'Billy Bob's Wild Night' released

Started by Zen, Mon 02/09/2002 09:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

You are BILLY BOB, a fat hillbilly trying to get the grip of reality after a REALLY wild night. You start in the worst neighbourhood you can imagine, and after that it all gets worse!
Find all that you have lost so you can ride home in your rusty pickup. A good spanking ahead!

The game is avaiable directly from my homepage:
EDIT: NOTE: Link is known to be broken
http://hem.bredband.net/b100575/c/gameindex.htm

Have fun :-)

jannar85

It's a good short game, but I found a few bugs.... :P
It was fun anyho' :)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

LGM

Dude, are you sure you are using the latest edition? You said it's a very old style... hmm

Zen

Hey, be gentle with me, heh! Can you please inform me of the bugs you discovered...I hope I can clear them up a bit. And again, thankyou for trying it out :-.

2ma2

Öj.. du är ju svensk! Ã,,nnu en dÃ¥ :) PÃ¥ mina, Chrilles, Vargtass, Andails, rorschachs och de jag nu lyckats glömma hälsar jag dig välkommen till forumet!

About the game then. We'll, I mostly amazed by the fact that you kept the palette supplied with AGS instead of making your own or switch to highcolor. The bugs, which I presume is the one's jannar mentioned, is when you talk to the lady in the xxx club. The characters turns into the blue cup now and then, which is probably that you assigned an idle view with an empty slot or simlar.

Otherwise it's mainly the gameplay. It took me a fair deal of tries before I realised you had to walk up to the door. Also, using the same replies for every cursor mode and such is kinda annoying, you don't know if it's a mistrake or not. Finally there's the excessive use of walk-to points, which makes the character walk to spots when looking at stuff, but then nothing else. I highly recommend you to avoid that :)

Otherwise then. We'll it was a nice tryout to learn AGS. It's wise to learn to handle the basic functions without making an epic storyline or similar, yet it's not something that'll gain much fame within the community. If you polish it, maybe switch to highcolor and then re-import the gfx, it'll be a fairly good first game and you'll get much more nicer feedback.

It may look like I'm slaughtered your work, but you could have done much better with small efforts. Graphics is low-priority, but the gameplay is not very good, due to the facts mentioned above. Increase that and you're set! :)

cpage

okay
1 the blue cup thing

2 you can walk on the desk in the club

3 It boots you out of th game if you try to touch the hag

4 a few minor spelling errors (eg. "shure" = sure)

other than that i agree re-improt the graphics in hi-color
Nice first game keep up the good work

The creator

Tack så mycket, grabbar!

Ok, some newbie questions then: Do I need to re-import ALL the images if I want to turn it into hi-res? That is a boooring job. And the big question: The game is actually baptized as 'test3', but that was so boring I re-named it to 'TheWildNight'. But that gave the effect that I am unable to use the WinSetup-program with it. I went back to the editor and looked for a way to re-name it so that Winsetup you grasp the new name, but I found none. HOW DO I RENAME IT? It looks so much nicer in a standalone window, see. I am glad you gave me feedbacks of the bugs, since they seems to be minor ones (except the graphics-issue) that I will try to correct. I had some initial problems with the 'Interact with' command and got lazy using the 'Any touch...', and that give some confusion here and there. Ok, all help is good help, so keep posting, guys!

A regular designer: "If the game work, dont touch it."
A hardcore designer: "If the game works, it need more features."

BR/Daniel (Z)

2ma2

Rename the game folder to the name of your choice, then open it up in AGS edit and compile it.

Also, yes, you must re-import ALL the graphics. The first rule of everything is to set up your palette (or ditch it and use highcolor) before doing ANYTHING AT ALL. :)

Also, being lazy is EVVVIILLL! These things take time, let them take it. I've been working with my project for a year+ now, and it's not even near completition. Sure one get bored. But you don't work all the time, and now and then you feel the inspiration bubble up and you get loads of work done :)

m0ds

I shant play this game until i'm reassured that it stars Billy Bob Thornton.

;) :p
m0ds

Hudang

Hey,

I like what you have tried to do with this game... The idea of puting 3d Graphics in is good, if you could get the pallete right. Personally, I'd of changed to Hi-Colour, just to make it look nicer and that would mean that all the effort you put into the graphics wont be wasted.

Found one bug, when you click on the door to the left of the screen in the XXX club, it says: "Display Message could not be found". Also, I'd add more hotspots, you cant use the eye for anything in most scenes...

Regards,
Hudang

Zen

Thank's again, guys! Well, I tryed to re-name the folder to TheWildNight, but AGS only allow up to 8 character names. And now the name is set in the downloadpath online, so....fulscreen it is....bummer!
I did some errorcorrections. Cleaned up the walkable areas a bit, got the mistress to be gentle (bugfree), cleaned up some hotspot points (but I leave them in the Bar, since it should be an annoying search there, heh. I also found some more bugs out on the highway that I cleaned. AND, I re-made the graphics for the actor, since he was red as a cherry on his cheeks and got the coffeecup frame, but I don't think I will do anything else. Instead I will turn my NEXT game into Hi-Color....darn, now I promised another game! Well, maybe a real adult game this time, with Hi-rez Poser-girls and not those cartoon-dolls, eh? What do you say, would I be banned if I did that? Well, I bow before you guys!
Tack så mycket, grabbar. Vi hörs :-)

Igor

Really funny game. I like it!
Unfortunately i didn't come very far. I got xxx flyer... now what?

>>Well, maybe a real adult game this time, with Hi-rez Poser-girls and not those cartoon-dolls, eh?<<
Noooo... Not Poser girls! ;) It's much more fun the way it is now.

Me

Igor: Did you get into the bar yet? You need a key. Now where is the last place you would find a key? Check somewhere outside the CLub XXX

AmazingJake

I'll be honest with you, I thought the graphics were intriguing, the plot was downright stupid, but the concept was funny. Instead of making a whole other game, work on making this one a little better, it COULD be the next Leisure Suit Larry, only starring a redneck instead of a Lounge Lizard. Or kind of like Dude, Where's My Car meets LSL meets Deliverance. I just love crossovers :)

One thing that gets to me in game downloads is broken english. I know I'm a bastard for bitching about it, but maybe you should do the programming and initial script writing and have someone else do the polishing up on the script if you're going to do it in English.

Another thing, some of the puzzles don't really make sense to me, like finding the key to the bar where it was, or finding your car keys where THEY are. And I STILL haven't found the wallet. I thought I had, but spent five minutes clicking on a blue square in the bar before I realized it wasn't anything I could use. Try using more hotspots and more messages in those hotspots for different interactions. That's what really wore me down. Oh, and while I'm on the subject of more messages, when I found the key, I still wandered around in those three screens because I didn't even know I HAD it. A message to notify me when something is added to my inventory is pretty much mandatory for a good game.

The game crashed twice when I played it almost to it's entirety. Once, I clicked the interact icon on the spanking girl and it crashes with an "Illegal Message #" error. Same thing when I click on the right trash can in the alley.

So, to synopsipize (that's not a word, so nobody pretend it is) you could do better graphics and story-wise, but the concept is pretty solid. Add in  a few more plot twists, a few more items and a better story, and Bubba's Wild Night could be the best thing since Larry Vales.

Sorry for ranting like that. The game had me cussing at my computer at one point, I was so confused. I don't mean to rip apart your programming, I did like how you did conversations, very cool and very original. Like I said, the concept is great. But...you just gotta work harder at it.

Don't worry. When the Spud Barry demo comes up, you can pick apart every bug in the place. That's what the forums for.

And now, a quote to sum up my post:
"I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fXcking bastard."
-From Dusk 'til Dawn

Andriws

Ok. Is everyone here now?
I wanna ask: HOW TO FINISH THAT GAME? Can anyone make me a step-by-step tutorial?
My games are good because they are lame!

Primus

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar)

Pumaman

Considering that this game was released almost 2 years ago, and that the author's account has been deleted (meaning they didn't log in for 10 months), I seriously doubt this game is coming back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk