Dragon Slayers (Version 2)

Started by Gemmalah, Tue 16/12/2003 17:41:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Gemmalah

A little bit about my game,
I started in August, It is a school project (media studies) and my first game. No cut scenes as yet they will not run.

As a school project is is designed as a demo to promote the real game and the games compendium(which I may make later) this was the project title.

The game: You play as Chuck Champion, an 8 year old boy, who has to collect weapons to go dragon slaying with his two friends Quinn and Eddie.

Featuring:
320x240 16 bit colour
Lovable charactors
A range of childrens toys (to play with)
'diverse and detailed' backgrounds
Puzzle soving in the confines of the cardboard box.
And a cameo appearance of one of your childhood heroes!

Critique and comments welcome nothing rude, constructive only, thanks.

Get the UPDATED Version of Dragon Slayers.
Updated Version Includes 200+ Voiced Lines, fixed Titles, scrolling credits etc.
Dragon Slayers demo finally finishedGet it here!

WanderLady

Hi Gemmelah,

This is very nice. The art, the idea, the dialogue, the animations are all enjoyable and good.

I have come to an error, though.
Spoiler
Interacting Fifi with Fido causes an error:
(Global script line 402)
Error: MoveCharacter: character not in current room
It happened when I gave Fifi to Fido and she wasn't in the room yet.
[close]

Critique Stuff:
-The title screen went by a little too fast.
-Some animations may have been too slow.
-No sound with the xylophone :(

It was fun, and opens the imagination. You did a good job. But I must ask, Will there be an epic battle, or will you leave the game as it is? :)

asafii

Overall an ok game , I wont really judge you on graphics because whatever you did i couldnt do any better. The storyline however feels a bit childish , i dont know if you are maybe aiming at this market , if you are then go on very good for "younger" children
Some bugs found below
Spoiler
First of all i think you need to update the gui that all the inventory items are on the same screen because if you are left with the rope and the stick it is shown on two different inventory screens where there is more than enough space to show them on one . Also when you return th teddy bear back to the sister and then talk to her she still says that the dog ran away with the bear
[close]

Inkoddi

I'm stuck...

Spoiler
I need a rubber hose or something for the "catapult". I already have the fork and the candies
[close]

Bugs and stuff:

Spoiler
you can talk to roger when he's unconscious, the baseline of the sharpener monument is too low
[close]

WanderLady

Inkoddi,

Spoiler
Check the girl's room again...it's somewhat a pixel hunt
[close]

jason

Very enjoyable game! It's an excellent kids' game with the exception of:
1) Roger Wilco cameo - not too many kids would get this reference
2) Puppy Love - maybe too strong for some parents?

Overall, I personally enjoyed those 2 things but if you want to strictly aim at a childrens' market, I think it would be better without those.

Gemmalah

Thank you eveyone

I will have a look at those bugs and could post an upgraded version soon. I didn't notice them myself.
I don't know why the xylophone has no sound, it did on my computer when i tested it.

I actually didn't think of aiming it at kids really, my homework was a demo but origionally it was going to be an ags animated cartoon of south parkish nature. Thats why the graphics are kiddish,but whist making the game it was going to be ruder exploting the innocence of chuck to play creul jokes on him, but this didn't go down well with friends and family.

My friends thought chuck was too cute to swear, my mum banned any rudeness whatssoever (computers in the kitchen) and i have to show it it my teacher leaving an element of charming to it. The puzzles are easy because it is the first portion of the game, but as i make the completed version it will be harder.

Like there will be puzzles where you have to dress katie up as a princess to get the dragon to come out of the cave, the venture through the cave to resuce her. Then you have to make the super secret ultra deadly dragon trap for real. But really the dragons a nice guy (no cliches for me)

for wonderlady
[/spoiler]What bit is the pixel hunt, i have a sneaky suspition it's the hair bobble? true?[/spoiler]

Dan2552

where did you get the name quinn from? it sounds familiar..

evilspacefart

cute.

autowil

The link is dead. I can't download the game. Anyone know another link to download??

jane

Link worked for me........................I knocked out bloke in park but could still speak to him  :-\   By the way the xylophone worked for me.  A good game and even for adults -  we don't always need violence or swearing in games

Gemmalah

Ok dann I'll let you in on a secret, the name quinn is one I have liked for a long time.
It is from a TV programme on in England a few years ago called sliders, the main charactor was really cute and called Quinn.
Secondary I love the song Mighty Quinn dunno who it is by, it's about an eskimo.
Thirdly, in my first designs quinn didn't have a name, I waited until I had finished to see what name would suit, he is based on someone I know.

Meowster

Okay I'm at a College Computer, but I'll download this when I get home. Anyway, I was just gonna say, I did Beyond Reality for a school project too, and it sucks! It gives too many restrictions on langauge and story content and puzzle difficulty, for a start!

But by the sound of it you've done a really good job. I just thought I'd mention that I share your pain with the School Project thing :)

Scavenger

*poke* Woop! It's been updated. Looks like someone forgot to post here to nudge it to the top. Play it now! *shameless plug because he's a voice actor in it.*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk