Tune contest! Dec. 26th - Jan. 2nd

Started by Pet Terry, Fri 26/12/2003 20:20:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Pet Terry

Okay, I was going to do something different but it didn't turn out as I wanted so I had to think about something else. So how about this:

Imagine a situation in which you have promised to make a soundtrack for a game. Now what if the game creator wants a tune for a cutscene, something along this lines:
- It's night and the maincharacter (you) walks in a forest.
- Suddenly you discover a cemetary!
- Something seems to be wrong here...
- And then! A bunch of ghost/zombies/monsters etc. etc. starts walking towards you!
- You start running away as fast as you can.

So this means that you should try to make a cutscene music to fit in situation above. Rest is up to you: you can make it cartoony or serious or whatever you do prefer. Remember, even though there seems to be many different scenes, you don't need to change the music that much unless it really is necessary (if you know what I mean...).

Format can be almost anything: mp3, ogg, midi, any tracker format, sid... If you use mp3 or ogg, you may want to reduce the sound quality, because this is not about the quality. So let's say that file size may get over 1mb, but definately not over 2mb.

If you have something to ask, ask. If you think the rules are too hard, you just have to live with it. When making music for game, it's possible to come across something like this. This is not about winning. It's about having fun and getting better. Atleast try something!

Have fun! :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Privateer Puddin'

"Imagine a situation in which you have promised to make a soundtrack for a game."

Shouldn't be hard for m0ds :P

Ghormak

And now for a song from the unreleased adventure game for the Commodore 64 "They Wandered Through The Gloomy Nights Of Doomy Doom". It is insane, silly and dissonant.

sid (3kb) http://www.agagames.com/ghormak/sids/g_cutscene.sid
mp3 (952kb) http://www.agagames.com/ghormak/sids/g_cutscene.mp3
Achtung Franz! The comic

Peter Thomas

This sounds fun.

I will do it..... if I find the time (yes, all 15 minutes of it...)

Although I think I will do the comedy aspect of it. It seems to suit the whole 'zombies unexpectedly sprouting from behind a tree that I was sure was too short to hide anything tangibly dangerous or scary' concept. IMHO, anyway....
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

modgeulator

Alrightey... here's my attempt:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/modgeulator_-_Zombies_Attack.mid

Feedback is welcomed...

EDIT: A brief rundown of my ideas:

I decided to make it exactly a minute long. If I were doing this for a real cutscene there would be exact timings I'd need to fit the music to.

0:00 - 0:18
"It's night and the maincharacter (you) walks in a forest"
A simple music box melody plays accompanied by various ambient sounds of the night.

0:18 - 0:24
"Suddenly you discover a cemetery!"
A cliched church organ presents the listener with associations of cemeteries and death.

0:24 - 0:27
"Something seems to be wrong here..."
The organs chord bends, synth sounds swell.

0:27 - 0:32
"A bunch of ghost/zombies/monsters etc. etc. starts walking towards you!"
I was going for a sound reminiscent of something from a classic zombie/cannibal flick.

0:32 - 0:58
"You start running away as fast as you can."
Fades into wew wave-ish rock music. I was going for something like you'd hear in an 80s slasher movie.

0:56 - 1:00
Music fades, screen fades, transition sound for the next scene...

Pet Terry

<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Peter Thomas

Well.... it isn't comedy like I said it would be, but I really do like this motif.

The link is:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Dark_of_Night.mid

It's only midi (duh?), and while it sounds cool on my computer, it sounds really bad on my friend's. So, I just hope it sounds okay for you.

I've tried to create a really melancholy mood, because I discovered that if I did it 'serious' then it just sounded corny, and if I did it 'comedy', it sounded stupid. This, at least, gives a strange, eerie atmosphere without trying to be too dramatic.

Enjoy!

Damien

Peter Thomas

Damien's song reminds me of the music from '28 days later'. I assume most of you guys have seen it...

If not, you won't have a clue. If you HAVE, you're probably shaking your head, thinking 'erm....no!'

But that's what I thought of, anyway.

Where they're climbing up the 'mountain' of trolleys, and all the infected people are running after them. Or somewhere near the rape scene, when they show that infected 'freedom fighter' a couple of minutes later.... or maybe not...

*sigh*

It sucks to be non-descriptive... :(

Pet Terry

And I should decide which one is the best ::)

Awesome entries! One day left!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Pet Terry

Okay, according to my computer clock it's 2nd, so...

Ghormak:
How cool, the c64 awesomeness! Makes me want to make a game with this kind of music :P

modgeulator:
Creepy! I like this, especially the last half. I can imagine how this would look in a game.

Peter Thomas:
How awesome! Really atmospheric and nice. I could imagine a dramatic cutscene in which the scenes are like paintings which appears within the music. Really good.

Damien:
Wow! This is just great. I like everything in it :)

Sorry for the praise :P

And the winner is...
Spoiler
Damien!
[close]

Congrats, and now... host a new compo, please!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Damien

Sluggo

Damn, I just got back today. This would have been a cool one to do.

m0ds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk