Tune Contest: Jan 11th - 18th

Started by BerserkerTails, Sun 11/01/2004 01:31:15

Previous topic - Next topic

BerserkerTails

Okay, here's the latest tune contest! Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is:

Write a score chronicalling the adventures of these three men through the cave they are entering.

Requirments are that you use only 4 instruments of your choosing, plus any sort of percussion you wish. Size restrictments is that the song must be in any common format (Mp3, Midi, OGG etc...) but can't be more than 1.5 Mb. The more epic and moving song, the better! I'm looking forward to hearing all the entries.
I make music.

Peter Thomas

oh! I am soooooooo totally entering this one.

*drools*

I love these type of comps.

One question, though. When you say four instruments, do you mean in total, or types. For example, could I have 600 bassoons, 20 strings, 5 trumpets and a foghorn? or four instruments at the max (ie, one bassoon, 1 string, 1 trumpet and 1 foghorn)

Edit: I'm asking because of harmony. If I have one flute, can I have it playing a chord? or is it *just* one note per instrument
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Damien

BerserkerTails

Damien: Yeah, it should be. <Changes Topic>

Peter Thomas: Go ahead. You can have harmonies on the same instrument. Just nothing too big. I don't want elaborate 16-part harmonies or anything. Try to stick to 3 or 4.
I make music.

Damien

You haven't mentioned size restrictions for mp3's and ogg's.
Aren't there any?
...cause I've got this idea for this high quality, 20mb, 30sec mp3...  ;)
Not!

loominous

Also have a sort of picky question: Is "strings" considered as one instrument, such as in synthesizers where there s a single "movie strings" sound?

If I write for all the stringsections (1st violins, 2nd violins, violas, cellos, doublebasses) would that be considered as one instrument as well? Would only the parts I use be counted as seperate instruments (cellos n contrabasses playing in unison = one instrument; 1st violins playing one part and 2nd violins playing another one = two?)
Looking for a writer

Peter Thomas

Without meaning to intrude on Tails rules, I think strings should only be one instrument. If the violin/cello/viola etc are all seperate instruments, then people would just all stick em in one 'movie strings' section, to call it one instrument. So it makes sense to count strings as a whole.

BerserkerTails

Yes Peter, strings are their own instument. As much as it would be nice to hear a 6-8 part string section, the song is still only 4 instruments. That doesn't stop you from having different harmonies in one instrument though.  EX: You could have one violin playing a C, Eb, and a G (Making a Cminor triad).

Loominus: I thought the size rules would be apparent already, but I'll change them. Any format that is common (MP3, Midi, OGG etc...) as long as it's under 1.5 Mb.
I make music.

loominous

Cause of confusion:

QuoteFor example, could I have 600 bassoons, 20 strings, 5 trumpets and a foghorn? or four instruments at the max (ie, one bassoon, 1 string, 1 trumpet and 1 foghorn).

If I have one flute, can I have it playing a chord? or is it *just* one note per instrument?

QuoteGo ahead. You can have harmonies on the same instrument. Just nothing too big. I don't want elaborate 16-part harmonies or anything. Try to stick to 3 or 4.

Since you said "go ahead" to his whole question and also since playing multiple parts on a flute isn t possible it implied that you d consider 2 flutes or more as a single instrument, so very apperent no.
Looking for a writer

Gregjazz

Nice! I'm not sure I like the drums, though. That piano part is definitely awesome.

EldKatt

So a string quartet would count as one instrument? Hmm.

Gregjazz

Okay, here's my entry:

The Cave of The Groove Monster

I can't help it, I've got a bad case of the grooves!

Peter Thomas

Everyone say 'hello!' to my entry:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Majik_of_the_Cave.mid

The instruments I used were (in case you can't tell):

Piano, French horn, Treble Strings and Bass Strings (I know... 'strings' were meant to be one instrument, but I had too many harmonies to call it one...) As well as the usual percussion.

Basically the 'story' behind the song is this: The piece opens with a surreal piano motif to declare the kind of wonderment you feel when you first discover something uncertain. The motif becomes a little more developed as they venture into the cave, and then becomes (slightly) dark and mysterious as they exlpore. Then there's the typical 'happy ending', mainly because I got frustrated and just wanted to submit an entry, but I hope you like it anyway   :)

Ben

My somewhat craperiffic entry:

Cave Where All the Bodies Are Stashed

Instruments:
1. Overdriven guitar
2. Bass strings
3. Synth guitar belltones
4. Hammond organ

Didn't really take much time to work on it, and I had trouble with the synth (my tracker transposed the notes to a different key when I rendered the WAV, so I had to replace it with a shitty sample). I guess I'm lucky I can blame the computer when my music sucks  ;)

BerserkerTails

Well, all the entries were brilliant... So I thought I'd comment on them ALL!

Cave where all the bodies are stashed:
   This reminds me very much of Pleurghburg! Definatley the music that would fit the best as a background song in an adventure game.

Majik of the cave:
   A very fil-score, epic peice. I love the different movements, and the segways into them are flawless.

Cave of the Groove Monster:
  Oooh, time to lay down the funk! Could the monster be perhaps Dr. Funkenstein, as sung about by George Clinton? I love the 12-Bar blues progression and this one doesn't fail to please. Sounds like something my funk band, Thruster Bomb, would play.

Happy Hobo's Cave:
  Definatley brings out imagery of the artic, and of an ancient civilization. Good stuff!

Cave's Wonders:
  Love the ending, and the piano part. When it kicks into that harmony... Oooh, goosebumps.

The decision has been long and hard, with many a winding turn... But I've decided who one the battle in my mind. The entry that came out on top was...

Majik of the Cave!!!

With it's moving peices, and very movie-like qualities, I thought this should be the explorers theme for the cave. Or at least the overture. Now... Who to direct the film... Spielburg?

Oh and Peter Thomas, you now have permission to begin the next Tune contest! Hopefully I'll have the time to enter it!
I make music.

Peter Thomas

Yay ;D

Me = Happiness.

Can't wait for the next comp.

BerserkerTails

Whoops, put Geoffkahn instead of Peter thomas in that last post. So yeah...

Peter Thomas, YOU have permission to start the next tune contest, XP
I make music.

Gregjazz

:) I knew my entry wasn't the attitude you were looking for this contest, but I had fun anyways! Dr. Funkenstein... hmmmm...

On to the next contest, and I'll try harder this time!

EldKatt

YEAH! I missed it! Go me!

I'll do something for the next contest. Yeah, right.

Migs

Very beautiful, Peter Thomas.  You really paid attention to the idea of "chronicling" a journey.  The song you wrote truly tells a story.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Peter Thomas

*blush*  :)

Thanks, migs.

I just wish Geoff would *hurry up* with the next comp... it's been nearly four days with nothing to write music for  :'(

It's killing me...

Peter Thomas

oh right..... I see..... beserker changed geoff's name to mine... apologies...

BerserkerTails

Yeah, that was me and my bad memory. I put your song down as the winner, and for some reason thought that Geoffkahn did it. Whoops!
I make music.

Fuzzpilz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk