AGS 2.6 SP1 now available

Started by Pumaman, Sun 11/01/2004 15:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

The previous method of having a single letter for minor updates (eg. v2.5a) seemed to be confusing some people into believing they were beta versions and whatnot. So, I'm taking Gilbert's suggestion and going the Microsoft route, so this will be AGS 2.6 Service Pack 1.

Changes from v2.6:
* Editor now checks for invalid colours in imported walk-behind masks since they could cause strange effects in-game.
* Fixed FadeIn not being skipped when skipping a cutscene.
* Changed editor's Test Game code to try and fix problems some people are having with it.
* Fixed editor importing of some 16 and 32-bit BMP files which didn't work previously.
* Fixed crash on game startup if you deleted the default mouse cursor sprite.
* Fixed cropping sprites not marking them as dirty (and thus the changes were not saved to disk).
* Fixed Player Enters Screen (After Fadein) not getting run if there was a blocking command in First Time Enters Screen.
* Fixed crash in 800x600 games if a background smaller than 800x600 was imported.
* Fixed crash if you used new-room dialog script command inside a dialog run by a room interaction command.
* Fixed crash with continuous scaling areas if the min was set to the same as the max.
* Fixed rare editor crash after changing colour depth.
* Fixed problem with downgrading 32-bit alpha sprites to 16-bit after the game had been running for a while.
* Possibly fixed problem with music changes within cutscenes.

As always, backup your game before trying out an unofficial version.

See the download page for download links.

Gregjazz

I finally downloaded 2.6 yesterday, and already you've made bug fixes. I'll try to get a copy of this to test if I have time.

Good work!

Joseph DiPerla

Holy Crap Chris!!!! Dude, you need another vacation, you work too hard...

Ever heard of Girls, jobs, sports???

Just kidding, I am pretty sure your balanced. GREAT JOB AS ALWAYS!!!!!!

You Rock! You are an inspiration to us all for adventure games.

If we had a PNC Adventure game Hall of Fame, I would nominate you.

JD
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

jannar85

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Gregjazz

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Sun 11/01/2004 20:54:15
Ever heard of Girls, jobs, sports???

Oh, he's heard of them all right. What amazes me is that he apparently chooses to ignore them. :)

SSH

This is a misleading error message rather than a "real" bug, but when it says "You already have that GUI or Script name" when setting the script name of a Character, it should also now mention that it could be a view name too, since they have the same namespace. It took me ages to work that out: "But I don't have a GUI or Script name like that already"...  >:(

Now to rename my view to MayaWalk instead of Maya...

Pumaman

SSH: well spotted, I'll fix up the error message.

edmundito

Sigh, I'm still unable to Test Game properly for the first time (as in, boot up computer, run editor, test game and it freezes, but the second time it just runs the game)... There's something up with my computer, but why did it choose AGS?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Ghost

i had that problem with ags 2.56 when i used the dott template proscrito made: first go the game froze, second try: everything was fine. other templates, including one i did myself, worked all right.

CHRIS: You should know that by now I have made myself an AGS Fanshirt and started to wear it once a week down at my university. He. Whenever someone asks me about it, he won't get away without a two-hour-praise about how great it is!

Pumaman

Quote from: netmonkey on Sun 18/01/2004 16:09:36
Sigh, I'm still unable to Test Game properly for the first time (as in, boot up computer, run editor, test game and it freezes, but the second time it just runs the game)... There's something up with my computer, but why did it choose AGS?

Hmm, I really don't get this. I'm now using the last ditch attempt of calling the Win32 CreateProcess function manually, so if it's still not working I'm afraid I'm all out of ideas about what else to try. Is there any pattern at all to people who the Test Game feature doesn't work for?

deltamatrix

I have the same problem. I hav to do ctrl-alt-del to escape the situation. The 2nd time it works. Seems to have gotten worse though since you modified the test game part.

I have Win XP

Pentium 4 2.0GHZ

GeForce4 MX

256 RAM

BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

James Kay

Yup same here. Still have to test via Setup Game / Save & Run. And doesn't always shut down when finished either (have to ctrl-alt-del it away).

Intel Pentium 4   /  2.4GHz
512 Mb RAM
Windows XP Professional (Japanese)
NVidia GeForce4 MX 420

Edit: Using 2.6 SP1 for most of tonight it seems to shut down properly more often than before, but it was always a gamble and I might just be having a lucky night.  Still doesn't shut down properly occasionally though.

Ryukage

I haven't tried the Service Pack releases so I don't know if the freezing problem affects me, but here's my computer info anyway since I had the taskbar problem:

Win XP Home SP1 (and all critical updates since)

P4 2gHz

ATI Radeon (don't remember specifics right now)

256 megs
Ninja Master Ryukage
"Flipping out and kicking off heads since 1996"

Kinoko

Wow, I'm really impressed with the updates. As soon as I started fiddling with v. 2.5 and noticing a couple of things that coupld be improved, a new version with exactly what I wanted comes. As soon as I find a tiny problem with that, a service pack comes out that fixes THAT little problem.

Thanks for all the back breaking hard work! ^_-

rtf

Chris, you know what you should do?
After you make the next version of AGS, you should take a break from updating and make an AGS game.
I mean really!  The only game you have made is the demo quest.  You should make a big game with a long story and cool animations and funny dialoge...

You've created this monster, now harness it's awesome power to rule the TCN awards...
I fail at art.

Gilbert

Heh no, in that case he will only use teh default sprites or draw new graphics look very much like the default ones (strange...), teh result is, many people dare not to play that, even though it can must be a true masterpiece.
I'll just recommend him to rest, not to work hard for a game, if he decides to take a break from updating AGS, hmmm maybe updating teh DOSUser page is an even better idea...

BTW this version had been released for a month+, so he's actually not updating it that frequently at the moment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk