January MAGS

Started by magintz, Tue 30/12/2003 22:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
BECAUSE I SAID SO... k!

joking

I'm not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

Decided to release rules early, have fun, and congrats to GinnyW:- enjoy the rules

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme- Outdoors

-The game must take place on the outside (i.e. not inside a building, could be a street, could be a forest, could be both or anything else. underground places are also acceptable) for almost all/all the game.
-Most of the game must take place in the past or the future (any time but present). Not 3 minutes ago, unless it's really different. A small part may take place in the present if needed.
-There can be an element of time travel if you wish.
-There must be at least one easter egg in the game (any kind, even a reference). Just as long is it's not too minor. Also, if it's hard to find somehow, even better.
-There must be at least one animated background (something small is good enough).
-There need to be 2 inventory items (that come into play somewhere) out of this list:
cheese
a lamp
an oversized hat
vitamins
a bent spoon
a handle/knob from something
an engine
a brain
leaves
lemon
a toy mouse
something carved out of wood
a strange device
a costume
some popcorn (in any form)
a boot/boots
a 2-pound bucket of plasma
a collar

Lots to choose from .

-One of the characters can be a forum member (not strcitly a must).
-One character in the game needs to have some sort of quirk/craziness/funny talk/physical or mental disorder/past trauma/mystery/whatever.

That's all, hope that's free enough, no restrictions on color depth and resolution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun guys... all games in by 28th!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Evil

Wow, a lot to work from. I swear I will get this month's done.... I swear... ¬_¬

Jae

I don't really know anyone in the forums that well, having only been around for a short time. Can I substitute it for someone famous?

Nixxon

You don't "HAVE" to include a forum member :P

Minimi

euhm this might sound stupid, but I still haven't got a clear view of what an easter egg is. Can someone maybee explain it to me?

Bytheway, alot of rules, I think this is one of the hardest MAGS i.m.h.o. But I'm thinking about a story right now, so I won't start too late :P

Mats Berglinn

Minimi, an Easter egg is a hidden puzzle that you don't have to solve in order to finish the game but it can reveal either a bonus feature, a joke or something very funny. I give you an example that does not come into any game (I think): Say that you encounter a unimportaint character reading a book and is very concentrated into what he is doing. You try to talk to him but he doesn't answer. Then you try to interact (or Push/pull if you use Lucas Art's GUI) in order to disturb him but he won't react. You use a horn to disturb him but he ignore that to. Finally you use a megaphone and that will cause the guy to drop his book and pay attention to you.

Do I make myself clear?

Ginny

Yep, that's a good example, also an easter egg can be a refernce to something, like for example a poster for a game in a bar, if it's not just tiny, I'd consider it an easter egg. Good example is also in MI3- you find yourself in MI1 again in one of the places(or MI2?) and also there is one part (don't remember in which MI) where if you tell guybrush enough times to do something, eventually he will do it and it's just something funny. Anyway, that's an easter egg :)

Jae- The forum member "rule" is just a suggestion someone requested, you can have a famous person if you want, but it's not an obligation :) Same goes for time travel, which is more of an idea to help you think of a story :)

Minimi- Really? I didn't think it's very hard. Then again I like to have many restrictions. It makes it more challenging and competition-like. I've made sure there are enough inventory items there to be used, and the animated backgtound can even be a sign blinking or whatever, like leaves fluttering.

Anyway, good luck all who enter. Next week I won't be here cause my computer needs repairing (Win XP), which is why I definetly won't enter (actually I don't have a good idea anyway, heh). I'll be watching the forums through my mobile phone internet :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

magintz

i'm prolly entering...... maybe, i've done two backgrounds, two characters, and a plot.

But i'm quite bsuy so i may make it at my own pace....
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

The Subliminal Messenger

My game has one indoor room, does that matter?
No one told me there were laws AGAINST Public Nudity!

Ginny

it's alright I suppose :) one room is ok, so long as the others are outdoors :) The main idea is that the story/theme is something to do with the outdoors.

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Ishmael

I will, yes-goddam-sir, enter! I like the rules, something challenging, something fun, something to let your imagination loose on... Does something related to the date the game is ran on count as an easter egg? Like if you run the game on easter, you get an easter egg as an inv item, if you pick it up from the desk, or something? But I already have a few ideas of an easter egg, so that's taken care off...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ginny

Heh yes, that's a good idea for an easter egg. Glad you like the rules :).

Hinders

wheeee! I begun making a small game yesterday, it follows all the rules, so hey! i am in!^_^

PS.
does funny speech(sound) count as funny talk?
----

Ginny

Yeah, I suppose, but the text displayed on screen should also show this somehow, if it's applicable. A mechanical voice probably can't be expressed in the text, for example ;).

Arcangel

;DHappy New Year 2004, ;D

The member of the forum can be me or it should be another

evilspacefart

can the easter egg be... an Easter egg? :P

Ishmael

... like I said ...

Forum member? I believe I have been in one of my games already, and I have a goddam good idea how to put myself into this one too.. (ofcource I wouldn't count that, so it's gotta be someone else, if I am to put a forum member in...) I got some plot ready, and puzzles planned, now I just gotta budge myself to draw...

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Minimi

I'm working on a game too, and this time I'm definatley going to make it. I have at the moment my first background ready. I drawed it on paper, then scanned, then coloured in photoshop :) I really like the result of my first background.

To reveil abit about the game... it's set in the time 1920 or something and it's in Holland. So expect some windmills, tulips, wooden shoe's and cheese :)

Ginny

Mmm cheese.
*laughing fit*
Funny how everything I read reminds me of 'Three Men in a boat'.

Anyway sounds like a great setting Minimi, windmills ares fun :D

TK: Good luck ;)

evilspacefart: sure, if it's understandable from the game that it's an 'extra' then yes.

Btw, incase someone asks this when I'm gone- behind the scenes material in the end of the game is also considered an easter egg imo.

edit: Also, I originally had a magazine as an inventory item, so if someone thinks it fits for their game they could use it.

Ishmael

Errrrr.... as I ran temporarely out of ideas, I was wondering if a book would do for the inventory item list......?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk