Commanderkeenadventuregame

Started by Captain Keen, Mon 05/01/2004 19:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Keen

hello poeple I have started making an adventure commanderkeen fangame but I,m wondering If it is allowed because commanderkeen is copy righted.
what do you think?

here is my first screenshot:  http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/screenshot1.gif

please tell me if you know if it's illegal or not because I don't want to do much work for nothing

Chicky

hey,
welcome to the forums

about the illigalness, its not illigal as long as your not planning on  selling the game all fan games as long as their free source are considered legal.

btw the screenshot looks great, if yuo go to the reality on the norm website then you can find another adventure game featuring commamder keen.

hope it helps

-a chicken

Inkoddi

The owner is 3D Realms and they are still selling it (thumbs up!) but i don't know if you have to ask them first. link: http://www.3drealms.com/keen4/index.html

Wormmaster

You have made cool screenshot  :D
Sounds cool, anyway   :)
I'm Commander Keen fan too.   :)
I have Commander Keen 6. ;)

Gilbert

As far as I know, there's a RON game using commander keen as its main character, so I think it wouldn't be much problem in general (the RON games page is currently down for me, so i cant find more info at the moment).

ScottDoom

I have played all the Commander Keen games, and I remember that screenshot as being a screenshot of one of the earlier Commander Keen games. So you either copied the style perfectly, or you just ripped an entire screenshot from a game.

James Kay

Yeah, those are actual CK graphics. First game, if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt CK is a big cash-cow for 3DRealms so, like someone above said, if you don't plan to sell it you should be fine. And asking for forgiveness is always a lot easier than asking for permission.
They'd probably have a thing to say about ripping the actual graphics though.

That said, the concept lends itself nicely to the adventure game genre, and this could be a very cool little game.

Peter Thomas

Newb27? You won't live that name down, you realise, but welcome to the board anyway.

That screenshot DOES look familiar, though I can't place it exactly, so you could well have done it yourself. Congratulations if you did. Smack on the bum if you plagarised. I guess we'll know in a years(?) time when a game like that would normally be released...
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Captain Keen

the answer is both

the bean with baconmega rocket
commanderkeen
the yorp

are exact copies from the game

I also used exact the same colors

I repainted the mountains and the egdgesfrom a total different view but it supposed to look like keen1 but it's also very different from the origenal game.

this is how the origenal keen1 game looks:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/origenal.gif

Sslaxx

Quote from: Inkoddi on Mon 05/01/2004 19:30:32
The owner is 3D Realms and they are still selling it (thumbs up!) but i don't know if you have to ask them first. link: http://www.3drealms.com/keen4/index.html

No. 3D Realms/Apogee *distribute* the game still. There is a difference. Commander Keen is owned by id Software.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

The Weird Sir

Hey newb27, did you get that keen sprite from CKU (commander keen ultima)? It's got that grainy, splotchy, grossness from the Sprite Page1.bmp file. I would suggest getting the graphics from the Level Keen 4-6.gif file instead because they don't have that gross dithering.

Oh yeah, um, I know this cause I'm, uh, also working on a Keen game. Hope you don't mind, cause I'd hate to have either project go down the drain just cause someone else had the same idea.

Out of curiosity, what is you game's plot? Is it an adventure version of Keen1?

Sslaxx

I've thought about Keen fangames from time to time, here, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

The Weird Sir

Yeah ,well, you probalby won't see mine. I have a very bad habit of never finishing anything I start (I pick and drop hobbies like so many boogers). And "working on" is a pretty gross exaggerration. More like "planning."

Captain Keen

About the sprite I'll just make it egal in paint the colors won't be exactly the same but that doesnt really matter.I don't think its a problem where both working on a ck game because the chance we both finish it is very small.

by the way how far did you come with your game?

dragon_king

WOW good job I can't that from the original.

-

Hi, I checked this forum and found this thread somewhere... I did the first AGS-game with Keen as main character, the little RON-Game "CK enters RON", it`s one of my earlier games and can be downloaded on the RON-page. I made this one, after I have seen that "Monty the Mole" was also used as a RON-character in AGS...

You see if you make a fan-game there is no problem... there is a CK-Forum in the internet (I haven`t visited it for a long time and don`t know the link), which you can find with google. There are many, many guys, who work on KEEN-Fangames. It`s absolutly no problem.

Darth Mandarb

If Captain Keen is still working on this game, please PM me to let me know and I'll unlock ...

Until then ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk