Sam and Max 2 Cancelled! (Not Anymore)

Started by magintz, Wed 03/03/2004 19:13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Quote from: Lithium on Sat 17/04/2004 09:25:08
Dude i am yet to turn 15 and i played Sam and Max, The Space Quest games, The Kings Quest Games, Police Quest, the Ultima series and the Maniac Mansion series. I love Sam and Max and have replayed it various times. Your comments are completely flawed and everything you have said has made it seem that you only wish to annoy everybody on the forums. Although this may be against freedom of speech but shut the FUCK UP!!!

Woah woah cool it, any need for that language? What he said was largely true, most 15 year olds haven't played classic adventures such as Sam & Max - because the current 'trendy' games to play are FPS. But, when today's 25-year-olds were 15, adventure games were all the rage and the latest thing to play.

Nacho

That's the problem with generalizations... even if they're true, always comes the exception to yell at you "look at me! You're wrong!"

But I agree that 15-year old guys do not know very well GAs... But I must say that the stalement by JetLag "I am the only who purchases games here, I am the only who can express his opinion" is quite annoying, specially if its slightly suggests that a great majority of us are software pirates...

Specially because it distracts the attention from the main debate... "Would the incomes produced by Sam and Max have produced revenues?" I think it would, but this is starting the same debate again.... and the conclussion is sad... or AdGames are dead, or they're in a looong coma.

It's our duty to keep they alive...

*Monkey Island tune enters*
*AGS flag appears*
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

LGM

I'm 16 and I've played every adventure game from KQ1 to Full Throttl..

But I haven't played Sam and Max or FOA or some other ones you folks seem to praise.
You. Me. Denny's.

remixor

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Sat 17/04/2004 18:31:32
I'm 16 and I've played every adventure game from KQ1 to Full Throttl..

But I haven't played Sam and Max or FOA or some other ones you folks seem to praise.

How have you played every adventure game from KQ1 to FT if you haven't played a bunch of the ones praised on these forums?  Most of the really popular games among AGS users were released between KQ1 and FT.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

So - is there still a sucker out there who actually believes we will ever see Monkey Island 5 (which is the latest rumour)?

Honestly, all financial matters aside, I don't understand how a company that made its foundations on adventure games can afford, PR-wise, to cancel two highly-hyped products after the general consensus that the last Monkey Island was crap, by MI standards (I myself think it's a FINE game but a BAD MI game, but that's been discussed before). The company's losing credibility. Or rather, it now lost all it had. THIS is what I can't understand, how could they afford to go that road?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

remixor

Quote from: redruM on Sun 18/04/2004 12:44:57
So - is there still a sucker out there who actually believes we will ever see Monkey Island 5 (which is the latest rumour)?

Heh, that rumor is flying around AGAIN?  Where'd you see it this time?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It's been around before? Heck, with my luck, it's probably the same you already know of and I read it on an outdated site. Don't really remember which... but it claimed to be THE fan place for Monkey Island. I remember the links on the left bar of the page read "Monkey Island 1", all through to 4, and then "Monkey island 5?", with that question mark.

Kneel. Now.

Privateer Puddin'

They had an april fools i think with Monkey Island 5 stuff :) thats what is there :p

remixor

Quote from: redruM on Sun 18/04/2004 21:17:54
It's been around before? Heck, with my luck, it's probably the same you already know of and I read it on an outdated site. Don't really remember which... but it claimed to be THE fan place for Monkey Island. I remember the links on the left bar of the page read "Monkey Island 1", all through to 4, and then "Monkey island 5?", with that question mark.

Ah, I know what you're talking about.  That's not suggesting there IS a MI5 in development, they just have that page there for whenever MI5 rumours pop up, usually to deny them.

Gregjazz

Wouldn't we all be so happy if lucasarts declared that the cancellation was all just one big evil april fool's joke?

MrColossal

I just wish they'd get on with announceing the cancelation of Grim Fandango 2, Maniac Mansion 3, indiana jones, and Monkey Island... At least then they couldn't get our hopes up and we'd also know that Grim and Maniac Mansion are safe from being ruined
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

GF2? MM3? Are those planned?

Kneel. Now.

MrColossal

i was making a joke, saying that they might as well just cancel them cause if they even started them they'd get canceled anyway
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kneel. Now.

Cluey

The reason adventure games have died, is because of one simple thing, consoles, the consoles are the biggest market for games, MI4 was a console game, Broken Sword 3, all console releases.  So the PC gamer gets a bad conversion of a console version, with dodgy controls, and inferior graphics, adventure games dont sell well on the consoles anyway, so just keep the market to its roots I say, PC Adventure Games, with Point and Click, not move and press loads of keyboard buttons.
Aramore
My webcomic.

Scummbuddy

EMI was not shoved onto the PC after the PS2. The PC version came out before, and then a small upgrade was done for the PS2 version.

But I understand your point.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Azure

People seem to spend ages releasing the source code to things like Doom 3 I wish they'd  actually be useful and release Sam & Max.

On a good note Revolution are hinting at steel sky 2 yay!
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

deadsuperhero

You know, the funny thing is that Sam and Max had their own cartoon show.
There was only one episode, though. At least, I think it was only one.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Al_Ninio

Wrong.
There was one season.
I have to say I *loved* the show.
And that was before I knew the game, so you can't say I'm biased  :P

Meowster

Well, with the latest layoffs at LucasArts, I think we can pretty safely say that Sam n Max never will be picked up again.

Hm, I never participated in this thread (although I sent a lot of angry emails to various departments of LucasArts at the time). The latest LucasArts news is a real blow to me. Not surprising, but still. I pretty much grew up with LucasArts. There was something about them that no other game company quite captures. Not yet, anyway. Something damn special. They consistently produced fantastic games, hitting the bullseye time and time again. Even the Golden Guy logo was awesome.

It's friggin' sad, what they've become. It's sad because no other game company can ever be quite what they were to me. Not even Double Fine, because I didn't grow up playing Double Fine games. Double Fine doesn't sound quite as cool as LucasArts. The Two Headed Baby doesn't quite beat the Golden Guy. And I don't have a collection of Double Fine games on my shelf above the PC.

Those guys are monkey fuckers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk