*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

heltenjon

I guess that's a logo that ought to be familiar, but... ???  Paw Patrol!

I'm torn between that woman who may be looking up and the possible Christmas ornament on the door of the older woman. Jurassic Park?

LimpingFish

Quote from: Gilbert on Fri 13/01/2023 05:29:56Okay then, I'll try the old strategy in this thread. :=

Robocop

If not, then:

Blade Runner

While the reasoning is sound, you just missed the mark. It's as iconic as those two, but...

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 13/01/2023 09:39:51I guess that's a logo that ought to be familiar, but... ???

The logo, taken out of context, isn't as instantly recognizable as the Jurassic Park logo, but if you do recognize it, it's a pretty big clue...

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 13/01/2023 06:07:09Die Hard?

No...Yes! It's Die Hard! ;-D

We think of Die Hard taking place almost entirely in an around the Nakatomi Plaza building (the logo in the last shot), but there's a number of scenes set at the McClane residence and at a TV studio. For the record, I had a couple of other shots prepared which may or may not have given the game away earlier...

Anyway, Sinitrena wins! :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Sinitrena

It was the logo that gave it away, though I was sure I had seen the movie after the first picture.

Next one:

Mandle

Sinitrena

Nope.

(Sorry, the scene is a bit dark and blurry. I promise, the next one will be clearer.)

LimpingFish

I think I know this one...maybe... :-\

I'll wait for a bit, though.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gilbert

Sinitrena

Snarky

Sinitrena

Snarky

Yeah, there was a certain Rutger Haurerishness about that last image... I haven't actually seen it; is it good? (I always think of Lady-Hawk and Lyndon-Bee Johnson from The Venture Bros.)

And was your hypothesis correct, @LimpingFish?

Staying with snowy mountains:

LimpingFish

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 16/01/2023 07:18:31And was your hypothesis correct, @LimpingFish?

It actually was. It was the first thing that popped into my head, simply because it was a hawk flying over some mountains, which happens a lot in that particular movie. Of course, maybe the hawk was incidental, and the snowy mountain was the main focus, so it could have been was movie primarily concerned with mountains (perhaps The Eiger Sanction).

Lesson to be learned: Always trust your first hunch. (nod)

Unless it's wrong.

Snarky

I expect this will give it away:

As a point of interest, I got this one from a list of movies recommended for adventure-game fans.

Mandle

Snarky

Correct. It has (book and movie) directly inspired at least four adventure games: La abadía del crimen (1987), Il noma della rosa (1993), Murder in the Abbey (2008), and most recently Pentiment (2022).

Here's the next screencap I was going to share, just because I think the outfits are neat:

LimpingFish

I happened to watch The Name of the Rose again quite recently, having not seen it since it first aired on TV back in the late '80s (an awkward family viewing experience :-[).

It's a great visual film, much like Bram Stoker's Dracula, in that it's a feast for the eyes but a bit rickety in the story department. Reading the Wikipedia entry for it, one critic cited the "preposterously happy ending" as a major fault, and it is quite an upbeat ending for such a dark story.

Overall, though, I'd certainly recommend it. Shockingly, it doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere. :-\

Snarky

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 17/01/2023 20:24:55one critic cited the "preposterously happy ending" as a major fault, and it is quite an upbeat ending for such a dark story.

I'm guessing that critic wasn't a big bibliophile. :-\

Snarky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk