AGS v2.6 is now unleashed!

Started by Pumaman, Sat 20/12/2003 00:10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Please don't report problems with older versions in a new release thread. That's a divide by zero, so check what your script is doing in room 6 script line 27.

LOGAN

I just wanted to say this tool keeps getting better and better. Some recent additions make it finally a product that can match itself against any other Adventure Creation Tools, even in the professional corner.

So thanks for the 800x600 hi color possibilities. I know they might be slow but on today's computers (or on the computers running whenever I might finish a game) are able to cope with the power needed me-thinks :)

The new features and list of improvements seems endless with every release. And one of the main attractive things about AGS is the frequent updates and the active community.

One thing I did not like in the new release, the error you get when playing it at christmas with a message I beter should get drunk :) Oh well I wanted to open my gift so I set the date back to sneaky enjoy it :D

Greetings from the Master Of MOTAS :)

Scavenger

Here's something: An editor bug?

If you open a 32bit game while in 16bit desktop when you've JUST OPENED AGS, it errors with 'backgrounds and sprites may not display properly' and exits. BUT if you open that same 32bit game from the Game/File menu (meaning you opened an 8bit/16bit game first) it displays the SAME message and you can edit it as per normal.

In short: From Initial Screen - No workie. From Menu - Does work. It's not really top priority, but its kinda annoying for those WITHOUT 32bit colour.

ratracer

I've been trying out 2.6 and it has great improvements since the previous version I tried (2.54)...

However, there seems to be some kind of a bug when trying the cropping sprite feature: I cropped some sprites (a hundred or so) and it worked fine. "Now", when I try cropping newer sprites it seems to work right (they appear cropped when viewing) but after I save the game and run AGS again, those newer sprites are still with the size prior to the cropping (I repeated that again, one at a time or as a group as the result is the same).

The game is 800x600, 32bit color...  

In any case, congrats, Chris, AGS is even better!!!!

Edit: OK, some more clues about the cropping problem: I also have a testing game at 640x480 16bit, and it happens the same... when? my older sprites were 640x480 (huge, I know) and I could crop them right - my newer ones are 320x240 (and although when I crop AGS delivers the msg: "n sprite(s) were cropped to 52x117" after I save and exit AGS, when I run it again those sprites are still at 320x240...

Edit again: No, that's not it... I tried again: imported some 640x480 sprites. Tried cropping a few - it worked... exit and run AGS again - OK... Tryed cropping some more of those 640x480 sprites - message says it works... but, after saving, exiting and loading game again, the last batch of sprites are still at 640x480... just out of the top pf my head: could it have to do with memory management or something (BTW I'm using Win XP Pro)

Kweepa

When I try to run a game made with 2.6, it pops up a messagebox that says "Failed to your initialize audio hardware" unless I change the Digital Sound from 'Default DirectSound Device' to 'Default WaveOut Device'.

This happened on both machines I tried it on - both were running Win2000 and DirectX 9 I think.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Pumaman

Scavenger: Hmm, it's not supposed to quit, it's supposed to let you continue anyway. But why would you want to make a 32-bit game if you can't run at 32-bit colour?

ratracer: Thanks for the bug report - you're absolutely right. What's happening is that the Crop Edges option isn't marking the sprites as "modified", thus they don't get saved to disk when you save the game. In order to save the changes, you also have to make some other modification in the sprite manager (eg. import a new sprite and then delete it).
I'll get it fixed.

SteveMcCrea: is this a new problem with 2.6? I'm running Win2k with DX9 and haven't seen this problem.

Kweepa

Yes, it's new. I've been writing and playing AGS games from most versions up to 2.6 and this is the first time I've seen it.
I'll check what version of Direct X I have installed here.

[edit] The problem was just my Hardware Acceleration level for Direct Sound. I turned it up to full acceleration and the problem went away. Weird.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Matt Goble

I think this is a v2.6 issue.

The Apprentice II Demo seems to exhibit some severe graphics smearing on my Internet machine, where AGS does not seem to be 'clearing' the screen each redraw, so the text appears on top of each other and the sprites draw each frame on top of each other.

This occurs at both 320x200 and 640x200 resolutions.

Basic specs - 1Ghz AMD Athlon, 256Mb RAM, 8Mb ATI All-in-Wonder Pro.

I'll try it on my GeForce machine later today.

The EXE version number is 2.60.678 but when you select 'Product Version' the value is 2.5.  Is this v2.6?

Matt

Pumaman

That's a beta version of 2.6, which did indeed have that smearing bug (but it only affects some computers). Really, the game needs to be upgraded to 2.6 Final.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk