AGS 2.56d Final is released!

Started by Pumaman, Thu 21/08/2003 19:02:34

Previous topic - Next topic

LucasFan

I think there is a bug. When a character is near the room edge, its speech isn't centred over its head. It's more in the middle of the room. I'm using v2.56a. I don't have that problem with AGS 2.55.

Vel

Yes, thats what I mean too chris.

Ghost

Isn't that caused by the text (being centre-aligned) being put somewhere where the longest text line can be displayed close to the upper middle part of the chara screen? I take care that there are 2 "clear" pixels above my characters heads, and that works okay 8 times out of 10.

More important: Mr. Jones, you deserve a statue. I found AGS on giga.de (very old version), then gave your homepage a visit and was hooked. I always loved adventure games (being 28, the infocom classics were among the first games I played, together with Monkey Island 1 and Zak). AGS is, in my opinion, an unbeliveable project- it always gets a bit better, a bit more comfortable, a bit more user-friendly, it has very few bugs and is still free sotware. In a world where most programs are rather expensive and are thrown on the market, using us as beta testers, your Adventure Game Studio is an uncommon delight.

Sounds schmaltz? Dang it, this program rocks! Mr. Jones, name a foodstuff of your choice and I will personally build your statue out of it!

static

The wrong text alignement(poor eng) has not
happened before. I have the game and the screens
to prove it. While working on my project I made a
back-up a long time ago. Now that back-up will prove
that AGS ver.2.56 has a TEXT problem.

In the old version the text is aligned just above my
character (and the other character)and everything's fine.

But in the new version: (no tricks, if needed I'll send
the opensource ver of the game*)

*obviously, only that room and only the two characters
involved will be provided due to several reasons.

For more info just ask.

Chris nice new version, but is there a way to go back
to the old one? I really need the game done soon and
with this text-bug-thingy I can't present it.
(Did I mention that this does not occur in AGS 2.55?:)

Pumaman

Heh, funny isn't it - v2.56 was in beta for almost two months, and yet these bugs never seem to get spotted until it's too late. *sigh*

Yes, there is a bug with the positioning of lucasarts-style text. I'll probably have to release a v2.56b to fix it, since it is quite a serious flaw.

QuoteSince nobody else has yet mentioned this, I will do so as my very first post. In this release, in the About window, it states the date of creation as July. This is an August release?

Hehe, the lengths some people will go to to find a bug :P

Pumaman

Okay, a fixed build, 2.56b is now available (see the first post in this thread).

Please download it and check that it fixes the bug (and doens't break anything else ;) ) then I'll slap it on the website.

Thanks for the bug reporting, people.

static

The bug is still there. Just to prove it...

The gray text(Huh?) is greenthingy's speech.

Pumaman

Are you absolutely sure you're using the new version?

Press Ctrl+V in-game - what version number does it print out?

2.56b definately fixes the problem for me.

LucasFan

Works fine for me, too. Thx a lot Chris.

static

Scorpiorus

Hello, CJ

Quintaros found a bug where the mouse cursor disappears after some of the screen transitions: http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=8305

-Cheers

Pumaman

Quote from: static on Wed 03/09/2003 12:08:10
Ctrl-V displays:

Ah sorry, the problem still happens if the character doesn't have a talking view. Please download v2.56c (updated link in the first post) which should hopefully finally resolve this pesky bug.

Scorpiorus: Sorry, but if it's not a new bug introduced in 2.56, could you please post it in a new thread. I really don't want to make any more changes to 2.56 as I'd like to release it as soon as possible.

Scorpiorus

Strange, the bug seems not to be gone. Here is a test template I made in v256c. Just walk to the left/right edges of the screen. Occurs in both dos and win versions at any resolution.

Oh, and one more minor bug with the using of text parser in dialogs. It doesn't refresh the text box if Anti-alias TTF fonts option is off. :P

EDIT:
I've also tried to display the dialog options using a separate GUI and it doesn't refresh no matter what the anti-alias font setting is.

Btw, choosing the user input text calls the dialog_request() function. I don't know whether it's mentioned in the manual. Oh, it is there, I have found it just now. :)

-Cheers

Pumaman

Arg you're right, the bug still affects DisplaySpeechBackground.

Right, v2.56d is up, which hopefully will finally fix this once and for all.

I think I need a vacation.
:P

Scorpiorus

QuoteRight, v2.56d is up, which hopefully will finally fix this once and for all.
It works like a charm, Chris! :D Thank you very much!

QuoteI think I need a vacation.
:P
Version 2.56 has a really long change-list and took much time to tune it up. We highly appreciate your work on AGS, CJ. Have a happy vacation, if you'll decide to!

~Cheers

SSH

I'd like to point out another bug, just to wind up CJ, but unfortunately I can't find any right now.

*SSH gives CJ an asprin

Hobbes

It's cool!

But, now the Lucasarts style speech gets into the four-lines variety.

Now, my memory is a bit dusty at this point. Did this happen before? I can't seem to recall it. It makes for rather cumbersome reading though, imho.

Screenshot to illustrate:

Pumaman

Actually yes, that's deliberate.

As part of the fix, I adjusted it a bit so that it better centres the text over the character's head.

Before, if the character was standing close to the screen edge, you could get the text stretching across a long way, and it looked rather odd. Now, if they're close to the edge, it shrinks the text width to make it more central over the character.

QuoteI'd like to point out another bug, just to wind up CJ, but unfortunately I can't find any right now.

LOL :P

Monk

DAMN YOU CJ! you rocks! this is all what i need in life!  ;)

Gilbert

Pumaman, actually I think these a, b, c, d things are a bit misleading, as people may think there're new features, in my opinion SR1, SR2, etc. seems to suit better in these released (like in some of the old versions, though it's a bit M$ish :P ).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk