Suggestion: More translated AGS games and category for translated games

Started by SimSaw, Wed 14/05/2003 16:27:23

Previous topic - Next topic

SimSaw

I'm German and so I'm interested in games which have got a German translation files. But until now I could only find two games which uses translation files. So what about a category for translated games? In this category the author should say which translations his or her game does support.

By the way, I want to say that you should translate your game by any translators. There are so much translators around here who wants to translate any games. What about the idea of an award for games which have got much translations? I would think that would motivate the people to do that more.

What do you think about that all?

LucasFan

QuoteI'm interested in games which have got a German translation files.

Pleurghburg: Dark Ages, King's Quest I VGA 3.0 (not released yet), Zak2 and The Phantom Inheritance are multilingual. Indiana Jones & The Fountain of Youth will be translated too, I think.

edmundito

Maybe the games list on the main site should have an entry for Translation, Music, and Voice Pack if available.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

SimSaw

Pleurghburg: Dark Ages isn't translated. I donwloaded it and I found no possibility to change the language. So I was right when I said that only 2 games have got a translation file at the moment.

Authors, PLEASE let translate your games! It would be great if on some day only every third game isn't translated into at least three languages.

And please Chris, make a category for translated games.

n3tgraph

gah translations aren't nessecary

I'm dutch and I HATE dutch languaged games - why I don't know

Just give me the english adventures ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SimSaw

That's what you think. But I think a translation is necessary, because without it I'm not able to understand as much of the game as when there would be a good German translation.

I hope everybody understands it now. I as an abroad boy can not have as much fun than the English people, because there's no translation.

Nicholas Cool

HAHAHAHAHA
When I read this it made me think of that time I was walking down the street minding my own business when suddenly .......
There was this car full with german tourists looking for some kind of coffee bar (wink)  ;)
But the problem was; They just couldn't get used to the idea of someone NOT talking their language, actually I do speak German , but I'm a great actor.
But It got even worse , when I replied in my own language , they just started speaking german REALLY slowly , thinking I suddenly would understand their great language. When I said I didn't understand them , they actually got ANGRY with me because of my stupidity.
I see the same thing happening here , Man , everybody speaks English. Learn it.
When you turn on Television in Germany Sylvester Stallone or whoever suddenly starts speaking German. You change the outside world into your world. But it just won't work .It's time to change from within.Get A Fx%#$ing Dictionary.
Au revoir -AUF WIEDERSEHEN for you

SimSaw

You had bad experiences with Germans. But maybe you have understood me wrong. I only want that the English people give me the posibility to translate the game by MYSELF. I don't want that they translate it by theirselves.

By the way, not everyone can learn foreign languages good. For example my brother. He would play a game only if it would have a German translation. Probably you aren't or weren't very good in every subject at school. So give Germans the posibility to play it in their own language. Do you think Chris Jones made the translate function for nothing?

Yes, I have to learn English. Today you need this. But isn't it a way of learning English if I translate a game? And it's also helpfull to compare the both versions. So the German and English players can learn the foreign language, too.

Chrille

GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Spyros

Most of the people here speak only their native languange and english so it's difficult to translate a game to more languanges. And I don't know many people that speak German.

LucasFan

QuoteGet A Fx%#$ing Dictionary

There is no need to agitate, Nicholas. Many Germans understand English, but that doesn't mean they are willing to watch a movie in English language. Let's face the facts â€" 80 % of the German adventure-fans will not play a fan-adventure if it's not translated and there are more fans of that genre in Germany, than in any other European country. Believe me.  ;) So SimSaws offer makes sense. Especially LucasArts-style-games are very popular here. Or did you know that big fan-projects like Fate of Atlantis 2 or Zak McKracken and the Alien Rockstars were founded by Germans? Language is not only a way of communication - it's also a kind of art.

PS.: The former translator of LucasArts, Boris Schneider, became something like a half-god in Germany…

Squinky

I wouldn't mind my games being translated...But I'm not sure how hard that would be....

Nicholas Cool

I humbly apologize for my nastyness earlier on.
And Simsaw I did get you wrong   :-[
If you put it like this I will be willing to help you.
I'm working on a project -Squatquest- It's only in the early stages.
But when the time is there and all dialogs are finished, I can work with you for a translated version in German.

Sometimes I ve got a short fuse and it lites really quickly  :-[

n3tgraph

Well I still think English is a priority!

For pete's sake, it's the World-Language.
I played Monkey Island when I was a kid too, and NO, there wasn't a dutch language pack. Actually there are very rare dutch packs Everywhere. Even manuals!

Why?
Dutch can speak english.

It's not fair, when we go to germany, we have to speak german, else they won't understand us,
When the germans come to holland, WE have to speak german, else they won't understand us and get angry.
When you talk english to german, they don't understand.

The same story goes for France - what's wrong with you people? :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SimSaw

Quote from: N3TGraph on Mon 19/05/2003 09:58:35It's not fair, when we go to germany, we have to speak german, else they won't understand us,
When the germans come to holland, WE have to speak german, else they won't understand us and get angry.
When you talk english to german, they don't understand.
But if Germans go to Netherlands, they have to talk Dutch or English, else it's not sure that they will be able to talk with you.
If somebody goes abroad he or she should be able to speak the language there. But what if you are forced to go there? (parents, school...) You can't learn every language.
Of course, it's not nice if Germans come to Netherlands and are not ready to talk English if they have learned it. But I think there are enough who do this, aren't there?

In Netherlands you use English more than people in Germany. I recognized that on TV Knight Rider is in English only with Dutch subtitles. I would hate it if it was so in Germany! I think synchronize it to German is a better way to do it.  Also there are a lot of jobs by this. So remember: In Germany and France the native language is more important than a foreign language.

English is OK as a language to communicate world-wide. But I also think the English people shouldn't become the lords with their language. I think every language has got the right to exist. So every text shall be translated in these languages if there is a volunteer translator for that.

CHRIS JONES, if you are reading this message PLEASE make a category for translated games. And to all again: We should discuss about giving an award if people have got a game which is playable in many languages. The translation must be complete. There are also some interface problems which can cause that the game cannot be translated completely. But I now trick for this. Also if the game uses image buttons.

n3tgraph

Quote from: SimSaw on Mon 19/05/2003 14:35:09
But if Germans go to Netherlands, they have to talk Dutch or English, else it's not sure that they will be able to talk with you.
If somebody goes abroad he or she should be able to speak the language there. But what if you are forced to go there? (parents, school...) You can't learn every language.
Of course, it's not nice if Germans come to Netherlands and are not ready to talk English if they have learned it. But I think there are enough who do this, aren't there?

Hmmm, I have to run into them yet - but okay, I believe you....

as for the synchronizations, I can only say, the dutch hate synchronizations and love subtitles. I couldn't stand watching movies being synchronized to dutch, I wouldn't like it. But that's just a personal opinion I think.

When watching german tv, I always think the voices are always the same :), and that takes away something beautiful from a movie, It takes Yoda's voice away etc etc.

It just isn't the same ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SimSaw

Quote from: N3TGraph on Mon 19/05/2003 15:13:08
When watching german tv, I always think the voices are always the same , and that takes away something beautiful from a movie.
That's right. I think there aren't enough 'synchronizer' for the movies. If we wouldn't have such a bad situation at the moment I would like to make the rule that every actor gets his personal 'synchronizer'. He only is allowed to synchronize him or her and that should be until he will end working. This is only a 'dream'. I know this can't work.

AndersM

Think of all those funny jokes and word-games in an english game that only would sound stupid in a translation, like

A: "Should I press the left button?"
B: "Right" (correct)
(A presses the right button, everybody dies)

What would that be in german?

Eero

Yeah... That is annoying. Luckily there's no games based only on that...
Actually, you can say "du hast Recht", what will mean "you're right", and "recht" means "right" as a direction too, but still this joke can't be translated correctly...

juncmodule

I don't get it? All the multi-lingual people are taking a stance that I would assume only people that speak one language would take. Personally I don't speak German, but if I went to Germany I would expect that people would prefer that I spoke German. Same goes for any other country and any other language. You should at least TRY to speak the native language...it just seems more...respectful.

As for game translations. Since most of us only speak one or two languages obviously that gives us only one or two options. So, unless if you are offering to translate it for us...

If you are offering to translate...go for it! I think it sounds like a great idea. For some reason I thought there was an entirely German speaking AGS forum...did I just imagine that??

later,
-junc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk