young and adventurous mind justified to yourself before, and one you seem to find irresistible even now.

What else for would you have prepared for this like so, after all? You have the skills, the tools of the trade. You're prepared for everything and anything that might await up ahead in that dark tower. And besides, if you're not here to keep an eye on Shoshana, she'll surely get herself in trouble without her big sister making sure she's all right in the end.

Mandle

> Walk straight in, your sister behind you, and shine your headlamp around to take in the full room, especially any further exits.

Ian Aloser

> Walk straight in, your sister behind you, and shine your headlamp around to take in the full room, especially any further exits.
+1
> Reminisce about the crime I committed back then

WHAM

-

You step through the door and leave behind the rain and then wind. Shoshana closes the door after you, further muffling the sounds of the weather, making it all feel distant. You can hear water droplets dripping off your raincoat and hitting the carpet below your feet as you stand in the entryway.

While you feel that familiar sense of excitement at being somewhere forbidden, past the locked door you never had a key for, you notice it also feels different this time. You broke into places before, sure, but you never really sought to steal anything specific. The aimless adventures of foolish youth have evolved into something that feels a little bit more sinister. The thrill is more intense. You notice the light and shadows around you moving as your sister seems barely able to contain her excited fidgeting.

"Oh wow, look at that HAT!" -Shoshana calls out enthusiastically aiming her flashlight at the coat rack.

The entryway appears to have two doors in addition to the one you entered through. Straight ahead of you is one, and another one sits to your left. Both doors appear to be closed.

Spoiler
Apologies for the art quality, folks. In order to minimize render time it seems we aren't currently rendering any shadows. The character creation phase of the game is complete. Feel free to explore and see what you find!
[close]

heltenjon

>Examine and search drawers and the small bowl or ashtray on top.
>Discuss directions and bearings with Shoshana...what door is likely the right way?

Ian Aloser

>Examine and search drawers and the small bowl or ashtray on top.
+1
>Discuss directions and bearings with Shoshana...what door is likely the right way?
+1
>Carefully check this weird hat /Cylinder
( Looks like the owner is a magician ,
at the worst, there's a rabbit or a pigeon inside )

mkennedy

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 19/12/2022 23:37:54>Discuss directions and bearings with Shoshana...what door is likely the right way?
Does the multitool have a compass?

Mandle

> Grab the hat off from the rack and put it on and then do a soft-shoe dance step to make your sister laugh

WHAM

> Discuss directions and bearings with Shoshana...what door is likely the right way?

You query your sister for a floorplan, or a plan in general, now that you two are inside.

"I don't know, to be honest. There's staird somewhere in here, likely going all the way to the top. It's not a massive building, though, so there can't be that many places to hide a safe, right?"

This does not inspire a great deal of confidence, but before you have time to continue the conversation Shoshana has already opened the door nearest to the way you came in.

"Stairs!" -she calls out before pausing for a second and turning away from the door again. "Those ones go down, though, not up. So... probably try the other door?"

> Examine and search drawers and the small bowl or ashtray on top.

You step over to the drawers and peer into them. The top drawer mostly contains scattered small items. A pair of leather gloves, some loose change, crumpled receipts and a few torn open envelopes and a case for a fancy pair of sunglasses.

The bottom drawer contains a pair of sandals that are far too big for you, as well as several pairs of folded woolly socks. There is also a bunch of wooden coat hangers like the one hanging on the wall above the drawers.

Atop the drawers is a fancy piece of white tablecloth and a black porcelain ashtray, though it appears clean and pristinely polished.

"I don't think the safe is going to be here, sis. Or are you looking for, like, a clue or something?" -Shoshana asks, trying to peer over your shoulder.

mkennedy

> Listen at the the other door to see if there's any noise coming from it then open it and take a peek at at what's on the other side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk