Trip on this. A moving thread.

Started by , Mon 02/02/2004 22:45:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord10

Actually I think such a Photograph Thread would be useful, so we wouldn't have to post the pictures of our cats or guitars to the Long Overdue Photos thread.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Timosity

Today I posted in this thread raised a point and posted pictures in the same thread, but it was the last post on the page so people may not see the photos so I thought I'd give people a chance to see them so I put the photo's in a new post

I just had the last week off, didn't get up to much but I went on a walk just within my local area, well it was a 25km (15.5 mile) local walk and that was after catching a train and ferry to the start of the walk which eventually ended at my home.

The walk follows a river that enters Sydney Harbour called the Lane Cove River, it's a National Park surrounding the river but it is a very narrow park as the river is closely surrounded by residential and industrial areas aswell as a few business parks.

I'll start off with a google earth map just to give you an idea of the path of my walk

The ferry trip from Circular Quay which is the main passenger ferry port in Sydney

The view from Woolwich, the suburb I caught the ferry to, The Lane Cove River enters the Harbour at this exact point from the left side of the photo

Just a view down the river

A raised board walk over a Mangrove swamp

Here's a couple of businesses close to the river

The walk does pass under a few Major roads along the way, This is actually one of the worst traffic spots currently in Sydney, It's been a construction site for quite a few years now, It's called the Lane Cove Tunnel and will possibly open sometime next year.

The suburb of Chatswood which is visible from many places

Just a nice little wind in the river as it gets narrower

The next couple are one of the reasons I went on this walk, this is an Eastern Water Dragon, which is a Lizard found all over the east coast of Australia, they are quite common and found in and around rivers and creeks. They are pretty good swimmers too as you may guess by the tail. They can grow up to 1 metre in length and their tail is about 2/3 the length of their bodies. When they want to run fast, they run on their hind legs.

Lazing about on a log

This was towards the end of the walk near my place looking back over where I'd just walked

After a 7 hour walk, I made it home. Hope someone finds it interesting.

Sylvr

7 hours. Whoa. That's a long walk.

And I searched for this thread so I could write down my creepy observation for today. <ahem> So I tried to log in here to the forums yesterday whilst at school, and apparently we're not allowed anymore because the crazy computer chap here "changed teh cookie settings". But today, as I came here (still in school now), I was already logged in!  :o That is creepy. It knew I was coming!  Lesson learned: Click "Logout!

Spares (classes) are boring. I am running out of ideas. I think that I will try to bring AGS editor along with me so that I can edit my games anywhere I go. Yes! Nerd-ism! This thread is for rambling, right?
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

LimpingFish

Today I found an old copy of The Koshan Conspiracy in the local Oxfam shop.
Almost minty fresh too.

GEAR! :D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

vict0r

Today i completed God of War.
A very satisfying end, i must say.

Erenan

Today I processed invoices for the Home Depot Supply.

That's about it.

EDIT: I also learned today that yesterday Strong Bad answered an E-mail that I sent him quite some time ago.
The Bunker

Rincewind

Well, today I'm going to lay down some snappy vocals for our next demo. Weyhey.
Haven't been in total top-shape vocally in a while now, so I hope it will sound all right...
Oh well, just the bass and a couple of guest perfromances left after that, and then it's complete, anyways. :)
Yeah, and the title of the demo is "Vogon Poetry", by the way. (Somebody's got to spot the reference and do a joke about it...)

Tuomas

Today I woke up on the floor with my neck hurting like hell and my socks saoking wet and 4 tickets to an inside party in my hands. Funny thing, I never bought any. Anyway, it appears I somehow managed get my jeans covered in mud and my expensive jacket too. Apparently I even broke my sunglasses, which is a shame because you can't get ones like these anymore. I had no idea where I was so I went out, bought some refreshing fruit drink-thing and ate 4 hamburgers and went home with bus.

Now all I have to do today is to solve 2 maths problems and find my bike. And how to get rid of this headache. And I am  not wiritng a 7 page essay in one hour, so I'm dropping out this course. Might as well do it later.

ahh, student life is awesome...

SSH

Quote from: Rincewind on Thu 05/10/2006 09:26:07
Yeah, and the title of the demo is "Vogon Poetry", by the way. (Somebody's got to spot the reference and do a joke about it...)

I think your lyrics counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor.

ManicMatt

Quote from: Tuomas on Thu 05/10/2006 09:54:15
Apparently I even broke my sunglasses, which is a shame because you can't get ones like these anymore.

I wonder why you can't get them anymore..  :P  :)

m0ds

That dragon is coool! Looked like a nice walk! :)

Today, for myself, is insignificant.

Yesterday however, I was informed of a theatre trip I'm going on with my mum, King Lear I beleive - which stars Sir Ian McKellin. And I have a front row seat! Awesome, I can't wait :D

Babar

Today (and pretty much most of recently), I had a less than pleasing day. Although the college I attend always had absurd uniform/clothing rules, they were generally not enforced. All of the sudden today, they had some fellow blocking the gate from all students who had even slightly deviated from the uniform. If there hair was a few mm longer than the (unspecified) max length, no go. If they had greater stubble visible than the (unspecified) limit, no go. If they sported a "frenchy" (ie. a neat beard  ::) ), no go.

I was stopped because I my pants were the winter shade of grey (I wonder when winter starts, in March?). After waiting for about 10 minutes, and realising I had already missed my first class, I decided to go the hours worth journey back home, nab my father's pants (which were almost the right colour), and return. Some students were still stuck outside, and some had gone, gotten a haircut and returned. There were even people who came by College bus had been taken off outside the college, and had no opportunity to change their situation in any way.

The worst thing was that it is the month of Ramadan right now, and most of the students were fasting. The college is very sensitive in that way. They had extended classes till 4 before Ramadan started, and since it was Ramadan, they must have thought "We should reduce the burden on the students". So they took out our compulsory tea break and lunch/prayer break to let us go home early. Needless to say, everyone is completely exhausted most of the time.

Anyhoo, I endured one crazed proffessor after another, the most absurd culminating with an ex-brigadier PhD, who accused us of smoking pot in the back and pissing on him, and tells us how disciplined they are at Baaastan university and Ham-Hi-T.

Back home now, waiting to break my fast...

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Tuomas

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 05/10/2006 10:47:42
Quote from: Tuomas on Thu 05/10/2006 09:54:15
Apparently I even broke my sunglasses, which is a shame because you can't get ones like these anymore.

I wonder why you can't get them anymore..Ã,  :PÃ,  :)

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3919/dsc002992xq.jpg Sadly my grandpa is already dead, and they don't make these anymore. Unless I make an order or so...

MashPotato

Today I got a job offer for my first regular job ever... and I accepted ;D
Starting next Tuesday, I start training as an art review editor, checking for mistakes in scientific/medical illustrations for textbooks :)

TerranRich

5 Oct 06 • 4:50 p

Yesterday I decided that I am going to resurrect my By the Sword project, which I started about 5 years ago and abandoned 2 years ago due to a hard drive crash. I've been reading all these tutorials on creating great hand-drawn and computer-drawn backgrounds, and I have the craziest idea of doing BTS in all computer-drawn as opposed to pre-rendered 3D. It'll save on computer processing time and hard drive space, and I can even do it all in low-res if I want, which will cut the game size down incredibly.

It's been tough these past few years, what with college and -- now that that's over with -- web design work I find myself busy with, and now a wedding to plan and baby on the way. Will I ever find the time to work on a project that I anticipated so much and loved so dearly? Sure, to you, it's only an amateur adventure game, but to me it's my brainchild...something I've been planning since I was a kid, waiting for my mom at a hair salon, making doodles in my notebook after having been inspired by playing Space Quest IV.

To be defeated by a simple hard drive crash...it's unspeakable to me now. Lately, every web design project that I've come across I have accomplished. I've always looked back on those accomplishments with awe, as when I first approach most jobs, I nearly question whether or not I can do it. But time and time again, I've proven myself as a web developer and designer.

Shouldn't that concept also apply to my second passion, adventure gaming? Damn right it should. I work on my web sites every little chance I get...I could do the same for my game.

It was a big step, deciding to go with hand/computer-drawn backgrounds, characters, objects, etc. I'm horrible at walk cycles. I suppose I'll use Poser for help on how each frame should look. Or I could try my hand at several tutorials and just practice, practice, practice. For too long I used Poser and Bryce as crutches, compensating for my inability to do anything graphically creative. However, over the past couple of years, I've become quite adept at using Illustrator and working with vector graphics, so perhaps I could integrate that knowlege in my background designs. The power of vector graphics is someting that isn't quite taken advantage of in aventure games, from what I could tell.

I bought a copy of King's Quest V from eBay last week and beat it a few days ago. It inspired me not only to consider picking up my project again, but also to do things right, and not have over-complicated puzzles or puzzles that didn't fit into the storyline, or puzzles that were done horribly and required dying in order to solve them.

Another huge part of this project will be re-planning a huge chunk of the game. I managed to find the plans for Chapters 3 through 6 in my "Sent" folder in my Yahoo! email account, and Chapter 1 I can reconstruct easily from the demo I still have. But Chapters 2 and 3 exist only in my slowly fading memory now. I have to try to guess what my intentions were and what I had originally planned when I reconstruct those two parts of the game. It's going to be a bitch.

But I'm going to do it. And I'll avoid one final mistake I had always made: setting deadlines. This time, it comes out when it's good and ready to come out.

:)

Fabiano

EDIT: I hate post thing with bad mood. It turns out that I feel worse when I re-read them. Lemme start again:

Today I woke up with a big headache. I hate wake up like that. After a long shower and a fast clothe change I kissed  my wife and took my dirt black fiat to work. Working in a bus company is strange. More strange because my family owns this company, that is far away from the city I grew up. In this company, the main managers are my cousin and me, and our parents and the rest of our family come about 2 times a year to visit. So, beggining of this year I left my city to live here.  My wife, graduated in dance and theatre, left the work that she was doing and came with me, to this (end of world) city. My life is good. I like it. we dont have friends here yet, but it will happen over time. So, I got in my job just to find out that all the banks are closed today, on strike. To make things better, payday is tomorrow, and I have 200 employees, and mostly 80% of the money is in the bank. Greeeat. Well, no sweat, because I have some money in my office safe, and I guess I can pay mostly 75% of the ppl tomorrow. After a morning with 2 meetings, I bought some barbecue for lunch and got home. My wife, doing the house cleaning, teaching in 2 dance class and one theatre class a week, is feeling lonely, most because she does nothing 70% of the day.I dont want her to stop the dance and theatre lessons, because she loves it, but loneliness can make people hate things that they love.
Anyway, I got home early today, kissed her a lot, spoke to her, and shes a little better. She left for a class and Im alone in my home now. Ill buy some candy and flowers to make a surprise for her, and then Ill do more cards of the boardgame im making. Shadowrun Boardgame!

Yeah, yeah, It happens. A lot.

Domino

Yesterday i had my dentist appointment to have my cracked wisdom tooth looked at. I just thought it had to be refilled, because i had fillings put in it back in 2004. But no, it couldn't be that easy i guess.

I was told it had to be removed. I was scared to death. Like some people already know i have major anxiety, and almost started panicking during my visit. I had two shots, one to my gums and one right in the roof of my mouth (holy crap that hurt)

Then the dentist did some pulling and pushing and wiggling of my tooth, while my heart was beating so fast i told him to stop because i thought i was having a heart attack. About a few minutes later he was able to extract the whole tooth without any problems.  This was the first procedure like this i have ever had so i was a tad bit upset afterwards. (I didn't even get to work yesterday). But now it is over and i'm waiting for it to heal. I know you aren't supposed to smoke after this, but i am smoking a few cigs tonight and hope the blood clot doesn't pop out and then i get the dreaded dry socket.

I am so glad thats over. Worst experience i've had in years.  :'( :'( :'(

Now i have a doctors appointment tomorrow too...what a week i'm having.

Erenan

Today I purchased three music CDs: A Twist in the Myth by Blind Guardian, Snow by Curt Kirkwood, and Kashmir Symphonic Led Zeppelin by Jaz Coleman and the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Peter Scholes.
The Bunker

Coolio

Two days ago we (my family) finally ordered a new computer to replace our ancient, ten year old dinasaur (aka computer)! ;D The old one has been acting up really bad lately(you can barely even use it without it crashing) so this is a much needed upgrade.
mmmmm... sparkly

m0ds

Today was interesting. I did some filming for a college music video, but that wasn't the most interesting part. Before we filmed, I had to pull over and wait for the other car to pick up our actress. On waiting, I decided to get my sunglasses out of my boot. They weren't in there so I fumbled around, and didn't take much notice of a car pulling out of it's drive behind me. And the worst part was HE hadn't noticed me! Looking down at the boot all I then saw was the rear of a big estate smash into the back of my fiesta, literally an inch away from crushing my legs! His car scraped my jeans but luckily I was not hurt! Well, I consider it lucky :p That shat me up totally, and he got out and was like "sorry, sorry". My car wasn't damaged, nor was his - luckily. And because I'm a nice guy I just told him to forget about it. Well, mainly because I didn't want anything to jeapordise the filming.

Then, however - near the end of the afternoon, my friends expensive camera fell off the dolly because of wind and it broke the viewfinder off :( Still, we got good footage!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk