Jimmy Jam ? *UPDATE* mock your socks

Started by Nixxon, Sun 28/12/2003 10:32:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixxon

Should be able to bully someone into hosting it :P
I've manage to alocate enough webspace to host the first chapter apon it's release, around feb/march 04. The first chapter will act as a demo... you know the drill :D ;)

MrColossal

Hey there, I just wanted to offer a little crit on that image. I know it's for a title shot so it may not be as important but maybe you can take it to your other backgrounds and maybe it'll help

The red circles are areas where the parts of the foreground are tangental to parts of the background, it ruins the depth because it seems like they are attached. The gate is the biggest offender because every point touches the background. If you took those points a little farther they'd overlap instead of meet and depth would be preserved.

The red circles at the top: the one where the building's point flows into the hillside, if you pushed that hill down a tiny bit or brought the building up we'd get a better sense of depth, and maybe just rotate that tree branch up a little so it's in the air and not touching the ground like that.

The red squares are there to mark where the colours are way to similiar. Everything just blends together. It's especially bad on the building that just blends into the dirt hill. How far away is that hill? When does that hill stop and the buildig begin? I have no idea. The same with the fence. I think you definetly need to change the fence's colour so that it stands out from the road. Right now one could be confused where that grate is. Is it on the road or tangled in the fence? Obviously I'm being silly, but it's still confusing.

The blue box is there cause I wanted to draw your attention to it, this road is going way far into the image and yet the colours have barely changed. This is one of the parts of the image that can really tell us how deep this image is but it doesn't tell us enough. The overlapping helps and we can tell be foreshortening that it's getting smaller and therefore going into the distance, but changing the colours, even just making them darker [which i wouldn't advise] would help ever more.

The biggest problem with this image is depth and lack of it. I think the reason why is because the colours are all too similar, in your original image that blue building has another blue building peeking out from behind it but it looks like the same blue building. So in my mind the blue building is huge. I would much rather see a blue building off to the left where the brown building is, so that it pops away from the hill colour.

Also I think you should rethink what you're total background should look like. Cause in the buildings the farthest buildings are a dark purple but the Nightmare Before Christmas Hill [hehe for lack of a better name] is complete black.

Just some considerations I thought I should bring up, but either way, rock on and I can't wait to see what your game has to offer us.

Woop Woop,
e.r.i.c.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

scotch

This game looks amazing, one of the best looking games I've seen in AGS.  I bet it really benefits from 32 bit colour :)

Finding hosting should be no problem at all, but 800x600 avis? that sounds insane..

Nixxon

:o Eric :P Cheers for the crit, I'll seriously put your observations into practice... obvious flaws become so cloudy when you've been subliminally viewing something for 7 weeks in all it's progressive stages. Seems I've be making revisions of the intro flic for about a month now :P. I agree about the depth or lack there of, however the blatancy of the depth ‘does' become a bit more lucid when you watch the animated version (clouds roll behind the hills, day-night switch etc etc) Seriously though… Thanks for those great pointers! (most of which wouldn't be too hard to implement either :D).

Nixxon

UPDATE - New Screenie.

Another incomplete one to gander at, I've been having a horde of consistancy problems lately. A lot is in need of revamping, hence delays are imminent. Stay tooned though as I promise to have this baby out asap.

remixor

Good God, how the hell did I miss this thread for a month and a half?  Your screenshots look excellent, man.  I can't wait to see what you do with this stuff.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Vel

Wow, ibex, it looks amazing. And although I am no art expert, I'll give a few suggestions, mainly about the colors of the second screenie. In my opinion, they are too grey(not dark, I suppose it's a night screen). Changing them to a bit more blue or purple hue will make them look more lively. Anyway, these are really amazing! Keep up the good work!

MadReizka

I do music and visual effects:
http://www.distantshitfilms.net/personal/

sedriss

By the time you read this you've already read it.

Czar

OG! they are just perfect. You just made your style. And keep it that way, dont bother  with.... wait a minute... how can a person go up on those bed ladders???
ANyway, i'm wondering how could have I missed this thread too???
We should do a thread somwhere with games with the most promising excellent graphics, plot, originality etc. etc.

And yeah, i think you and Igor,and Erwin ofcourse and whoever is good with flash ( icant remember all of you all the time :p ) should do a association of flash AGSers, and should make loads of tutorials. 8)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Erwin_Br

Great style!  :o Reminds me of ToonStruck, but with a very unique touch of your own.

Can't wait to see more  :D

--Erwin

Nixxon

Thanks guys,
Gonna spend a couple of weeks hand sketching character animations. Good oportunity to lay off BG's for a while and hopefully aid me in some depth perception :D
I'm looking forward to uploading some finalized character animations (Once vector'd and colourd), see what you all think.
Once again kudos for the fuzzy words. :P

Haddas

Nice work! I love it!!! Poor me who uses broadband. It will probably take me up to 20 MINUTES to download this :P.

... Se? I say all these nice things to you Nixxon... Even after you shoved a banana up my ass in IRC!

Nacho

Incredible! As many others, I've missed this thread... and this game looks amazing, 10 for the graphics, I can't say that it's the best AGS graphics I've seen, because that would put down A LOT of games, but surely I punctuate this with a 10!!!

:o  :o  :o
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Moox

Vel

Secret Fawful

Moox

Sam.

I can't believe i missed this. hopefully the lack of updates deosn't mean yet another cancelled project that was going to be great.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk