Lava Blava - Link to site containing DEMO

Started by bigwilly_ttt, Wed 03/12/2003 03:24:02

Previous topic - Next topic

bigwilly_ttt

you are a captain of a vessel who has been captured by a band of pirates and left for dead on a remote island. it is up to you to escape before the island blows its temperamental top. This demo is still a bit in the works- Im working on a  text bar for it, and a few more explanations, as well as revamps of some of the art. but i have recently completed the new interface and fixed some bugs to make it more enjoyable.

http://www.geocities.com/bigwilly_ttt

enjoy

Snake

Keep up the good work, just from reading and looking at it, it looks like it'll be a fun game.

I'll download later,

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Squinky

okay, I checked out the demo (I can't pass up a good pirate game) and I like what you have so far. I'm stuck though
Spoiler

I've got the rope on the airplane, but I can't seem to get the elephant to do anything
[close]

It's still very rough though, but I'm sure your aware of all the stuff that needs work...Anyways, cool start.

bigwilly_ttt

The site will soon be updated with a walkthrough so you can see all of the demo. sorry squinky that specific puzzle was previously impossible to solve but i have since changed some of the dialogues to make it easier.
Thanks for checking out the game.

After

rumble.zip appears to be corrupt. I can download it, but not unzip it.

Also, a tip. Find a program to convert bmp files to jpg files. JPG files use less of your site's storage space, and are faster for you to upload, and for everyone else to download.
As you do more, it'll make a big difference.

bigwilly_ttt

sorry i dont think its corrupt ive just been doing a lot of updating in the last five minutes so it hasnt been downloadable exactly. might try again in a while. Are you talking about for screenshots, or on the game itself?

After

Quote from: Will on Sat 06/12/2003 04:00:30
sorry i dont think its corrupt ive just been doing a lot of updating in the last five minutes so it hasnt been downloadable exactly. might try again in a while.
Okay, that's probably the problem. I'll try again.
QuoteAre you talking about for screenshots, or on the game itself?
I mean for your website. So yes, screenshots, or any other graphics you want on there.
Actually, PNG files are the most suitable, but ... hang on, I'll try to find a link for you.

[edit]
IrfanView is easy to use (open file.bmp, "save as" file.png) and has rather good compression without any need for additional steps.
There are some nice commandline utilities around too. But I figure that you'll want a good viewer while you're at it.

[edit2]
Ok, I haven't finished yet
Spoiler
Got no sail.
The 'extras' were fun, but be careful not to make your code so complicated at the start that you can't finish the game.
I didn't understand the sickthing/parrot bit at all, or why it was triggered by talking only.
BUG:
The first time I tried it, the "Survivor" room wouldn't let me back across the bridge. I think it was something to do with where the sickthing script was up to when I crossed.
[close]
I think the first thing you should do is make sure that the cursor isn't on "do nothing" mode when you enter a room, or finish another mode. Make sure it's ready to WALK straight away.
That makes testing a lot more appealing.

bigwilly_ttt

hopefully the update i just finished has made that puzzle easier after. i did preliminary testing and i think that the survivor bug is now fixed. im working on the png conversion but its not done yet. I do have a few questions though, and im not sure if anyone can help me with it. I havent quite figured out how to make a text bar work and would greatly appreciate any thoughts on that. I know the background art is pretty sloppy, but i put it there as a filler and havent quite decided what direction to go from there. I will post the new backgrounds in the critics lounge soon so look for me there.

After

I don't know what you mean by "text bar", but put together a good description and post in Beginners' Technical Questions, then anyone who knows is more likely to have a good answer for you.

bigwilly_ttt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk