AL-QUEST 1 is now complete

Started by Baron, Fri 30/01/2004 04:56:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Announcing the completion of AL-QUEST 1.

DETAILS: This is my first game.  The resolution is 640x400 and it runs on the default GUIs.  It's about a guy called AL and how he lives in a rat infested apartment that he can't afford -as you may have guessed, it is semi-autobiographical.  Game length is around the longer end of the 'mid-length game' mark, or the shorter end of the 'long game' mark.  The graphics are all my own -I realise an art class wouldn't kill me, but it didn't turn out all that bad.  Definite improvement is tangible after the first few rooms.  The spirit of the game is 'cheerfully pessimistic'.  There is no nudity or profanity, but there is a smidge of what might be interpreted as violent behaviour.  The game is not very difficult if you've played this genre often.

This game is available at my website:

www.freewebs.com/madhatter13

Totoro

Quote from: BaRoN on Fri 30/01/2004 04:56:23The game is not very difficult if you've played this genre often.

Come on, you should not say that!  ;)

Nostradamus

So is this the full game or a demo?
The webpage says it's a demo

Inkoddi

I refuse to download anything that takes longer than two hours >:( :-\

Baron

Quote from: Inkoddi on Fri 30/01/2004 22:20:03
I refuse to download anything that takes longer than two hours >:( :-\
If this game takes longer to download than 2 hours than your machine is even more pathetic than mine.  
Honestly - I have downloaded the 6MB zip file in 6 minutes.  My friend told me it took 20 min.  If it takes longer than 2 hr. well...firstly, you're right, it's unacceptable, but secondly it's worth it (!).   I will see if I can resolve the problem.
                                                                           BaRoN
P.S. The game is a demo in so far as it is not 'finished', which in my vocabulary means 'completed to a high degree of perfection.'  The game is complete -35 rooms, playable and beatable.  There are, however, certain effects that remain to be added -namely some music and an animated intro.  But the game itself is done.

MillsJROSS

It's taking my machine about 2 hours to download, and I have a T1 line, so it's not my end. Ill give you feedback if it downloads.

-MillsJROSS

Nostradamus

Well it's a very fun game in the spirit of SCI Sierra games. Good humor too.

Problem is - there's a bug!

Spoiler
When I use the sharp can on the victim mouse
[close]
the game exits with the following message:

[Global script line 230]
Error: NewRoom: requested 2 room changes within one script

Baron

Can you tell me if this error occurred after...

Spoiler
...you died?  For example, did you die and find your way back out of the suburban maze at some point before you went into the cave and experienced the error?
[close]

jane

Its been downloading for almost two hours and still a way to go...........
:-\

Timosity

I'd suggest moving to another free server as freewebs is one of the worst in terms of d/l speed, many people have tried it and unless your game is less than 1MB it is pretty useless.

If you want people to play your game check out this thread

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=7920

I too have high speed cable and it says 2 hours to d/l

Nostradamus

BaRon yes that is what happened but it still should be fixed

Baron

I have been on this bug awhile -I have a few new ideas what might be going on.  I will try to fix it as soon as I figure it out.
REGARDING DOWNLOAD TIME: My girlfriend's brother has graciously put up a mirror-link for downloading AL-QUEST 1.  The link is at:

http://www.tomauger.com/madhatter/AL-QUEST_1_REVAMPED.zip

You can also get to this through my website.  The download time on my computer is > 1 min.  I am a bit disappointed in freewebs -at first the download was quite fast (considering it was free) but it has gotten progressively slower.  I will be shopping around for a better host.  

remixor

I haven't played the game yet but I got speeds of 300k+ from that mirror so it looks like you're all set.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

miryoku_81

Quote from: Nostradamus on Sat 31/01/2004 18:11:59
[Global script line 230]
Error: NewRoom: requested 2 room changes within one script

I got the same error message as well

Spoiler
I died and found my way out of suburbia and then still got the error message when I tried to free the mouse.  Am I supposed to do something to the kid on the bicycle? I also can't find a way to get the gangster to leave the dumpster so I can get some money to buy something from the convenience store to get the matches.
[close]

Baron

There's nothing you can do to the kid or in suburbia -kind of like just in real life.  The rat cave glitch is unfortunate -really the best thing to do to avoid this is not to die before that part.  I'm working on an updated version that will hopefully fix the problem, but that doesn't really help you.  If you're want some solutions I have a walkthrough that can be downloaded from my website at www.freewebs.com/madhatter13.  If you're just looking for a hint, how about this:

Spoiler
There isn't any money in the game!  So, to get the matches out of the convenience store I'm afraid you're going to have to do a bit of shop-lifting.  If only there was someway to distract the shopkeeper....
[close]

miryoku_81

Spoiler
I replayed the game and tried to free the rat WITHOUT dying first but I still got the same error message as before.  I think I'll just wait for the fully debugged version to come out to play this game again
[close]

Phemar

Great Game! Just NOT...AHHH!...Surburbia, noooo!!!!!

Is there any way out of surburbia?

Baron

Regarding suburbia.....
Spoiler
There is a way out.  There are actually only nine rooms in the maze, but the way they go together is kind of counterintuitive.  What you want to do is keep walking left.  If that doesn't do it for you after 4 rooms than go up or down, and then continue left.  Eventually you'll come out.
[close]

Baron

Regarding programming bugs discovered over the past two weeks: I have just completed a revamped version of AL-QUEST that fixes these problems (and a few that weren't discovered....).  The new version is available now at my website (www.freewebs.com/madhatter13) at the very bottom of the main page -however, as this link is well known to be a frustratingly slow download, I will suggest that you wait for me to get it up on the mirror-site (unless you have a lot of time on your hands...).  The mirror-site link should be available sometime Feb 9.
       Feb 10: The mirror-link is now up:  download away!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk