Trip on this. A moving thread.

Started by , Mon 02/02/2004 22:45:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiki

Today I met Aaron Carter through a mutual friend.  He was, as one might infer, kinda annoying.

But still! :=

LGM

Ahh, the XL2. My favorite weapon.
You. Me. Denny's.

Domino

In memory of my tooth that was pulled last week, i did this really short sketch on a Post It Note at work today. It took me about 1 minute to draw, but you will be able to see the emotion from this picture that my poor tooth felt.

May it rest in peace in some Bio-Hazard landfill out there.

Shawn  :'(

EagerMind

Today I got the keys to my new apartment: A sweet downtown pad with a bunch of gorgeous women living in my building. Tomorrow the movers deliver all my stuff, and maybe someday I'll actually get all the boxes unpacked. Maybe if I unpacked the TV and computer last, it would help ....

Vince Twelve

Today, I was working on my AGS game at work.  I've been working on it for about six or seven months now and I was on track to finish this week.  The home stretch.  It was time for lunch, so I headed out, leaving AGS open.

When I came back from lunch, my computer was off.  The teacher who sits at the desk next to mine told me that some men came in to work on the electrical system and had to shut down the power for a few minutes, so he turned off my computer so nothing would get messed up...  My computer... a laptop... with a battery...  with two hours of battery life... Which would have gone into hibernation mode if it ran low on batteries and saved everything it was working on automatically...  My laptop which he did not need to touch!

I thought "Shit shit shit... Ok, maybe everything will be ok.  Everything should be fine.  Calm down.  Don't punch the teacher in the face."  I boot up the computer, load up AGS, ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR!  My sprite set had been corrupted.  Somehow, the teacher had managed to close down the computer and AGS and ruin my game...  I don't know how you do this, since AGS would automatically suggest saving before the computer would shut down.

I couldn't open the game.  Luckily, I had made a backup, but it was about a week old.  I copied the sprite set from the backup into the current directory to see if anything could be saved.  This time I could open the game and all my coding from the last week was intact, but hundreds of sprites were gone.

I went through filling every sprite slot with placeholder sprites to get rid of the error messages.  This took hours because everytime I put in one placeholder sprite, I had to go through hundreds of error messages as the editor notified me time and time again about each missing sprite in my current open folder.  It was gutwrenching.

Finally, I replaced every missing sprite with a placeholder and then began the task of replacing the placeholders with the proper sprites.  Luckily, most of my sprites were saved with numerically labeled files in nice organized folders on my hard drive.  But I have about fifty GUI sprites that I imported by building the whole GUI in Photoshop and bringing in the buttons/mouseovers/animations piece by piece via screen captures.  Of course I still have the Photoshop files, but I'm going to have to redo all of the screen capturing and importing tomorrow.

All in all, I'll probably lose two days of work to this, but I'm super pissed because this week was supposed to be such a good week...  I was supposed to finish... 

SSH

*cough* Backup you game files regularly *cough*

Vince Twelve

I do it once a week, though I should obviously do it more often, especially when I'm making really fast progress.  But the game's size is approaching a Gig and my laptop is quite slow by today's standards.  It takes so long to back it up...

Edit: The game folder's size is approaching a gig, not the game itself...

SSH

My backup recommendation is to have a zip file in your AGS folder. The first time you create the zip it might take a while, but each day, just add the game folder to the zip and it should only update the files which have changed. Obviously, you need to backup from time to time the files to another drive or CD in case of hard drive failure, but backing up to a zip is quick and easy and gaurds against AGS file corruption.

Now, if CJ would just implement version control integration...

dasjoe

... it's quite easy being the best.

Vince Twelve

These are both excellent suggestions, though I think one of them may be overkill  ;)  I'll definitely start doing the zip thing.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before...  Hopefully this will appease the file-redundancy gods.  Damn their insatiable appetites!

LGM

I ate a bad piece of sausage today...

Today was supposed to be a good day...

:(
You. Me. Denny's.

Sylvr

That's a terrible story. Terrible in the sense that it's terrible to have happened. Same thing happened with music I was writing a little while ago. I never bothered to re-write it-- and no, it wasn't backed up.

I may as well post something worthwhile now. Let's see.... I'm on the third floor of the school, in a computer lab with my music theatre pit-band class. I am 'transposing' *coughAGSingcough*. Heh heh. And back to work.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

ManicMatt

Quote from: [lgm] on Tue 10/10/2006 18:46:28
I ate a bad piece of sausage today...

The animal had it's revenge.

But anyways! my news would be that I asked the keyboardist of Jesus Jones if I could make a JJ myspace profile as they don't have one, and he thought it was a great idea, so I'm running it now! Yay!

Shut up.

Erenan

Tonight I am going to a Tony Levin Band concert with my girlfriend. It is going to be awesome. Just thought I'd mention this now since I'll probably get home super late and will be too tired to post it then. :)
The Bunker

TerranRich

Oh yeah? Nobody's got anything on me. I never backed up anything, and lost all my work...literally years of it...to a hard drive crash because I dropped my F-ing laptop. So there! :P

Tuomas

Today I opened this thread and got so bloody jealous of Erenan that I didn't feel like writing a longer post  :( Damn you. Tell me how great it was!

Erenan

Today I got home from work and posted in this thread. :P

Tuomas, it was great x 1,000,000. They played "Elephant Talk" as an encore, and Jesse Gress always pulls off an incredible Adrian Belew impression. They played a lot of material from Resonator, which I hadn't purchased yet, so most of the set was brand new to me. My girlfriend didn't like their stranger stuff, but I thought the whole durn show was a blast.
The Bunker

Domino

I need to get a new car. I have had my car for 5 years and that damn thing isn't getting any better.

I went to a dealership a couple of months ago with my dad and was going to buy a brand new car, but my credit came back and shot me in the ass.  I didn't have a down payment, i was gonna use my current car, but i still got rejected.

It is a 1997 chevy lumina, but right now i feel like i'm gonna die in that car. I have had my brakes worked on so many times that i have lost count and they still suck.  It is only a matter of time when i try to stop going 60 mph and they fail. That will be fun.

Damn credit and your stupid scores.

LGM

Haha, I remember that TerranRICH

What a n00b!
You. Me. Denny's.

Khris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk