April MAGS

Started by Klaus, Sun 04/04/2004 11:05:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
BECAUSE MAGINTZ SAID SO... !  ;)

joking

We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme - Funkadelic

Geoffkhan set some rules that lead us to the world of funky music.
It's on you to decide where to place the game and what to do. See for yourself...

No restriction on colour depth or resolution.

One of the central characters in the plot must be a musician.
Also, the antagonist must have a weird phobia.

Items (pick at least two) you must have in the game:
- Lava lamp
- Tropical print shirt
- Afro wig
- Roller skates
- Guitar pick
- 70's tinted sunglasses
- Turban
- Skull medallion
- Tuning fork
- Lampshade
- Vinyl record

---------------------------------------------------------------

All games in by 27th April.
Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Mats Berglinn

Not bad rules, not bad at all. In fact, they're quite cool. If it weren't because of my computer doesn't let me play AGS games or test my own AGS games I would have started on it right away.

By the way, what is a tuning fork?

Peter Thomas

Musicians use them to take a pitch...

it looks kinda like a normal fork except without the 'middle' prong.

You bang it against the side of your head (the most common way, anyway) , and you hear a note, which allows you to decide which note to start on etc.

A bit like the principle of banging the tip of a spoon against the lip of a champane glass. You hear a dinging noise. The idea is similar.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Ginny

Err, looks like the rules dictate funky music in the game? or can I have like, mute concerts ;D.

Well, this will take some thought.

What do you mean by the world of funky music anyway?
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Klaus

Quote from: GinnyW on Sun 04/04/2004 12:29:27What do you mean by the world of funky music anyway?
Oh, i just mixed up the words "musician" and "funkadelic" that Geoffkhan used in his description. So you don't need to build a whole world of funkiness at all :)

Quote from: GinnyW on Sun 04/04/2004 12:29:27looks like the rules dictate funky music in the game?
There's this line " the antagonist must have a weird phobia": So for one's game concept this may mean a phobia against funk music - so you don't need to use this genre of sound. But that's just an idea in case you don't like funk...

Ginny

Hmm well I was more thinking along the lines that i need at least some music in the game, hehe.
Anyway, I have an idea in mind, but it isn't too original, also, I seem to have slightly forgotten what funk sounds like..
So, just to be clear that this fits in the rules:
You play a music fanatic whose idol musician has come to town to perform. You are the concert with a ticket you got for backstage, but you can't get there.. The antagonist is a lone-wolf kinda person who wants to stop the concert and kill you idol.
How's that for a premise? Does it work with the rules (I won't reveal the phobia yet)Not one of my most original ideas to say the least, but it should work. And this means, walkcycles! I'll work on my main character soon.

P.s. Does this mean the game doesn't actually have to be about funk music, but rather any kind of music, and any kind of musician?

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Klaus

Quote from: GinnyW on Sun 04/04/2004 14:07:34
... How's that for a premise? Does it work with the rules

P.s. Does this mean the game doesn't actually have to be about funk music...

To me your game idea sound absolutely fitting the rules. Also I'd say "Yes, you're right" as answer to your question in P.S. But to be sure let's better wait for a reply from Geoffkhan  :)

rtf

Yeah!  These are the best rules yet!
I'm going to definatly enter.
I fail at art.

Pet Terry

These are the best rules in looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Nice job on this Geoff. I would enter if I had more time...
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Gregjazz

No, I didn't intend for funk to necessarily be the music genre of the game. Heck, you could make your game about a bunch of baroque music hippies (oops, did I just give you an idea?).

By funky, I didn't really intend to imply funk music (although that'd be cool too), but more like "wacky".

Watch Wayne's World or Spinal Tap for inspiration. :)

Ginny

Ooh, perfect, whacky games ahoy! I'm gonna hammer out the plotline and puzzles and dialogs tonight, maybe part of tommorow, and work on the main character, so hopefully I'll make this in time. :)

BOYD1981

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Sun 04/04/2004 20:31:47
By funky, I didn't really intend to imply funk music (although that'd be cool too), but more like "wacky".

or smelly :D

i might actually try do something for this, i've already started designing a character

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Evil

So more or less a music basis then just "funk"? What about a dis"funk"tional band?  :-\

BerserkerTails

Hmmm... I'm thinking of an idea, don't know if I'll have time to enter... But here's my ploy synopsis so far...

The game's name would be Disfunctional Harmony. It would be about an orchestra that is about to put on a show in a large concert hall and brodcasted live on TV. Suddenly, an evil terrorist rock band hijacks the concert hall, so they can play a show on live TV a get a record contract. Now, the only one who can stop them is...

Luftpause! The maestro/superhero!

You would play as Luftpause as he infiltrates the concert hall and saves the day!

Do you think I should try to work on this game?
I make music.

ElectricMonk

As a German native speaker, I have to ask...
"Luftpause"?  "air pause"?
I don't get it.

BerserkerTails

Luftpause is eaxtly that. It's an air pause. It's actually a term in music (Mostly classical). It's when the whole band stops, and there's silence for a second or two, and then the conductor tells the band when to start again.

It's commonly used right before the last note/chord of a peice. You know, just as the thing build up and it's all dissonant and stuff. Then everything stops. Then BAM, the last chord.
I make music.

rtf

Under "Items(Pick at least two)", does that mean like Items in the backround, or inventory objects?
I fail at art.

Gregjazz

Releasethefrogs, 'items' could mean inventory or just hotspots. It doesn't really matter, as long as two of those are in the game somehow.

Berserkertrails, that idea sounds good to me. "Luftpause" the maestro/superhero would be a great character! :)

Moox

you could set an entire game in a skating rink lol

Creed Malay

I got a story for this, and I'd like to do the game, but it's music reliant, in part, and I have no talents in tune makeing whatsoever... would any skilled music-type-person like to do some stuff for a game based around a brass band on death row?

Davy
Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk