The Dead Walk! (Minor Update - 2/20/04)

Started by Nine Toes, Mon 02/02/2004 07:14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizz

yeeeehehehessss...

gotta tell me when this is done, right?

Nine Toes

Olleh!

It's been a while.  I don't really have anything new to report... I've been tinkering with the scripting a lot lately.  I've just been trying to get the game mechanics working... I've done a little bit of artwork too, mostly ways that you can kill zombies...  

I've finally got the title screen put together.  This isn't the final draft of it, but this is generally what it should look like:

I'm looking for a few voice actors, as it were... I would like a couple of people to just record some random grunts, groans, moan, screams (zombie noises basically, male and female).  You don't need to apply or anything, just record a few noises and send them to me; if I like them, I'll use them in the game.  I might also want one man and one woman to record a few sounds for the two main characters (but I'll repost with details when I finally decide to do this).

Other than that, nothing new to report...

Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it.

Tarantula:  Hell yeah, I'd love to do something like that!  (later on, of course... I'm busy with school, and finding a new job and everything right now)  Yeah, I remember the one pic you posted a while back... I was kinda wondering what it was for ;) ...  Your artwork is really amazing, I love it.  So, yeah, I'll help you.  Gimme a hollar when you want to talk about it/start working on it.

Fizz: Of course I'll let you know when it's finished, bud!   ;)
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Kal-El

WAHEY!!! I LOVE this idea - such a simple idea yet very entertaining at the same time. I also like the idea of setting the game during sunset, as this time of day always seems to have a special feeling to it if you know what I mean?

Your pal, Daz.

Rincewind

Heh, Jekyll, you rascal... I bought and watched "Day of the Dead" yesterday, (Along with some italian horror-film; "The Beyond" - Don't watch it, t'was total rubbish...) and I saw to my surprise in one of the first scenes how a newspaper flips up and reveals the headline "The Dead Walks!"... Ahem...

...You're planning on making constant George A. Romero-references throughout the whole game, aren't you? :)  

Azure

I'm up for doing some voice acting! how long did you want the clips and I shall do some random randomness
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Nine Toes

Rincewind: heh, yeah... I might make a few little Romero references throughout the game, whether I do it on purpose or accident.  Did you hear about the new Dawn of the Dead remake that's coming out?  It's coming out in theaters here in a few weeks.  I'm psyched!

I just bought a gamecube and I've been playing the remake of the original Resident Evil... they've got a lot of cool ideas in that game that I wish I had thought of earlier... Like burning the zombies after you kill them the first time, so that they don't come back a second time even stronger.

I guess what I've been unconsciously trying to do with this game is throw in little bits and pieces of all my favorite zombie flicks and games.  So like I said in the very first post in this thread, it's a Resident Evil clone of sorts, plus you've got the title screen that I swiped from Day of the Dead... but I can't give away all the little secrets... you'll just have to wait and find them for yourself! ;)

Azure: For the zombies, only about a second's worth... you know... just moans, grunts, groans, etc... just use your imagination.  

As for the two minor voice acting parts for James and Kristin... I haven't quite gotten their lines worked out yet.  It will probably be a few screams, grunts, and "NOOOOO!" (things like that)  But I'll post when I'm ready to do that.  I'd like to do a couple of cutscenes... but I'm a really bad animator... heh  ;)

I guess while I'm here, I'll give you all a little update on the game....

There's not much to tell.

I've been busting my ass at my new job, I work almost every day (usually at night, and that's normally when I do all of my work on my game...)

I'm not giving up on it though... it may just end up being post-poned a couple of months.  I'M GOING TO FINISH THIS GAME IF IT KILLS ME!  (...in which case, I'll just rise from the dead and finish it then... ;D)

rtf

Tell us if you need beta testers  8)
I fail at art.

Rincewind

Ok, that's just what I want to hear... :) The more references, the better... Hehe...

Yeah, I saw some banner promoting for it, and I'm a bit doubtful... I haven't seen the new version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(I love the original...) either, but I'm generally against remakes as a phenomenon all together...

I did watch the new version of Night of The Living Dead on dvd, with some new music and new scenes. In my opinon it just destroyed a lot of the atmosphere in the original, though. Added a higher cheese factor as well... :)

And count me in as well when it comes to beta-testers...  

spud

yeah ill test it aswell ive only just seen this post and it looks ace i hope youve not abandoned the game

Nine Toes

Oh no, I haven't abandoned it.  In fact, I'm working on it as we speak.

I have to try and get as much of it done as I can in the next 2-3 weeks, because I'll be moving out on my own (out of my mom's house), and it'll probably be a while before I can get a computer of my own, or even have the internet hooked up in my apartment.

I've gotten a lot of the house finished, I drew up plans for the entire house and made little notes about what's going to happen when and where.  I haven't gotten much done on the garage, and absolutely nothing done on the barn.  I've got about 7 zombies made, and I had to do a little tinkering with their walkcycles and such (seeing as I had to separate their torsos, heads, arms and legs into separate characters, and they won't all animate at once...)

As for the story, I'm going to try and not give too much away here..., but there's going to be more than one way to finish the game.  But it's tough, because I'm trying to work with an almost non-existent storyline (typical zombie movies don't really have a story to them anyway).

Maybe I'll post some screenies later on tonight, if I'm feeling generous. ;)

HillBilly

Quote from: Mr. Hyde on Fri 20/02/2004 19:42:17

[Picky Bastard] Wouldn't he hit the chest and not the head?[/Picky Bastard]

Oh, and I hope it gets done soon. I'm getting tired of "The House of the Living Dead!".

Barbarian

Looking really good so far Mr Hyde. You must have put in a lot of time on that.
I imagine it must have been a bit complicated to get your scripts to work like you mention for the health-meters and zombie-AI and such.
Ã,  Ã,  And I like your style of art too. It's fresh. Overal from what I seen so far, Great Job!

I'm a bit of a "zombie fan" myself, and I was actually thinking a long time ago I'd like to make a zombie-type game too, I still may in the future.
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, You've got some great ideas there.Ã, 
Keep up the good work. I look forwards to seeing the completed game.

Ã,  *Salutes*Ã,  Ã, --- Big Don, the Barbarian.
---------------

"Big Don's Adventure!"
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?topic=14181.0
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

tanjo

Very excited about this game.

I am actually working with a team who is making a zombie mmorpg , but i won;t publicise that in this topic , message me if you want details.

I would be glad to test out this game of yours , and am glad to see the inclusion of romero nods and winks.

Good job.

=The=Brat=

[scream]THAT TITLE SCREEN ROCKS![/scream]

jetxl

Brat, why the fuck are you digging up an year old topic?

=The=Brat=

D'OH

i pressed his signature and thought it was up to date.

>:( thats the second time i did that  >:(

CoffeeBob

Quote from: TheBrat499 on Tue 14/06/2005 12:37:23
D'OH

i pressed his signature and thought it was up to date.

>:( thats the second time i did thatÃ,  >:(

Sorry, I just had to. =P

Darth Mandarb

There's this word I like ...

It's, "Read".

Sometimes I actually read a thread before posting in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk