AGS v2.6 is now unleashed!

Started by Pumaman, Sat 20/12/2003 00:10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Just in time for Christmas, Santa brings you a new version of AGS. If you haven't been keeping up with the betas, this is a fairly major release, so check out the new features below.

* Added AnimateButton, ClaimEvent, DeleteSprite, DisplayTopBar, GetInvGraphic, GetTextHeight, GetTextWidth, LoadImageFile, LoadSaveSlotScreenshot, PlayMusicQueued, RawDrawFrameTransparent, RawSetColorRGB, SetAmbientTint, SetAreaScaling, SetCharacterSpeedEx, SetCharacterViewOffset, SetGUIClickable, SetGUIObjectSize, SetGUIZOrder, SetTextBoxFont, StopObjectMoving text script functions.
* Added plugin API functions MarkRegionDirty, GetMouseCursor, GetRawColorComponents, MakeRawColorPixel, GetFontType, CreateDynamicSprite, DeleteDynamicSprite, and new plugin API hooks AGSE_FINALSCREENDRAW and AGSE_TRANSLATETEXT.
* Added 24/32-bit colour support.
* Added alpha channel support for 32-bit sprites.
* Added room script support for on_key_press and on_mouse_click, so that the current room can handle the input rather than having it all done by the global script.
* Speed enhancement for rooms with relatively few objects.
* Added ability to import PNG and TGA files in the Sprite Manager.
* Added option to automatically outline fonts.
* Added support for saving screenshots into save games.
* Added GUI Z-order support, so that you can choose which order overlapping GUIs are drawn in.
* Added Crop Sprite Edges option to sprite manager, to crop the edges off a group of sprites down to the size needed by the largest of them.
* Added ability to specify character X and Y walking speeds seperately.
* Added Quick Import Multiple Sprites and Export All Sprites In Folder options for sprite folders.
* Added ability to re-order sprites within a folder by dragging them around.
* Added "Assign to view" right click option in Sprite Manager, to allow a group of sprites to easily be added to a view.
* Added script names for views, working similarly to GUI and character script names.
* Added editor option to show outline of all GUI objects, to allow you to find blank or transparent controls.
* Added FOLLOW_EXACTLY feature to FollowCharacterEx, to allow you to easily keep a sprite on top of a character.
* Added Show Usage option for sprites, to find out where they are used in the game; and tied this into the Delete Sprite option.
* Added ability to have only left/right walking frames for characters (just delete all frames in loop 0).
* Increased max GUIs to 40, max GUI buttons to 200.
* Increased max views to 400.
* Increases max objects to 20 per room.
* Added auto-complete for plugin functions and functions defined in the script header.
* Added ability to manually set X and Y position of GUI controls.
* GUI Editor and Font Editor now show full detail in 640x400 games rather than a scaled down version.
* Rearranged options on the main Game Settings tab to make the order more logical.
* Made only the options area of the dialog editor scrollable, to improve its usability.
* Added system.vsync script option to smooth full screen scrolling. Note that enabling this will cap your game frame rate at the screen refresh rate.
* Built-in inv window now sets player.activeinv while using an item on another (to make it consistent with custom inventory).
* Disabled deleting sprites while selecting a sprite for something, to prevent crash if you deleted the old active sprite.
* Made the tabbing order of the controls in Setup more logical.
* IsSpeechVoxAvailable and IsMusicVoxAvailable now return 0 if the user has no sound card or sound is disabled.
* Stopped the user loading in a different room while editing the room script.
* Loading a new room now properly resets the Room Areas undo buffer.
* Disabled anti-aliasing on text drawn on transparent GUIs, to fix the pink effect.
* Improved alignment of portrait with text window when using Sierra-style speech.
* Increased text script stack size to 4 KB.
* Fixed large memory leak which could cause slow loading and Out of Memory errors in games that used TTF fonts.
* Potentially fixed game hanging on exit on some computers.
* Fixed editor crash if you used return without a semicolon.
* Fixed script editor not properly parsing functions where there was a { character in a string.
* Fixed script errors if you declared a variable in a room script with the same name as one which was in the script header.
* Fixed positioning issue with some TTF fonts at 640x400.
* Fixed objects 10 and above not being able to move.
* Fixed changing room settings not marking room dirty.
* Fixed mouse cursor not changing back to arrow pointer in dialog windows.
* Fixed music not always being restored correctly when restoring a save game.
* Fixed narrator speech not being cancelled when the user skipped a text window.
* Fixed GUI textboxes to not allow the cursor to extend beyond the end of the text box.
* Fixed crash clicking scroll bars in save dialog when no save games.
* Fixed rare random crash with small GUI labels.
* Fixed lockup using NewRoom from within the default inventory window.
* Fixed editor not to allow Test Game feature with DOS-compiled games.
* Fixed @overhotspot@ not removing item name if you moved the mouse off of all inventory items but within the inventory GUI.
* Fixed GUI not detecting clicks when it first appears until the mouse moved.
* Fixed GUI buttons being greyed out on Persistent GUIs when "GUIs turn off when interface disabled" was set.
* Fixed parser-in-dialog to use the same font as the dialog options.
* Fixed parser-in-dialog text not being erased when you pressed backspace with the default dialog options display.
* Fixed problem creating GUI controls if you dragged the rectangle up-left.
* Fixed idle animations using loops 4-7 of view, even if "No diagonal loops" was set for the character.
* Fixed following characters so that if you leave a room, then quickly come back, the following character is still there.
* Fixed converting a GUI to a text window sometimes corrupting other GUIs.
* Fixed compiler allowing assignment to string in declaration.
* Fixed crash if game.text_speed was zero (now error out instead).
* Fixed keyboard focus in editor being lost when selecting the GUI editor from the left hand tree.
* Fixed editor crash compiling a script with no right hand side of an operator.
* Fixed crash using nested imported function calls in script.
* Fixed black palette entries getting remapped to dark grey in 256-colour sprites.
* Fixed import rectangle changing size when switching import images if the importer was zoomed in.
* Fixed editor crash if you deleted the last selected sprite.
* Fixed system.screen_height returning 200 even when it was actually running at 240.
* Fixed speech positioning problem with GUIs Turn Off When Disabled setting.
* Fixed crash loading a room if anti-alias sprites was enabled and the room palette was corrupt somehow.
* Fixed fade-in problem with 256-colour animated backgrounds in a hi-color game.

Please download it from the website Download page.

deltamatrix

And along comes da praise.

Well done and Merry Christmas! :)
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Scorpiorus

QuoteJust in time for Christmas, Santa brings you a new version of AGS.
High thanks Pumaman Santa!

** Merry Christmas! ** :D

*unzipping a package

TerranRich

Gah! It's about damn time! :D Now to work on By the Sword... :)

MrColossal

THE hardest working man in show business...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Robert Eric

Great!  And I didn't have to sit on your lap this time to ask for it.
Ã, Ã, 

jannar85

...but I've been a bad boy this year, santa! I don't deserve any gifts!
* jannar85 throws the zipfile on the ground, and runs away screaming
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Spyros

The are so many bug fixes
That proves taht the previous version was full of bugs.
That's a buggy program, I won't be using it anymore.... this year.

GarageGothic

Woohoo, it's final! Now I can get cracking re-importing all my backgrounds and adding out-of-focus/semi-transparent foreground object sprites.

Thank you so much CJ. This is an awesome Christmas present. I hope you'll have time to relax over the holidays after the amount of work you put into this version.

Pet Terry

Ack, serious bug spotted! Yes, I'm using v2.6.

It's kinda like the bug Dave had with RC5, so that graphics get screwy when changing background frame manually. When moving mouse cursor around on the screen it "paints" the background as Dave said in the earlier thread. And I'm using Snow/Rain plugin in that room, so it looks like all the snowflakes and raindrops stay on the screen, kinda like using brush stroke in Paint Shop Pro.

Well duh, I have only two days to finish the game... I guess it would work if I use separate rooms instead of different background frames, that is if you don't get the bug fixed in a couple of days :P

EDIT: Okay, I tested it and it seems to be happening when I use the plug-in. I turned the plug-in off and it worked fine (thanks to SSH) so I guess something needs to be done with that. I also tried it with different rooms and it didn't seem to help, so it doesn't have anything to do with changing background frames.

EDITEDIT: If it's any help, my game is 640x480, 16-bit colours, anti-alias on scaled sprites. The room works fine until the rain/snow plugin gets in action.

EDITEDITEDIT: Just noticed this:
Of course, if your plugin draws over the whole screen (like the snow/rain plugin does), it will have to do a full screen refresh anyway.

So... should I finish the game without rain/snow plugin, or is there a way around this? I got little confused here... ???
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

jetxl

AGS is getting bigger. The help file can't fit on a floppy disk anymore.

Pumaman

Petteri: ah, the snow/rain plugin will need to be upgraded to work with 2.6. Because it bypasses the AGS Engine interface and uses Allegro directly, AGS can't provide backwards compatibility for it - talk to Scorpiorus and see if he's willing to make an upgraded version that's compatible with 2.6.

After

I'm almost afraid to upgrade*.
I'll never finish anything with all these new features tempting me to go the whole hog. ;)
(*typed during download)

Pet Terry

Okay, thanks anyway. I finished the game without the plugin. Great version though! Lots of nice features.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

LOGAN

hehe...

IBK error....

<twitch>

a-v-o

Scorpiorus

PlayMusicQueued (int music_number)
I just found it in the manual. It's a new function introduced in 2.6 but there is no word about in the header post. :P

Pumaman

Hmm you're right well spotted, I've now cunningly edited in my omission ;)

LightBear

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000094 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0043D1D9 ; program pointer is +6, ACI version 2.55.547, gtags (0,368)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

(Room 6 script line 27)

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.
OK  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk