Secret of Monkey Island

Started by Jimi, Sat 08/03/2003 11:58:09

Previous topic - Next topic

veryweirdguy

Hey...that's a great idea! Thanks Tìmôsít¥, I might try that out!

Jimi

I'll try that! Since you seem to be inteligent, (I'm sucking up!) Could you tell me. I want to post a song me and my friend did on the critics lounge, for people to C&C it. How can I have a link to listen to it rather than you have to download it?

Timosity

That's a tough question cause it depends on how peoples individual internet settings are, but even if you are streaming music it is still being downloaded anyway, I'm no expert on streaming music.

It depends what format you are using, eg. mp3 ogg midi, I think you can stream wma files, they're pretty small I think.

You might have better luck asking in the Gen forum

EDIT: YAY, I finished SMI, so now I've played them all in reverse order

why did you download the secret of monkey island? that's copyrighted material!
you don't wan't lucasarts(tm) to go bankrupt, do you?

???
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

scotch

Yes SMI probably brings in a massive amount of money to Lucasarts nowadays.. I'm really sorry for all the LEC games I've downloaded :'(

Oh wait, I do want Lucasarts to go bankrupt.

Jimi

As much as I like the Monkey Island series, since those, the quality of thier games has really gone downhill (except for sam&max, etc.)

Scummbuddy

Quote from: Jimi on Mon 14/04/2003 20:03:41
As much as I like the Monkey Island series, since those, the quality of thier games has really gone downhill (except for sam&max, etc.)

That doesn't really make much sense, since the MI series is still going, and Sam and max came out over 5 years ago... so your idea of order inwhich its gone downhill doesnt really work.  If you mean after a certian MI game then its a little different.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

n3tgraph

now WAIT!

LEC definitly shouldn't go bankrupt!
They might not finish the last jedi knight  :'(

And what about a second Grim Fandango? Who knows....
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Timosity

Yeah, I think George Lucas will definately go bankrupt, no one would pay to see a starwars movie, no one will buy any of the games, He's on his way to the unemployment office.

(imagine if he shared his wealth with the 3rd world)

I just finished Indy: Last Crusade, much harder than I remembered, figuring out all the different dialog sequences, I couldn't find the keys to fight, plus it's more challenging to talk your way around things.

EDIT: interesting point using SCUMMVM to play this game, there were a few animation glitches, and Near the end in the trials where you walk over the letters, the player character was invisible, also during the trials you are not supposed to be able to save your game, but with scummvm you can.

Jimi

So, Scummbuddy, are you saying that you know that LA are making an MI5?

if (yes) {
  Display("COOL!!!! PLEEAASE don't go bankrupt!!!");
  }
if (no) {
  Display("D'oh!");
  }

Czar

hey, i just got back in the Secret of  MI thread to say: What, you are still here?? 7 pages?
Anyway, i dont think LEC will ever go bancrupt, cause they have GL behind it all... :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Jimi

This is the most sucsessful thread I have ever started! Normally they fizzle out after about 20 replies.

people are still buying the monkey island 1 and 2 games.
I think their still worth a penny...

If we all download the games we want instead of buying them, there'll be no more gamedevelopers in the world.

think about that.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Jimi

Matt Brown

of course people will make games. what are we??? We make games, we let folks download them for free.

Also, I think that whatever sales lucusarts gets from their old MI games is pretty small. small enough that they haven't made much of an effort to stop it. I see a copy every once in a while of MI4 at best buy for 5 bucks. LEC doesn't see any of that money I dont think, and if they did, it would be peanuts. Now, if LEC created a NEW game, and we all ripped it, it wouldn't be fair. after people stop buying it much after say, 10 years, then yeah, we can download it.
word up

Ghostamaker

screw waiting 10 years to download a game, if they charge $80+ for a game i think there asking people to rip there game off. if they started selling them at a resonable price (say $20 AU) i might consider opening my wallet, intill then if they want my money, they can bloody well earn it.

Timosity

I bought Grim Fandango for $19 AU in Kmart and CMI for around the same a year ago, but I have downloaded many others, even talkie versions, ie FOA, I can't find Full Throttle anywhere in shops but I'll probably d/l the full cd version next month when I have more bandwidth to spare.

I just completed FOA, which I have played before but it was the first time I'd played the TEAM journey, It is one of the hardest games I've ever played, It took me about as long to finish as MI 1-4 put together.

Jimi

The english store: HMV is wierd, it's a music store, but they sell games too. I was looking at the PC games, and there, was Escape from Monkey Island. £14.99. Next to it was a game (about 2 years old) called Black and White. It was £9.99. It had beeter grahics, but was cheaper. It just goes to show that LA will either go out of bussiness for having their prices too high, or because they no longer release old classics which are their most popular games!

Matt Brown

I think stores set the prices for older games. MI4 is 10 US dollars. GF is 15 us dollars at best guy. LA sells them for different prices. if people will shell out 15 bucks for an older game, the store would be stupid not to charge more.

when the company sets a price, (like sony and the ps2) and its too high for an older game, then, screw them.
word up

Scummbuddy

pfft, why go to a store during normal hours and actually buy a computer, and pay their higher rates to make a profit, when you can go during the night and steal one.  Its cheaper.

yes, this is the same thing.
Edit*In case you didnt know, i was using sarcasim and do not condone people to start, or continue stealing games, computers or puppies.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk