Sam and Max 2 Cancelled! (Not Anymore)

Started by magintz, Wed 03/03/2004 19:13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

We're all spouting hot air unless we can produce some market research to back uus up. Anecdotal evidence is hardly proof. So, here's the only real eveidence I could find on the web, from 2001 in Australia:

http://oldwww.roymorgan.com/polls/2001/3379/

Weirdly, they have video games and computer games as separate categories.... wonder what that means. But anyway, it show that there's plenty of old people playing games, and that will mean that they are buying them too.

There's probably more market research data out there if you're willing to pay for it...

DGMacphee

Not even market research can save this thread.

Sam n Max 2 is dead -- may it rest in peace, and may all of us too.

MODS, time to work your mojo on this thread.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

jetlag

Yes, I forgot the PS2 market for some reazon. I'm more of a game boy myself.
Lots of people have a playstation. And the gameDVD's are harder to burn. That would make sence.

On another note. Research showed that women played more computergames than men. Reazon: Women played MS-solitair at work sometimes. Is the research flaw or not?

MrColossal

I'm not picking on you Jet. Do I think you're childish and silly sometimes? Yes, do I search your posts out just to comment and anger you? No. Am I childish and silly sometimes? Yes. Am I also full of hate and anger? No, sorry I Eat Butter...

You made a comment I thought was wrong and I posted to try and correct your thinking, excuse the hell out of me.

as I said before, women have taken a HUGE leap up in casual gaming since The Sims and Yahoo Games and the like. People at work play games now [Just ask Gilbert] Give a man an internet connection and a cubicle and I guarantee they'll be playing Super Breakout within the hour.

anyway, whatever, I saw the "new" screenshots of sam and max and it looked better. It could have been pretty looking at least.

and jet, the comment about barcik's freedom of speech, was that silly and childish... maybe. but wouldn't you say so is defending your right to free speech so vehemently and then trying to deny someone elses a little hypocriticaly? i'm just looking for consistency.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

jetxl

all those words that end with "Y". I need a dictionary.
(I gave him 2 suggestions.)

Graphics, story, sound/music and gameplay are ALL important in a game.
Don't judge a book by it's cover. I sometimes find myself playing old games with crap gameplay. The only reazon that I continue to play, is the story.
I havn't played samnmax2 and I don't know a thing about the story. I only saw a trailer that didn't showed anything about gameplay OR the story. So I don't know if samnmax2 would be a great game, but I would have liked to found out.

auhsor

Hmm, and here I was thinking that this thread was about the cancellation of sam and max 2. Its good to see that the petition is over 20 000, but I doubt that it will bring it back. The reply from LA was interesting about the petition. I just hope lots of people have used snail mail, cos that does get a better responce than thousands of emails. I wonder how that picket line thingy went at Lucasarts the other week...

btw, just to go off topic again. Jet, your avatar and sig annoy me cos at the moment i'm at uni and i've got a quota on how many megs I can download and its pretty annoying everytime i come on the forums I got these big animations that I can't block. Also I don't really want to keep seeing your sig, cos it does offend me. I think OVC got rid of it for a reason. Oh well, I hope everyone stope annoying everyone else. This place used to be pretty peaceful once upon a time.

magintz

I am angry.... grrr....

If an uproar thread about s+m2 being cancelled can get up to 9 pages just on our forums alone, then perhaps we ought to start some sort of "productive" form of abuse. I know e-mails have been sent to lucas-arts, some rather offensive, but that is good, but i think as one of the last real civilisations of adventure game fans we should try to persuade them to reconsider it for the future.

RIP Sam and Max 2, may your humour die with all those tortured souls that you two have tormented!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

remixor

LEC tried to see if there were any other studios who wanted to finish the game.  There were, but none of them had enough money to do it.  LEC might pick up the project again at some point in the future (though it's unlikely), but right now the team has been explicitly told not to work on it at all.  God knows why, since as far as I know the only in-house project they have right now is Republic Commando.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

AGA

I'd be awesome if Vivendi Universal bought it.

James Kay

Quote from: AGA on Sun 28/03/2004 22:32:23
I'd be awesome if Vivendi Universal bought it.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

You obviously don't work in the game industry.  ;)

AGA

And you obviously don't understand irony.

James Kay

Not first thing in the morning before my first coffee, no.  :-[

Nacho

Hey! Good reply, I was frearing a flame war! :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

AGA

Domino

Well this could be a mistake, but i picked up the May 2004 issue of GamePro magazine and there was a whole page dedicated to Sam & Max : Freelance Police.  I don't know if GamePro is behind on their information, but according to them, the game is scheduled for a Fall 2004 release.

GamePro also has sone nifty screen shots to boot also.  I was shocked when i saw it.

MrColossal

I believe what happened was Lucasarts cancelled the game before all the magazines that had all the articles were published, so now people are gonna get all hyped for a game that's been cancelled for months

hooray!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Czar

OMG!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!11

SAM AND MAX 2 ARES CANCELLED??!!!??

WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!!111!!!

DAMN YOU LUCAS ARTS!!!!

give me his email....

Well, dear Mr. Arts, your gonna hear yours now!
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

DG from work

Note to self: E-mail Czar next time a game gets cancelled.

[Cameron]

Quote from: Jet Invictus on Mon 08/03/2004 08:54:25
Most Game reporters are at least 25 years old. They are in an age categorie that doesnt buy games. The age categorie that does buy a lot of games are teenagers.
25 year old gamers have grown up with adventure games and know sam and max was a great game, while a 15 year old has not.
I think its hard to believe that everybody would BUY sam&max2.
Dude i am yet to turn 15 and i played Sam and Max, The Space Quest games, The Kings Quest Games, Police Quest, the Ultima series and the Maniac Mansion series. I love Sam and Max and have replayed it various times. Your comments are completely flawed and everything you have said has made it seem that you only wish to annoy everybody on the forums. Although this may be against freedom of speech but shut the FUCK UP!!!

Sometimes people can be shits.

Wormmaster

WHAT?!
THIS CANNOT BE!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Those b******s...
They will pay from this!!!!

I repeat...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk