Tune contest! Jan. 2nd - Jan. 9th

Started by Damien, Fri 02/01/2004 18:00:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I don't mean to offend anyone. I was just disappointed that there are so few entries.. And wrongly blamed the two of you. Really, no hard feelings were intended. I was just pointing out what I think is the most intimidating thing to new people who want to join the tune contests.. When things get too technical, the contest is no longer fun. Remember my last tune contest, with all that boring crap about samples? Nobody entered that contest  :P.

And please, don't give me that "I won't even comment" stuff. If you have a problem with what I said, I want to know. I like to resolve conflict as soon as I create it  ;)

loominous

Not pleased with this quick attempt but anyway, here it is:

Entry

Edit: switched format, hopefully it ll work
Looking for a writer

Ghormak

All these arguments remind me why I like the "make background music for this picture/story/scene" kinds of contests more. :P
Achtung Franz! The comic

Peter Thomas

You didn't offend anyone, Ben. And I agree whole-heartedly: some of this stuff can be intimidating to newer people, so I apologise if I've put anyone off entering this *very cool* contest.

Sorry to Damien, also, for ruining his thread.......

To loominous, I can't hear your entry for the world. Everything seems to 'load' as such, but it just plays back as silence.....

*spanks computer*
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Ben

Loom: I can't play your song either. When I try to open it, the desktop seems to freeze for a while, then Wimanp opens with the song title in the playlist, but can't play the song..

Peter: Nobody ruined the contest. I think it's a problem that almost everyone contributes to unintentionally. It's something we should all think about when posting..

Geoff: Heh.. Your "garage band reverb" sounds a lot better than any garage I've heard. I like it. It sounds natural, not like most digital effects, where everything is so clean and cold sounding..

Gregjazz

Thanks. If you have Sound Forge 4.5 I could send you the effect.

loominous

Quotesome of this stuff can be intimidating to newer people

Irritating would be more accurate I d say. I think it s a matter of talkers versus doers. People have a tendency to dislike the former.

The link has been updated btw, please let me know if it works this time.

Entry, hopefully working
Looking for a writer

EldKatt

Ben, immediately following the "'I won't even comment' stuff" I stated that Peter Thomas already had commented, which should give a major hint to the fact that I agree with him.

Avoiding discussions just because they might irritate somebody isn't very good for a discussion forum, is it? The more important side of this argument is, of course, that it clogs up the thread. That's true. But what other way is there to handle it? (This is an honest question.)

Anyway, though I don't have time to enter, I'll soon listen to the entries and perhaps tell people what I think. :P

Damien

Ok, I listened to all the entries and the winner is:
Spoiler
Berserktails!
[close]
Very nice midi, i liked the trumpet solo, maybe you should have made it a bit faster.

The other two entries were great, but you have "hidden" the trumpet behind other instruments.

Ben

Quote from: EldKatt on Fri 09/01/2004 12:22:25
Avoiding discussions just because they might irritate somebody isn't very good for a discussion forum, is it? The more important side of this argument is, of course, that it clogs up the thread. That's true. But what other way is there to handle it? (This is an honest question.)

I agree with you there. The best way to resolve any dispute is by discussing it. I was just letting off steam before, but if you want to talk about these competitions, I'm all for it..

Geoff: Heh.. Thanks, but I don't have soundforge. What format does it use for effects? VST? I can always use those plugins..

Gregjazz

Ben: unfortunately, the effects are Sound Forge specific. I do have some pretty natty VST effects, though. Even some VST instruments I modeled myself. Could you use Soundfonts?

Anyways, good job, Berserkertrails. I will look forward to next contest!

EldKatt

I have now listened. It's all great.

Well, yeah, I intended to be more specific, but I lack time and stuff.

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Sat 10/01/2004 06:22:26
Ben: unfortunately, the effects are Sound Forge specific. I do have some pretty natty VST effects, though. Even some VST instruments I modeled myself. Could you use Soundfonts?

Sounds very interesting. Me want. ;D

Ben

Heh.. Well,  I'd be interested in any unique VSTs you have. I can always use soundfonts too (good downloadable ones seem hard to find, and I'm kind of wary of buying them without knowing how they sound). If it's not too much trouble to upload them somewhere I'd definitely check them out..

BerserkerTails

Whoah, I won! Sweet! Aherm...

I'd like to thank my parents, for always beli-

Oh um... Thanks Damien, and everyone who entered! I'll defintaley enter the next contest... Or do I start it (Ala Sprite Jam)?
I make music.

Gregjazz

Yeah, just start a new thread for the new contest. Think up some nice rules, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk