January MAGS

Started by magintz, Tue 30/12/2003 22:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
BECAUSE I SAID SO... k!

joking

I'm not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

Decided to release rules early, have fun, and congrats to GinnyW:- enjoy the rules

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme- Outdoors

-The game must take place on the outside (i.e. not inside a building, could be a street, could be a forest, could be both or anything else. underground places are also acceptable) for almost all/all the game.
-Most of the game must take place in the past or the future (any time but present). Not 3 minutes ago, unless it's really different. A small part may take place in the present if needed.
-There can be an element of time travel if you wish.
-There must be at least one easter egg in the game (any kind, even a reference). Just as long is it's not too minor. Also, if it's hard to find somehow, even better.
-There must be at least one animated background (something small is good enough).
-There need to be 2 inventory items (that come into play somewhere) out of this list:
cheese
a lamp
an oversized hat
vitamins
a bent spoon
a handle/knob from something
an engine
a brain
leaves
lemon
a toy mouse
something carved out of wood
a strange device
a costume
some popcorn (in any form)
a boot/boots
a 2-pound bucket of plasma
a collar

Lots to choose from .

-One of the characters can be a forum member (not strcitly a must).
-One character in the game needs to have some sort of quirk/craziness/funny talk/physical or mental disorder/past trauma/mystery/whatever.

That's all, hope that's free enough, no restrictions on color depth and resolution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun guys... all games in by 28th!
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Evil

Wow, a lot to work from. I swear I will get this month's done.... I swear... ¬_¬

Jae

I don't really know anyone in the forums that well, having only been around for a short time. Can I substitute it for someone famous?

Nixxon

You don't "HAVE" to include a forum member :P

Minimi

euhm this might sound stupid, but I still haven't got a clear view of what an easter egg is. Can someone maybee explain it to me?

Bytheway, alot of rules, I think this is one of the hardest MAGS i.m.h.o. But I'm thinking about a story right now, so I won't start too late :P

Mats Berglinn

Minimi, an Easter egg is a hidden puzzle that you don't have to solve in order to finish the game but it can reveal either a bonus feature, a joke or something very funny. I give you an example that does not come into any game (I think): Say that you encounter a unimportaint character reading a book and is very concentrated into what he is doing. You try to talk to him but he doesn't answer. Then you try to interact (or Push/pull if you use Lucas Art's GUI) in order to disturb him but he won't react. You use a horn to disturb him but he ignore that to. Finally you use a megaphone and that will cause the guy to drop his book and pay attention to you.

Do I make myself clear?

Ginny

Yep, that's a good example, also an easter egg can be a refernce to something, like for example a poster for a game in a bar, if it's not just tiny, I'd consider it an easter egg. Good example is also in MI3- you find yourself in MI1 again in one of the places(or MI2?) and also there is one part (don't remember in which MI) where if you tell guybrush enough times to do something, eventually he will do it and it's just something funny. Anyway, that's an easter egg :)

Jae- The forum member "rule" is just a suggestion someone requested, you can have a famous person if you want, but it's not an obligation :) Same goes for time travel, which is more of an idea to help you think of a story :)

Minimi- Really? I didn't think it's very hard. Then again I like to have many restrictions. It makes it more challenging and competition-like. I've made sure there are enough inventory items there to be used, and the animated backgtound can even be a sign blinking or whatever, like leaves fluttering.

Anyway, good luck all who enter. Next week I won't be here cause my computer needs repairing (Win XP), which is why I definetly won't enter (actually I don't have a good idea anyway, heh). I'll be watching the forums through my mobile phone internet :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

magintz

i'm prolly entering...... maybe, i've done two backgrounds, two characters, and a plot.

But i'm quite bsuy so i may make it at my own pace....
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

The Subliminal Messenger

My game has one indoor room, does that matter?
No one told me there were laws AGAINST Public Nudity!

Ginny

it's alright I suppose :) one room is ok, so long as the others are outdoors :) The main idea is that the story/theme is something to do with the outdoors.

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Ishmael

I will, yes-goddam-sir, enter! I like the rules, something challenging, something fun, something to let your imagination loose on... Does something related to the date the game is ran on count as an easter egg? Like if you run the game on easter, you get an easter egg as an inv item, if you pick it up from the desk, or something? But I already have a few ideas of an easter egg, so that's taken care off...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ginny

Heh yes, that's a good idea for an easter egg. Glad you like the rules :).

Hinders

wheeee! I begun making a small game yesterday, it follows all the rules, so hey! i am in!^_^

PS.
does funny speech(sound) count as funny talk?
----

Ginny

Yeah, I suppose, but the text displayed on screen should also show this somehow, if it's applicable. A mechanical voice probably can't be expressed in the text, for example ;).

Arcangel

;DHappy New Year 2004, ;D

The member of the forum can be me or it should be another

evilspacefart

can the easter egg be... an Easter egg? :P

Ishmael

... like I said ...

Forum member? I believe I have been in one of my games already, and I have a goddam good idea how to put myself into this one too.. (ofcource I wouldn't count that, so it's gotta be someone else, if I am to put a forum member in...) I got some plot ready, and puzzles planned, now I just gotta budge myself to draw...

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Minimi

I'm working on a game too, and this time I'm definatley going to make it. I have at the moment my first background ready. I drawed it on paper, then scanned, then coloured in photoshop :) I really like the result of my first background.

To reveil abit about the game... it's set in the time 1920 or something and it's in Holland. So expect some windmills, tulips, wooden shoe's and cheese :)

Ginny

Mmm cheese.
*laughing fit*
Funny how everything I read reminds me of 'Three Men in a boat'.

Anyway sounds like a great setting Minimi, windmills ares fun :D

TK: Good luck ;)

evilspacefart: sure, if it's understandable from the game that it's an 'extra' then yes.

Btw, incase someone asks this when I'm gone- behind the scenes material in the end of the game is also considered an easter egg imo.

edit: Also, I originally had a magazine as an inventory item, so if someone thinks it fits for their game they could use it.

Ishmael

Errrrr.... as I ran temporarely out of ideas, I was wondering if a book would do for the inventory item list......?

Ginny

Hmm well, the book is a bit too common, so it has to be interesting and/or unusual in some way, but yeah, ok :)

sergiocornaga

I might enter for the first time this month.

n3tgraph

I swear I'll make a tune for you evil ;D

what do ya need :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Hinders

I am making progress...looks nice this far ;D
----

Minimi

me too! Now finished 3 backgrounds :)

Ishmael

I've aswel got 3 backgrounds (one of which animated), the main character, and use for atleast two of those inv items (I couldn't find a suitable use for the book after all, but I found another item to use)... So so far I'm doing good :)

Hindersh_sch00l

easter egg done! it is gonna rock!!^_^
Also, 6bgs/rooms made!!
2 puzzles.

Ginny

Wow, great to see so much progress was made while I was away! I managed to reinstall everything anbd just now got the internet connection reinstalled. It's  good to be back :) Keep up the good work everyone.

cosmicr

I'm new to this, but I think I'll still enter. Whats the deadline is it 31st?

Mats Berglinn

Minimi

Ok, as usually, I'm slow worker, and at the last days im working harder, so I am going to finish it in time, though I shortened the game abit onto only 5 rooms  ::)

Are there still people working on other mags-games?

Ishmael

Yes... mine is on a little pause, due to scripting problems of the end scene... and I don't have enough stuff drawn yet... so I may come asking for extra time... but I'm not sure.

----- EDIT -----

Whee, I have the game ready apart for last debuggin, typo scan and musics... :) I should get a screenshot from it to show...

mr_Zipox

Now I'm done whit my game for this competition.
http://www.matfors.net/mr_zipox/TMushroomM.zip
:) Hope you all like it.

Klaus

Okay, it's one day before the deadline and so I'd say we'll start voting in 24 hours from now (see timestamp of this posting). One entry's already here, all other submissions are still welcome until then :)

Ishmael

Mine's basically ready, I just gotta verify the readme file and run final debug...

So the closing is ~ 13:20 GMT on the 28th, right?

Klaus

Quote from: TK on Tue 27/01/2004 15:46:25
So the closing is ~ 13:20 GMT on the 28th, right?
Yes, that's about the time. As the 28th is already very late I hope you all can manage it without additional extra time.

Ginny

Wow, I almost slept through this whole thing. I anticipate your entry, TK :)
I've been very caught up with futuristic design ideas, staying up at night writing ideas that just wouldn't stop coming..
Well, back to earth now, sortof :)

Ishmael

Inkoddi

bugbugbug

Spoiler
If you enter the cave after the dragon's gone the game crashes
[close]

Ginny

mr_Zipox: Forgot to mention, I downloaded your game (took me quite some time), and what Ive played so far is fun, though slightly confusing about what needs to be done, as I am slightly stuck (still I just started so we'll wait and see, heh). I like the style you used for the backgrounds, as its an original one not used often. Ill give you more feedback when I finish it.

TK: downloaded. ;)

mr_Zipox

So it took some time to download the game.... hmm
if you know a better server to put it please upload it there.
If you won't to... ;)

One little hint is that meny items must be used whit other items.
8)

Inkoddi

Zipox: Odd, the download took 2 seconds for me....

If you want to use items with each other move the cursor to the top-right corner

Ishmael

I don't remember how long the download took me...

I'm now uploading an updated version of MPLR where the bug is (hopefully) fixed. Also, some typos are taken care of.... (after banging my head on the wall for 5 mins to get my english spelling correct.......)

Re-download the game, so the crash won't be there to screw things...

Ginny

I played it yesterday TK, and I almost finished it:

Spoiler
The last puzzle is birlliantly refreshing from conventional puzzles, truly bringing the game to life. I have still to mater avoiding the fire, but I will
[close]
:)
Also the characters are very funny and i can tell they are distinct in personality. Animation is nice, I have still to find the eatser egg. Don't tell me though! ;) The trees have nice sahding, and I really like the animation for Mard and for the
Spoiler
fireball
[close]
. Interface is very easy to use.

Zipox- well i dont really mind it taking long, i must've had too much pressure on my connection.
At the moment the only object I have is the initial mushroom, but anyway.

edit: ok then, finished both games now :)
As for yuor easter egg TK, I still can't find it.. I never was too good with finding these things. A hint maybe?

Zipox- the game felt a bit too odd with what caused victory, that is
Spoiler
I didn't seem to need any of the weapons or the dog food. I liked the animation when I used the stange device :)
[close]

Babar

DONT JUDGE YET!!!!
Maybe just an hr more???? its still 28th forum time right? waaaaaiiiiiit
EDIT:
Ok... I guess my post sounded a little weird. What I meant is that I am joining in too. There is still time right? my game is finished now, I just need to know, where can I upload it???
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

mr_Zipox

Ok the game is maby a little bitt hard to finish.
so here some more hints. :D

Use trange device on the strange Man.
Take spade
use spade on robot mouth
then use brokenspade on mushroom.
Then use mushroom stick on robots nose.
take the bottle and put it in the dog food.

(The eastern egg is on the robots head. But you can't take it  ;))

Ginny

Babloyi: Well if the game is smaller than 1 mb then you can upload it on Neole's free space here for a quick solution:

www.2dadventure.com/ags/upload/upload.html

As for bigger files, there are many servers:
http://geocities.yahoo.com/
www.freeservers.com
www.freewebs.com
http://www.tripod.lycos.com/

Some of these have file size limit, and some don't allow zip files and exe files, so make sure you check first.

Zipox- as I said in my edit I finished both games, but I dont remember a bottle, and I didnt need the dig food it seems, as I could pass the dog easily. I dunno maybe the game just didnt indicate that using it had some effect, cause I did use it and nothing seemed to happen.

Babar

wooohooooo
It's less than 1 Mb. No need to go through all those servers. Uploading now.

Babar

:'( :'( :'(
This is not working!!!!!! the file is still uploading. Maybe it is because my file is almost 1 mb (it is 997kb) or that my internet connection is too slow (currently less than 7.2kbs). Maybe I could mail it to some kind soul who could upload it?
OMFG!!! IT WORKED!!! Here is my great game. It is however rather bare of animations and hotspots to click on due to the fact that I just started day before yesterday:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/smiley.zip

Klaus

Babloyi, no need to worry or even hurry. Just take your time and make your post when everything's up :)
I wonder where  there are all the other games (at least two more) announced for the competition in this thread..?

Ginny

Yeah, Minimi and Hotspot***, I wonder whats up with their games... Hotspot Hindersh sent me a short tech demo of his in the begining of the month, and Minimi posted in GiP..

*** I meant Hindersh! I cant believe I confused them lol.

Minimi

Yeah I know dammit... but the graphics took me all the time, and the only thing i now have finished is all graphics and 1 room scripted... and secondly, i had some busy month with school. I'm sorry I couldn't get it finished in a month, but I'll make sure you'll be able to play the game soon :)

Klaus

Okay. No further entries came in so let's start it...

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

The Mushroom Man by Magnus Björk
Smileys Quest 2 by Babloyi
Mards Personal Little Revenge by TK

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Ishmael

There seems to be something wrong with the .tk sites... I get a "Server not found" error when using that link...

And Ginny:
1:
Spoiler
The game does not end after you win the dragon for a purpose
[close]
2:
Spoiler
The main easter egg is related to a minor egg (?), something from another game...
[close]

Hinders

Quote from: GinnyW on Wed 28/01/2004 15:10:48
Yeah, Minimi and Hotspot***, I wonder whats up with their games... Hotspot Hindersh sent me a short tech demo of his in the begining of the month, and Minimi posted in GiP..

*** I meant Hindersh! I cant believe I confused them lol.
Huh??
You´re confusing me ???
Sorry that i didnt finish my game :(
you know..school..and stuff...
but hey! i will still continue on it :D
----

Klaus

Quote from: TK on Wed 28/01/2004 20:05:37
There seems to be something wrong with the .tk sites... I get a "Server not found" error when using that link...
Oh, I see. Well, right now it's working fine again. Anyway the direct voting links should always be available.

Ishmael

Yes, I was viewing the site through the direct address.

magintz

Some excellent entires this month but again its this time of the month again.... no not that time ;)

*awkward silence*

sorry... anyway, as for the winning game....

*drumroll*

The Mushroom Man by Magnus Björk!!

and i was like weeeeeeeeee....... congrats, just think up some rules Magnus and PM them to me when you're done (preferably within 24 or so hours)

Congrats to all entrants and I hope that everyone participates soon :)

Ishmael

Congrats! :) Nice game, Magnus!

AJA

Congrats, Magnus!

I haven't played your game yet, but I accidentally voted for you, so....  ;D (Sorry, everybody else)

Ishmael

* TK looks very angry

Don't mind about the smoke... AJA's house isn't on fire...

Ginny

All the games were great entries, Congratz Magnus :)
I hope to see good rules next month ;)

I can understand how he accidentally voted, as I almost did that once too, and Ive been meaning to mention it- having links with the name of the game give the impression that they link to info or to a download, so maybe more care should be used for direct forum voting. In any case, the games were all fun :)

mr_Zipox

thank you all.
I wasen't thinking any thing about winning when I enterd the contest.
I like peaple who are creative.
and there are  a lots of thats kind of people here.
thats make this world intresting. ;D
Now I make the new rules.
And It will be a lots of blood. he he.....
Hope you like that :D

Mats Berglinn

Blood!? Ewwww!  :P I think I pass next month. Oh well, I can't work on AGS games anyway because of my PC is a bit nuts.

Damien

Duck

Allright, M-rated AGS! You could call it... never mind.

Faster with the rules man, I'm itching to get working.

mr_Zipox

MAGS Rules for feb

The game must take place in a future when almost all people are zombies.

If you have seen Zombie movies like 28days later or the classic movie day of the dead then you know what I'm talking about.  8)

- Must be one animated background.
- One of the characters must be a movie star or a clown.
- Inventory Items who must be in the game is.
One Axe and a book.

No restrictions on color depth and resolution.

And the most important is
Lot's of blood ;)

Good luck people...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk