December MAGS

Started by magintz, Mon 01/12/2003 16:52:50

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
BECAUSE I SAID SO... k!

joking

I'm not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The theme is going to be Christmas but this time it will be with famous characters.

An example: Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne get's invated to Dr. Fred's house for a Christmas party but someone have stolen the presents and it's up to Bernard and pals to find the presents and find the guilty one.

The rules:

1: There must be a Christmas story which is based on existing characters from movies, cartoons or games (not real persons if they don't feature in those things mentioned like). Adventure games characters from Lucas Arts and Sierra games are okay.

2: The main-character must have a santa hat on his head. It's up to you if you want the other characters to have a santa hats but you don't have to if you want.

3: There must be at least five playable rooms and at least one must include snow (a snow-veiw out of a window is okay but paintings don't count). The snow-plug in is welcome but it's not "stricktly".

The rest is up to the contestants...

If you got any games that you want to use the characters from you can either start from scratch or go to http://www.juncmodule.com/juncSource.html to rip off characters, backgrounds, objects etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun guys... all games in by 28th!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Mats Berglinn

I wish good luck to everybody.

Dave Gilbert

How about characters from books?

Mats Berglinn

That does count, Gilbert.

I was only thinking if they're not harder to do compaired to movies, cartoons, games etc, or are they?

PureGhostGR

Does the character have to wear the red hat at all times? Or can it be something like a special section of the game?

Edit: And also.. must all the characters be existing (famous) ones? Or just the main one?

Nixxon

any graphical restrictions?
does "every" character have to be famous?

Mats Berglinn

GhostGR: The main-character must wear it all the time. About the existing characters, not everyone but most of them, it's okay to make up characters but at least three must be extisted like I said. Also, the main-character must be an existing character like Bernard, Guybrush, Elwood Blues, Goofy etc.

Nixxon: Graphic is up to you but it would be recommended that if you for example use Day of the Tentacle characters, use cartoon style graphics. When I mean famous I mean that most people have heard or seen about. It doesn't mean it have to be popular like Pokémon or Star Wars but something we agsers know about like Sam & Max, Monkey Island or anykind of we know. Even the less known characters are welcome here. No, not everyone have to be famous. Just some, at least more than one.

Nixxon

no worries :)
Put bluntly, could the main char indeed be santa?

Mats Berglinn

No, not the main character, there already been games with Santa as the main character, so sorry but no. Although, you can use Santa as the other characters, that is 100 % okay.

Dave Gilbert

Three famous people?  Rats.  There goes my idea.  Can't there be only one?

remixor

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Mon 01/12/2003 18:35:11
No, not the main character, there already been games with Santa as the main character, so sorry but no. Although, you can use Santa as the other characters, that is 100 % okay.

But I thought the point was that the characters must be from other games (or movies or whatever)...
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Nixxon

same...? me ish' confused ???

cpage

Can I steal a story you wrote mats?

Ben

What about using characters from comics? (syndicated, books, etc..)

Mats Berglinn

Remixor: Ok, forget about what I said about Santa...

cpage: If you mean A Monkey Island Christmas Carrol that I wrote a year ago, sure. It's allowed.

Ben: You can take characters from movies, games, cartoons, books and comics of every kind.

cpage

thats exactly what i meant you are good!
As i have been trying to contact you to say this i'll say it here..
I relly wont be getting much computer time for the next month or 2 but if i can find the time i will turn your story to a game for this months mags
but i probably dont have the time
I have been able to get 5 min on the computer.
but anyway good luck to anyone who enters

Hinders

i´ll TRY to enter this month :-*.... if my hd stop destroy my files... :'(
----

Minimi

HEY! People from the Bible can also be used, because the bible is a book! :) So you could just make the birth of christ game,  with a santaclaus hat ;)

Mats Berglinn

Good point Minimi. If you're in for this competition, then good luck! ;D

It would be a funny thought, Joseph wearing a santa-hat when Santa didn't even exist then (hehehe  ;D). I would like to see that.

Ginny

Hmm at first I didn't have any idea for this months, but my longing to enter this month overcame that and made me develop an idea :)
so I'm starting on the GUI now and hopefully if I work fast enough plus we have hannucah, I'll make it :P

Good luck everyone who enters...

PS: I'm having trouble thinking of a famous character to use....

edit: Ok, got the famous chars, now to work! :P
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk